Coronavirus

Tools    

One of Covid's serious complication is pneumonia. It happens far rapidly than normal pneumonia.
Everyone - especially older folks - should have a pneumonia shot. I do.

I got my first dose today.

What an interesting process. And then after I had to sit in a chair for 15 minutes because that is how they are screening for severe reactions. In a way that is hard to explain, the whole layout had a weird sci-fi vibe to it. Maybe just because of how the chairs were so meticulously spaced out.

I got my first dose today.
Husband got his Wednesday & will get 2nd dose February 19. He was amazed at how many people were there on the medical staff for each patient. This was in the ER too.

No clue when I will be eligible though Connecticut seems to be working efficiently so I’m not worried.

Speaking of “tailspins”, I worry about a thousand times more now than I did a year ago. I am terrified I will get the flu (again) as I have the past few winters (so much for my annual flu shot) & will think I have the virus. Glad I “retired” from my church volunteer food pantry as I was dealing with way too many people inside. They can manage perfectly well without me & I don’t need all those germs.
Here you are right. Fewer contacts help reduce the risk of infection. Especially when it comes to contacts in an enclosed space without adequate ventilation. In such situations, no vaccine will give 100% protection. In our country, sick people like to go to public places and infect everyone around.

Sigh... My Nan has been feeling ill for the last week and was tested and unfortunately tested positive for covid this time. It's been about a week so far and not showing any of the main symptoms so hopefully it will not get any worse.

A few other members of my family have had to go into isolation who have been in contact with Nan, two help caring for her and obviously they have been in contact with who they live with.

My Nan and another relative have had their first dose of the vaccine so hope that will help somewhat. Fingers crossed.

I live at the other end of the country so haven't been in physical contact with her or the rest of the family but really annoyed because I can't do anything like food shopping for her.

Sigh...

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your Nanna!

I live at the other end of the country so haven't been in physical contact with her or the rest of the family but really annoyed because I can't do anything like food shopping for her.

Sigh...
But she knows you love her & care for her. That must mean a ton for her.

Sigh... My Nan has been feeling ill for the last week and was tested and unfortunately tested positive for covid this time. It's been about a week so far and not showing any of the main symptoms so hopefully it will not get any worse.

A few other members of my family have had to go into isolation who have been in contact with Nan, two help caring for her and obviously they have been in contact with who they live with.

My Nan and another relative have had their first dose of the vaccine so hope that will help somewhat. Fingers crossed.

Sigh...
Not being able to be there, in person, is one of the hardest things about all of this. I hope she continues to stay mild in her symptoms.

^ Thank you guys.

Still no main symptoms(same for my relatives who are isolating) and she's just had a second test sent off, so see what comes back with that.

~~~~~~~~

And finally today the Doctor visited and my Mum received her vaccine, she's had to wait a bit longer for it because she can't leave the house, so very happy today that she's got her first dose.

^ Thank you guys.

Still no main symptoms(same for my relatives who are isolating) and she's just had a second test sent off, so see what comes back with that.

~~~~~~~~

And finally today the Doctor visited and my Mum received her vaccine, she's had to wait a bit longer for it because she can't leave the house, so very happy today that she's got her first dose.
What is the test result? Hopefully negative. Of course, for some time I was rather frivolous about COVID, but now, seeing the terrible statistics, I fully understood that this is not a joke. Maybe many suffer the disease in a mild form, but the number of cases and the difficulty in obtaining the highest quality and timely medical care in some regions is already scary. After all, now is the 21st century and it is a shock that we cannot stop the disease. It's like we went back 100 years ago.

After all, now is the 21st century and it is a shock that we cannot stop the disease. It's like we went back 100 years ago.
COVID 19 wasn’t here 100 years ago. We are stopping it. We now have a vaccine.

COVID 19 wasn’t here 100 years ago. We are stopping it. We now have a vaccine.
I know what you mean and yes humans didn't have a plaque of Covid 100 years ago. But just as a side note Covid 19 has been on the Earth for no doubt 10,000's of years BUT in only select animal populations where it wasn't a problem.

What is the test result? Hopefully negative. Of course, for some time I was rather frivolous about COVID, but now, seeing the terrible statistics, I fully understood that this is not a joke. Maybe many suffer the disease in a mild form, but the number of cases and the difficulty in obtaining the highest quality and timely medical care in some regions is already scary. After all, now is the 21st century and it is a shock that we cannot stop the disease. It's like we went back 100 years ago.
I remember the Katrina hurricane disaster where so many people needlessly died because supplies and basic help wasn't gotten to them in time. Yes the 21st century has amazing medical breakthroughs but that doesn't help when huge numbers of people need those specialized services. Basically humanity is helpless if masses of people need help all at one time, then the system becomes overwhelmed.

I know what you mean and yes humans didn't have a plaque of Covid 100 years ago. But just as a side note Covid 19 has been on the Earth for no doubt 10,000's of years BUT in only select animal populations where it wasn't a problem.
It started last year in animal populations so it became a problem.

It started last year in animal populations so it became a problem.
Yes I'm agreeing with you 100%. I'm just *pointing out that Covid isn't new to the planet, just new to the human population.

*that's pointing out to the board, not you specifically.

Coronavirus is a mutation of something that has been around for a while, from what I understand.

For example, I have a veterinary book for cat care, and I was looking something up and one of the possible culprits of the symptoms was . . . Coronavirus! It was weird seeing it in print that way.

Coronavirus is where the flu comes from. So yes, there are many many variations of it.

Coronavirus is where the flu comes from. So yes, there are many many variations of it.
That's not really accurate. The flu is caused by a different family of viruses.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu
COVID-19: Caused by the 2019 coronavirus, also known as SARS-CoV-2.
Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses. Different strains circulate each year.
And the common cold is caused by another family of virus the Rhinoviruses.

That's not really accurate. The flu is caused by a different family of viruses.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu
And the common cold is caused by another family of virus the Rhinoviruses.

Your right of course. I meant colds. The coronavirus family is immense and a vast number of colds come from them. We just don't hear a ton about them until they really start killing people.