100 Favourites from the Future

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw those all at the theatre when they first came out, but I'm weird and I've never been to Australia, so take it for what it's worth.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That is indeed Jim Jim Falls, which I believe to be at or very near to Katherine Gorge, never having actually been there, but being a really weird-type guy, I believe I'm at least partially correct.

That is indeed Jim Jim Falls, which I believe to be at or very near to Katherine Gorge, never having actually been there, but being a really weird-type guy, I believe I'm at least partially correct.
You probably are

I saw those all at the theatre when they first came out, but I'm weird and I've never been to Australia, so take it for what it's worth.
Wow! I'm impressed you saw Used Cars at the cinema, I would have been six at the time. It's a real shame that movie flopped, it certainly didn't deserve to, the T.V. spots and trailers alone were hilarious. Most people I mention the film to, just stare at me blankly and say 'Used Cars? never heard of it, sounds crap' I guess they've sort of got a point. Still, I've seen that movie more than any other, and 'trust me' it always makes me laugh. The dvd commentary is great too, almost as funny as the movie.

As for your Australia comment, you've kind of lost me on that one.
If you're quoting from one of my favourites, then I'm sorry, I must have forgotten that line (though it does sound like something Harvey Pekar, or Woody Allen would say). If not, please explain...

Welcome to the human race...
I think Used Cars is doing the rounds on Foxtel these days. Will try and check it. Can't really go wrong when Kurt Russell is involved.

Besides, pretty sure the whole Australia comment is based on the fact that Nebbit is really Australian. If I'm wrong, someone say so.

A system of cells interlinked
Awesome list, and, very similar to my own taste in many ways. I must see some of these films I haven't heard of, though.

Meanwhile, I love that you have Near Dark in your Top 10, as it is my favorite Vamp flick these days. I love the almost seamless genre blend they pulled off. The bar scene is legendary!

Great stuff, all around, and, as usual with these lists, I have some watching to do!

100 Favourites from the Future: Bubbling Under

Hello again friends.

This is just a fun little after thought, regarding some of the films that just missed out on my list. I'm not going to write any summaries, or put them in any particular order, I'm simply going to name them below.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner 1980)

Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon 1985)

The Warriors (Walter Hill 1979)

The Wanderers (Philip Kaufman 1979)

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Michael Cimino 1974)

Aguirre, Wrath of God (Werner Hezog 1972)

Deconstructing Harry (Woody Allen 1997)

Ms. 45 aka Angel of Vengeance (Abel Ferrara 1981)

Angel Heart (Alan Parker 1987)

Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro 2006)

Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez 2007)

'Q' aka Q: The Winged Serpent (Larry Cohen 1982)

L.A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson 1997)

Humanoids from the Deep aka Monster (Barbara Peters 1980)

Days of Heaven (Terence Malick 1978)

Serpico (Sidney Lumet 1973)

After Hours (Martin Scorcese 1985)

El Mariachi (Robert Rodriguez 1992)

No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen 2007)

The People Vs. Larry Flynt (Milos Foreman 1996)

and many many more.

Have you seen your number #86 is being remade- link
Yes I was aware of this, who knows, it may be ok, the cast is certainly impressive. Have you seen the original?

No, hadn't even heard of it before your list- like quite a few others lol. I'm guessing it will probably get an upgraded release (if there is one already out to upgrade) before remake goes theatrical. Not too sure on what Tony Scott will bring to the film, didn't get the impression the original was the kind of film that would suit his editing fetish. Just saw he's remaking The Warriors as well.

Yes it has a bog standard MGM UK dvd release. I'm rather loathe to buy it though as a lot of the MGM dvds (that aren't special editions) have got crappy widescreen transfers, i.e. you lose the edges, most noticably in the opening title sequences. My The Apartment dvd is like this, and my old The Good, the Bad and the Ugly dvd (before I upgraded) was the same. I refuse to buy MGM dvds now unless they're special editions, and as a result have only got Pelham taped off the TV. You should try and check it out though, it's got a great gritty 70's New York feel, brilliant score, and fine performances. I'm not in the slightest bit surprised it's being remade.

Yeah, i'm not over the moon about most those MGM releases but they do have a pretty good back catalogue of 70s films. Cheers for the recommendation, comparing our favourite lists think i'd like everything you recommend though.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
Apparently he's "GONE FISHING"!?!?!!?

What the hell man, come back! Or at least tell us where/why you've gone!

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Is it something we said? D=

Give us another chance!

It's not you it's me!

His last post was in the personal picture thread.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I've got to say your right To Live and Die in L.A. is a return to form with Freidkin, what happened? I remember thinking it was all over and then waiting for about 5 minutes and then he begins to paint a whole new picture of what the film is all about. It's in your face filmmaking.

You mention Escape from New York and They Live as being flawed i'm not going to argue or disagree. Would you credit this to being of a smaller budgeted film, or a director going threw growning pains or just a simple point of storytelling.

I recently re-watched Manhunter and everything you say is true and more. This is a stagering film. Have you seen The Keep, it's blassy muddled but relivent and intriuging.

Ghost World, The idea of friendship lost. the growning up after high school. I felt extremely depressed after watching this and have yet to watch it again.

Animal House has it's appeal and appreciatation. I'm not prone to think this is bad but merely a good film. Landis has done better but again I can see the appeal of it. what did you think of The Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places and Spies Like Us.

Planet of the Vampires was one of the first films in your top 100 and honestly after see it I was expecting to see more of Mario Bava, interesting that this film marks his only appearence.

Which do you perfer Aliens original cut or director cut ?

The Hitcher is one of those love it or hate films. I love it for it's ability to shake genre conventions and it's pure joy of insanity.

Cube is creative low budget filmmaking at it most raw and intellagent. I remember for days thinking about this film and what it's intentions were.

Vanishing Point, I know they tried to remake this film but it a purely 70's oriented film it doesn't transist into an other decade. It's a vault film a time capsule so to speak. drug induced. There's meaning in there somewhere.

I love Akira Kurosawa and i've notice you do to. Where about do you consider Stray Dog, Red Beard and High and Low.

Laurel and Hardey have you seen BlockHeads. I haven`t seen much of there I`ll defaintly add the ones you mentioned to my too see list, thanks.

I dug Intacto not as much as you obviously did. To me it`s all in the concept and the concept is almost too much for the director to handle. I felt the material couldn`t have been any strong and that the directing lets this one down a bit. I remember getting this weird feeling right after watching this that America (Hollywood) was going to remake it. Not unlike The Vanishing, Insomnia, Nightwatch etc

HUGE GIGANTIC props for mentioning Martin. Everything made for an inventive film. Low key lighting. gritty film, subtle atmosphere, low budget, organic acting. fundemental creative filmmaking. So groundbreaking no one has dare to repeat, remake or recapture it.

You mentioned Robocop, Starship Troppers and Total Recall all I love if you haven`t seen Flesh and Blood or his earlier dutch stuff such as The Fourth Man and Soldier of Orange I highly recommend them.

The Quiet Earth it`s a sci-fi that`s not really about sci-fi. I know i`ll get some slack for this but Geoff Murphy has made some interesting film such as Freejack and Goodbye Porky Pie I even liked Under Siege II to a point of what it is it does good.

Night of the Creeps has been on my too see list after buying Monster Squad a few months ago.

If I could recommend anything to you I`d recommend Sword of Doom and anything directed by Senji Suzuki espically Branded to Kill and Toyko Drifter.