Prison Movies

Tools    

The shawshank Redemption is the best.
and the prison break is good recently.

can we consider "the man behind the iron mask" a prison movie?

Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
Try Murder in the first, starring Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater and Gary Oldman. It's very powerful with one of Bacon's best performances and Oldman is brilliant as the evil warden.
Oh man I forgot about that one. Yeah GREAT movie, I liked it a bunch. Bacon was intense, and Oldman too, as always. Cool little movie.

I don't know if it counts as a "prison movie" or not, but anyone else like "Sleepers" the movie with Jason Patric and Brad Pitt (and others) as the adult versions of kids from Hell's Kitchen who served time together in a juvenile facility where they were sexually abused by the guards, including Kevin Bacon?

Great cast including:
Brad Pitt
Jason Patric
Dustin Hoffman
Kevin Bacon
Minnie Driver
Bruno Kirby

Disturbing movie but REALLY well done.

Oh and "The Count of Monte Cristo" from a couple years back was pretty much the bomb too.

And "In the Name of the Father," starring Daniel Day Lewis, one of my favs.

Indie nod goes to: "Down By Law" directed by Jim Jarmusch, starring, Tom Waits, Roberto Benigni, and John Lurie

i was about to mention sleepers

A system of cells interlinked
"The Exorcist 1973"?

It's just The Exorcist

Big fan of the film, are ya?

Blood In Blood Out is one of the best prison movies I've seen. There's no breakouts or escapes but it's worth checking out if you haven't yet.

The HBO drama OZ had an escape during the 2nd season I believe.

One of the best i've seen is Bad Boys

I think this might a good place to ask this question. I think this might be a prison movie. Does anyone know what movie this is from?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	film18_35_stor.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	5777  

crazed out movie freak
Bad Boys with Sean Penn is my backup favorite next to Shawshank. Wasn't The actor in Bad Boys who played Viking in The Shawshank Redemption? The HBO miniseries Oz is a must see by the way. Such a terrific underrated show no longer on the air.

Yes the guy in Bad Boys played a prison guard in Shawshank kind of funny.

I didn't want to create new thread, so I used the search engine.

Near one month ago, I found interesting website connected with prison movies. What a pity that there aren't any prison TV Series.
https://www.prisonmovies.net/prison-movies

Do you know interesting prison TV series or other TV series with episodes connected with prison?

Some TV series:
  • Within These Walls (British)
  • Porridge (British)
  • Prisoner Cell Block H (Australian)
  • Bad Girls (British)
  • Wentworth (Australian)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Le Trou
Birdman of Alcatraz
A Man Escaped
Papillon
Lonely Are the Brave
Midnight Express
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
I Want To Live!
Cool Hand Luke
Brubaker
Escape From Alcatraz
The Shawshank Redemption

Many of mine were already mentioned. Others I love that only have scenes within prison.

"Freeway"

" American History X"

"Stir Crazy"

" Silence of the Lambs"

"Girl, Interupted"

" Witness Protection"

I have a skewed perspective on this, being possibly the only person in the discussion who has been inside a lot of prisons, thankfully on a purely professional basis. I had lots of experience "Inside" and long sit-downs with Correctional Officers. What struck me at the time was how different real prisons were from movies.

My favorite movie prisons were Shawshank, The Green Mile, Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs (I've actually been in the prison alluded to there), Cool Hand Luke and Dead Man Walking. Great movies, but totally scripted and fictional, not unlike how sleazy affairs get turned into high romance in other movies.

In my actual prison visits, one of my recollections is how several Officers made a point of telling me that it's nothing like Shawshank, how the characters, events and prison operations were flawed, etc. They seemed to have an attitude about that movie in particular, even though it's MY favorite lockup movie. Most of my own observations were how prison life is crashingly boring, totally controlled, constantly tense and intricately structured. Correctional Officers just want nothing to happen on their shift, want to go home to the kids and have a couple beers. The last thing you want is drama on YOUR shift and you don't engage with the inmates unless it's really necessary so meeting prison poets and philosophers probably won't happen.

None of that would make a good movie.

In my actual prison visits, one of my recollections is how several Officers made a point of telling me that it's nothing like Shawshank, how the characters, events and prison operations were flawed, etc. They seemed to have an attitude about that movie in particular, even though it's MY favorite lockup movie. Most of my own observations were how prison life is crashingly boring, totally controlled, constantly tense and intricately structured. Correctional Officers just want nothing to happen on their shift, want to go home to the kids and have a couple beers. The last thing you want is drama on YOUR shift and you don't engage with the inmates unless it's really necessary so meeting prison poets and philosophers probably won't happen.
You are right, but I think that any drama or action movie is other than reality. I think that main reason of this fact is need interesting plot and various characters, because the movie could be very boring and predictable. The main task of movies is an entertainment, and not image of real life. However, some prison movies are too naive and stupid.

You are right, but I think that any drama or action movie is other than reality. I think that main reason of this fact is need interesting plot and various characters, because the movie could be very boring and predictable. The main task of movies is an entertainment, and not image of real life. However, some prison movies are too naive and stupid.
They are a genre, a minor one at that. If I were a script writer, wondering what my next script would be, however, I can't help but wonder why I'd think that my next script would be about being in jail. I've been curious now and again, how I got to see Shawshank, but generally, a movie about a bunch of sweaty, angry guys with grudges and impulse control problems just isn't all that appealing to me.

Interestingly, Shawshank works for me about 50% due to Morgan Freeman's diction and the other half due to Stephen King and Frank Darabont's breezy writing and language, so not much of what works for me is about being in jail. I think they could have used their talents on other genres and, yes, they did.