Mission Impossible II

Tools    

I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan, but I have been told by four different ppl, as of late, to go and rent MI 2.
The first one was pretty good, but I am reluctant to go get this one.
Has anyone seen it?
Should I rent it or not?

BTW, this is my very first post in this forum.......So Hiya!
I see a few familiar faces...or would that be SNs'....?!
Oh Well.....hi gang!

Faces works just fine...here's my face:

We just rented it recently here at my house - it's okay, but I saw it a day or two after it's release in the theatre, and it was much better that way, but either way "numba 1" was much better.

Hey, check it out: MovieForums first ever thread was on this subject!

http://www.movieforums.com/forums/sh...php?threadid=1

Didn't see it.
I'll have to agree with Chris. I thought the first Mission Impossible was a lot better than number 2. It seemed more suspenseful, and I liked all of the characters. It had more of a who's scamming who mystery-thing going.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I agree. I saw MI:II in the theaters, and thought it was cool and all, and then I rented it on DVD and realized its not all that good. The first one was much, much better. Yet not as good as even the worst Bond movie.

Didn't see it.
I'll have to disagree. I thought the first one was better than a lot of the bond movies.

I've only seen a few Bond movies, but I have to agree. It was more realistic - IE: the dude isn't sleeping around and being cool with all kinds of bad puns - he was purely utilitarian - not too many style points for Ethan Hunt - something that changed in Mi2, and hurt the film.

I guess you could say it was better then SOME Bond films. But not alot of them. Bond's ability to sleep with women, and then go save the world, twice, all before tea time is what makes him so cool. ALTHOUGH, I do think that Ethan Hunt's character seems slighty cooler for some reason. Alot of my friends told me that MI had such a confusing plot that made no sense, and then I saw it, and it made complete sense. I didn't see any flaws in it, and it had plenty of plot twists.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
You know what, I saw this thread and had nothing to say cause I hadn't seen MI2. And then I was talking to my best friend and she tells me we both watched it in the theater this summer the week it came out.

Good lord! So I think that really speaks to how umm ... unmoving this movie was. I don't even REMEMBER watching it and now that I can vaguely recall seeing that scene where he first gets called to his mission (flipping around on the cliffs) and some heavy duty and absolutely useless motorcycle "rearing" and tricks, I still can't remember anything else in the movie, what I saw or what I felt. Good grief. So I'm thinking the first one must have been better...

Re: your signature: it's the hair. My dad described it as "skanky looking" - I think he nailed it. I shouldn't talk though - I'm overdue for a haircut and look like a lot like that right now.

You're right, though, the movie only had a moment or two that stuck out - because it was too stereotypical in most respects. The first one was highly original, and was hard to forget.

not just the hair, the hair is typical, hollywood men don't know what to do with themselves and are following all the wrong trends, ie the sudden skeletonization of every once-hunky or attractive man. have you seen all those 5 o'clock shadow skinny Jack-from-Nightmare-Before-Xmas men out there now?

anyway ... his face has become kind of tight and spastic in this way I can't describe. It's not just age ... with age you weather and your skin actually loosens. Cruise's face used to be softer and while tight because it was young, was more ... i don't know, human, less plasticky. He was still like that in Jerry McGuire. He looks overly tanned, and his white teeth stand out. Maybe it was just MI2 but he looked freaky there. With the hair and the teeth and the skin he reminded me of a maniacal midget even though he's not THAT short...

________
Men with really white teeth shouldn't tan ... or men with tans shouldn't bleach their teeth.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Sort of.

I really wanted to see more of Anthony Hopkins. Part of me is happy he didn't taint himself with it though. I havn't seen "Instinct", but I'll bet it's really as bad as they say it is.

He was 100% perfect in his small cameo though. Made me chuckle a few times.

In my opinion Instinct was a very good movie. I don't really know why. I just liked it alot. It was one of those few movies where I actually sympathize with the main character...

Re: MI2. The only thing I remember was being very upset when they started tearing up that Audi and Porsche. Almost had to look away to keep from crying.

Didn't see it.
He sure has gone for the skanky look, hasn't he? I don't get it either.

re: the audi and porsche ... ryan you crack me up! i know what you mean though.

World is Not Enough -- all Pierce Brosnan Bond movies use the latest sports model of the BMW ... wow, thought you sticklers for Bond would have known that!

They've also taken to a very pathetic announcement of the type of car, details and all, when Q explains Bond's latest vehicle of choice.

In TWINE, that's one of the new BMW Z8s. It's the top of the line BMW sports car. I think they run about $120K in real life. He had a 750iL in Tomorrow Never Dies, and he very briefly drove a Z3 in Goldeneye. (Neiman Marcus even had a special "James Bond Edition" Z3 in their Christmas catalog that year.)

I love those cars in the latest Bond films, but it just seems wrong to have Bond driving German automobiles. He should be driving an Astin Martin (of course, Ford owns Astin Martin now, so I guess those would technically be "American" cars, but they are still built in Britain).

But product placement wins out over loyalty these days. Bond went BMW because BMW paid for the right to have Bond drive their cars.

But since I am an Audi fanatic, it was especially hard to watch Thandi Newton purposely tear up that Audi TT Cabriolet and let it fall off that cliff. Shameful. I'll never watch that movie again. They should have a warning on that film.