Sad Times I Just Bought a 400 DVD Case/Wallet

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It's time to pack up and make shelf space from all those DVD's assembled over the years. Probably about half of which I don't intend to ever watch again. With everything going digital too I'm barely using my DVDs.

I haven't made the switch to digital/streaming as I find that "quality of service" isn't there yet... and honestly, for the things I look for in my media, I don't think it will ever be. So I don't think I'll ever make the "full" switch. Heck, I'm even in the process of saving for Laserdisc as Laserdisc provides "perks" that never transferred into the DVD and Blu-ray eras. I'd advise though not to get rid of your physical media as it is most certain you do in fact "own" these films in what could be a "original format" and, (as been proven already with other films such as most thing Disney now, Disney and Star Wars or Disney and the Splash fiasco), there is less of a risk of them being taken down or digitally altered. I double dog dare a streaming service host something like The Birth of a Nation, Song of the South, or Triumph of the Will. My guess is that these big corporations are too interested in the profits to put their heads on the line. And, (if your like Disney), your too much about the interests in the profits and trends of the modern day that they will literally alter and erase their own cinematic history without blinking an eye. Other things lost in streaming, but not all, is most commentaries, special features, booklets, etc. Again, to me, it's not worth the sacrifice. You risk losing a bit of "cinematic freedom" at the cost of "convenience."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I'm just getting rid of the boxes, keeping the films.

Agree with Dog.
Streaming services are abysmal at best, especially for the price you pay.

Said many a time, bad picture quality, worse sound... no commentaries or special features.
But I guess a soulless company that can upload something to a website, for free, and charge customers through the nose, makes more financial sense, regardless of what's actually lost through abandoning hard-copy media.

All compounded by this lockdown CoVid thing forcing cinemas and venues into bankruptcy, and keeping shops and stores closed and keeping highstreets abandoned.

Very sad days.

Addition... it's like the adverts I see on TV: "You can watch the entire box-set of XYZ, on our digital streaming service"

Box-set?
On a streaming service?

No such thing. It's technically false advertising.

But, like I said above, I guess paying £50 to watch something that was uploaded for free online, then paying £50 again if you want to see it again, and then another £50 to see something else, and another £50 to see it again... with bad picture quality and worse sound...

Yeah.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's time to pack up and make shelf space from all those DVD's assembled over the years. Probably about half of which I don't intend to ever watch again. With everything going digital too I'm barely using my DVDs.

I've been doing the opposite. With most people switching to streaming, I've been buying more and more used DVDs for less than $1 each. I just bought another large bookcase for my newest DVDs.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I keep my stuff on bins and shelves, I usually buy cheap.

I've been doing the opposite. With most people switching to streaming, I've been buying more and more used DVDs for less than $1 each. I just bought another large bookcase for my newest DVDs.
My plan is to first of all get rid of the rubbish that I've bought over the years, before digital became a thing I would buy a film I wanted to see, many of which turned out to be ****. So I end up with maybe one big shelf of classics.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My plan is to first of all get rid of the rubbish that I've bought over the years, before digital became a thing I would buy a film I wanted to see, many of which turned out to be ****. So I end up with maybe one big shelf of classics.

A lot of the DVDs that I buy are movies that I've never seen. I pick them based on either reviews that I've read of the movie, (many here on MoFo), or something about the movie that piques my interest, (either an actor in the movie or the synopsis written on the DVD package).

I pay so cheap for them that it's not worth getting rid of them. I stay mostly in the genres that I like, so I don't buy a lot of duds.

....or something about the movie that piques my interest, (either an actor in the movie or the synopsis written on the DVD package).
God bless you for spelling this correctly Always makes me cringe a little inside whenever I see 'peeks' or 'peaks' used instead.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
God bless you for spelling this correctly Always makes me cringe a little inside whenever I see 'peeks' or 'peaks' used instead.
"Not the 'vember"?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A lot of the DVDs that I buy are movies that I've never seen. I pick them based on either reviews that I've read of the movie, (many here on MoFo), or something about the movie that piques my interest, (either an actor in the movie or the synopsis written on the DVD package).

I pay so cheap for them that it's not worth getting rid of them. I stay mostly in the genres that I like, so I don't buy a lot of duds.
Again I'm not actually getting rid of them, just tucking them away in a binder about the size of a laptop case. Maybe in alphabetical order if I can be bothered. Getting rid of the boxes.

Addition... it's like the adverts I see on TV: "You can watch the entire box-set of XYZ, on our digital streaming service"

Box-set?
On a streaming service?

No such thing. It's technically false advertising.
I love box sets & 2 things that bug me: “box sets” that are actually just a disc of each season placed in a box. This is not a box set!

Then there are the “box sets” that are incomplete. Amazon has a “box set” of Homeland that only contains 1-7 seasons. There are 8 seasons, but the 8th season is not yet on dvd. Misleading & annoying.

I love streaming, but I love my dvd collection more. Will never stop buying DVDs.

Well I did all my dvds downstairs, about 300 or so, probably about 25% of my collection. Was terribly upset that I didn't leave enough space for the A,B and S's when doing it alphabetically so I had to make a new section in the middle. I felt like burning the house down and starting my life again but think I'll just buy a few new folders instead. Was fun deciding which classics deserved to stay in their own box, Bubba Ho Tep was one.......

I'm in the middle.
Whilst I'll never stop buying DVDs, I think for TV I am drifting to streaming services to save money.
With that said, If I cannot access something specific through streaming, DVDs become the next option for me

My Darth Star is in for a service
I prefer discs to streaming.
Like a lot of others I buy cheap and pre owned movies and I store them on shelving in Numerical/Alphabetical order.
I'm not OCD it makes looking for a particular film so much easier when you have 250+ Blu Rays and 180 + DVDs.
I have been toying with the idea of keeping discs together from franchises but thinking it could get a bit complicated.
I have also got an unwatched box set of the three original Star Wars movies on VHS tapes.

I'm in the middle.
Whilst I'll never stop buying DVDs, I think for TV I am drifting to streaming services to save money.
With that said, If I cannot access something specific through streaming, DVDs become the next option for me
Drifting toward the same thing, but for a different reason.

It takes forever for a tv show to release DVDs for each season. Sometimes up to a year after each season ends. So I streamed Succession, Ozark, The Handmaid’s Tale, etc., etc. I would have liked to add these shows to my dvd collection, but I no longer have the patience to wait for a dvd release.

I love box sets & 2 things that bug me: “box sets” that are actually just a disc of each season placed in a box. This is not a box set!

There are many problems with buying box sets. Some will be incomplete, as you have noted, so when you buy a box set, realize that there are differences. e.g. I've got a box set of the original Star Trek which comes with updated scenes. They've actually changed some of the space scenes so that they look "better". They do look better, but that's not what I remember them looking like when I was a young man. I could have gone with the blu ray version which gives you the option to watch the original or the updated, but the DVD without that option is what I went for. Not a biggie to me, but it might be for you.

My advice is to read the reviews of the box sets before buying. There are differences between them, and some of those differences might be the difference between paying 30 bucks or 300 bucks. Other differences might be trying to jam 10 episodes into one DVD which means compression, or it might be that the intro song is replaced with something else.

My biggest complaint about box sets thus far is that CBS uses a light gray background with small silver text on the DVDs. My old eyes can't read that without the correct lighting. WTF were they thinking?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I prefer DVD/Blu-rays. I mean, streaming ain't gonna save me from a peaceful Mathias Hues.

o.O