Best Movie Villains

Tools    

Is white trash beautiful
Eve Harrington in All About Eve,god I had such a sensation to slap her,she was such a hag.

its Schindler's List

Jordan17, that is pretty great work. I like Robert Patrick from T2 especially. Now that is a pretty awesome villain. Great list though and some people that you wouldn't normally think of.

How about the Predator from the first Predator and not so much from everything since?
Thanks bobdanger! As we all know, villains are alaways the juciest roles to play and one played well (eg Robert Patrick as T-1000) can be awesome to watch. Here are a few more which spring to mind:

Kathy Bates as 'Annie Wilkes' in Misery (1990)

Alan Rickman as 'The Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Barbara Stanwyck as 'Phyllis Dietrichson' in Double Indemnity (1944)

Burt Lancaster as 'J.J.Hunsecker' in Sweet Smell of Success (1957)

Bette Davis as 'Regina Giddens' in The Little Foxes (1941)

Michael Madsen as 'Mr Blonde' in Resevoir Dogs (1992)

Jason Isaacs as 'Col. William Tavington' in The Patriot (2000)

Jack Nicholson as 'Frank Costello' in The Departed (2006)

Leandro Firmino as 'L'il Ze' in City of God (2002)

Pam Ferris as 'Agatha Trunchbull' in Matilda (1996)

Ann Savage as 'Vera' in Detour (1945)

Richard Attenborough as 'John Christie' in 10 Rilington Place (1971)

Toshiro Mifune as 'Tajomaru' in Rashomon (1950)

Christoph Waltz as 'Col Hans Landa' in Inglorious Basterds (2009)

Javier Bardem as 'Anton Chigurh' in No Country for Old Men (2007)

Chris Cooper as 'Robert Hanssen' in Breach (2007)

Anarchist within reason
White Goodman from "Dodgeball"

"Cram it up your cram hole Le Fleur"
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Patrick Bateman

The only recognizable glint of humanity - of a soul - seemed to emerge when he had his assistant Jean over for cocktails one evening. He learned through conversation that she was optimistic, still interested in achieving things and bettering herself for herself, not for accolades or status. Bateman told her she should go before she got hurt, revealing for the first time a human side and a sense of empathy.

Patrick Bateman does outrageous things in a search for his true self; the mundane day-to-day activities of life simply aren't fulfilling enough. His life, to this point, has been nothing of note: he has a cushy job and a cushy life with a set of friends that he felt necessary to fit in with. However, Bateman wants to fit in and be the best at the same time, a frighteningly impossible paradox that quite possibly leads to his sexual and homicidal adventures, all in search of something to fill that vacuum inside. But applying deep-cleansing face masks, espousing on the hits of Huey Lewis and Phil Collins, and quoting the likes of Ed Gein and Ted Bundy just isn't working.

A. True. Mastermind.

Five Villainous Vixens

M'onique as 'Mary Jones' in Precious (2009)

Sarah Michelle Gellar as 'Kathryn Merteuil' in Cruel Intentions (1999)

Lucy Liu as 'O-Ren Ishii' in Kill Bill Volume 1 (2003)

Jean Marsh as 'Queen Bavmorda' in Willow (1988)

Rebecca de Mornay as 'Peyton Flanders' in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (1992)

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Jordan17, you have a serious knack for this. This whole discussion has been great with a lot of folks that I wouldn't normally have thought of. The "ladies of evil" was classic too. Great touch. Your Robin Hood made me think. I love Alan Rickman (amazing actor, with a ton of range), but perhaps his best villain was as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. Tough call, but I think I would go with that one. Love the twist when he is found by Willis and pretends he is a hostage for a while. Don't see that very often in your action movies.

Patrick Bateman

The only recognizable glint of humanity - of a soul - seemed to emerge when he had his assistant Jean over for cocktails one evening. He learned through conversation that she was optimistic, still interested in achieving things and bettering herself for herself, not for accolades or status. Bateman told her she should go before she got hurt, revealing for the first time a human side and a sense of empathy.

Patrick Bateman does outrageous things in a search for his true self; the mundane day-to-day activities of life simply aren't fulfilling enough. His life, to this point, has been nothing of note: he has a cushy job and a cushy life with a set of friends that he felt necessary to fit in with. However, Bateman wants to fit in and be the best at the same time, a frighteningly impossible paradox that quite possibly leads to his sexual and homicidal adventures, all in search of something to fill that vacuum inside. But applying deep-cleansing face masks, espousing on the hits of Huey Lewis and Phil Collins, and quoting the likes of Ed Gein and Ted Bundy just isn't working.

A. True. Mastermind.
This is probably the best analysis of the character I've read!

Click image for larger version

Name:	rambo-2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	7392

Brian Dennehy - Sherrif Will Teasle - First Blood

Name:	ByrneEndOfDays.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	7393

Gabrial Byrne - The Devil - End of Days

Name:	imgface%20off4.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	7394

Nicholas Cage/John Travolta - Castor Troy - Face Off

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Love the fact that you threw Bateman in here Saully. What an amazing character (and movie for that matter) with such a complicated make-up. Great call.

Love the fact that you threw Bateman in here Saully. What an amazing character (and movie for that matter) with such a complicated make-up. Great call.
Bale as Bateman really was the perfect exemplification of a sociopath, to my mind: Supremely narcissistic, indifferent to the emotions of those he perceived as his lessers (which was pretty much everyone ), ruthlessly self-serving; Also charming, amusing, pitiful in his hollowness of character.

A truly great performance and a fascinating character. But then, I've always had a keen interest in abnormal psychology, so maybe that's just me.

Jordan17, you have a serious knack for this. This whole discussion has been great with a lot of folks that I wouldn't normally have thought of. The "ladies of evil" was classic too. Great touch. Your Robin Hood made me think. I love Alan Rickman (amazing actor, with a ton of range), but perhaps his best villain was as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. Tough call, but I think I would go with that one. Love the twist when he is found by Willis and pretends he is a hostage for a while. Don't see that very often in your action movies.
Thanks for your appreciation bobdanger!

On Rickman, I would definitely agree with Gruber being his best evil creation. However, I think somebody already mentioned that one...

Anyhow, since you so much enjoyed the 'Wicked Female of the Species' entry, its only fair we now look at their sinister male counterparts:

Five Menancing Monsters

Clancy Brown as 'Victor Kruger/The Kurgan' in Highlander (1986)

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as 'Shang Tsung' in Mortal Kombat (1995)

Colin Farrell as 'Bullseye' in Daredevil (2003)

Alfred Molina as 'Dr. Otto Octavius/Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2(2004)

Gary Oldman as 'Count Dracula' in Dracula (1992)