100 Favourites from the Future

→ in
Tools    

Excellent list so far, man.

You've put The Terminator in the exact spot I was planning on putting it, too. Ah, the greatest minds think alike

That said, I must admit that I was a bit startled when I saw the remake of Solaris pop up on your list. In fact, i really didn't like both of them. Got to be honest, I couldn't even finish the original Solaris. I just felt it was down right dull. The remake, whilst better, is still a bit boring. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

But great list nonetheless.

Ok, we're down to brass tacks now. The previous eighty films are all great in my eyes, but these next twenty (or so) are special.

20. Blue Collar (Paul Schrader 1978)

19.Martin (George A. Romero 1977)

Romero's masterpiece (and best film) is a savvy updating of the vampire myth, and one of the best horror films of the 70's. Martin (brilliantly played by John Amplas) is a deeply disturbed seventeen year old who goes to live with his god (and vampire) fearing uncle. His uncle is convinced that Martin is Nosferatu and vows to save his soul before killing him. Although not a vampire in the traditional sense, Martin does drink blood, carefully selecting his victims and using razor blades instead of fangs. His killings also have a disturbing sexual undertone as he anesthetizes the victims before molesting and killing them. The film cleverly contemporizes the vampire, remaining ambiguous as to whether Martin is or isn't immortal. Romero artfully intersperses black and white flashbacks, that may be Martin's real vampiric past, or merely his fantasies. To sum up, Martin is an extremely intelligent modern vampire film, that plays with themes of teen alienation, and sexual awakening. Sadly though, the film has been largely forgotten, overshadowed by Romero's zombie films. If you like the serial killer/vampire horror genre and haven't seen this, you should track it down immediately. Highly recommended.

18. Play It Again Sam (Herbert Ross 1972)

Hilarious film adapted from Woody Allen's play of the same title. Allen plays Allen Felix a neurotic film critic, who on being dumped by his wife Nancy (Susan Anspach), goes through an embarrassing personality crisis. His ego severely dented, Allen (who hero worships Humphrey Bogart) begins dating again with the help of his best friends, Linda and Dick Christie (Diane Keaton and Tony Roberts). The result is a funny series of vignettes following Allen's tragic attempts to find a new partner. All whilst he receives advice from Bogart (brilliantly played by Jerry Lacey) the physical manifestation of his subconscious. Allen becomes increasingly attracted to Linda, sparking off a series of events that lead to the films climactic homage to Casablanca. This is the film that turned me onto Woody Allen, it's very funny stuff, and the dialogue is masterful. If you don't like Woody and haven't seen this, I dare you to give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

17. Don't Look Now (Nicholas Roeg 1973)

Don't Look Now is the scariest horror movie I've ever seen. I only have to think about the films climactic scene, the goosebumps hit me and I'm left nervously looking over my shoulder. John and Laura Baxter (Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie) move to Venice to get over the tragic death of their daughter. Once there however, they encounter two sisters who claim to be psychic, and warn them that John is in terrible danger. Skeptical, John ignores them until he begins to have his own psychic premonitions in which his red cloaked daughter roams Venice. It soon becomes clear that a sinister prophecy is gradually being realized with terrifying results. Don't Look Now is a chilling masterpiece, right from the opening shot this film is deeply unsettling. Nicholas Roeg's vision is the pure definition of art house horror, wonderfully photographed (all his films are) and acted, and sporting one of the most beautiful sex scenes ever filmed.

16. The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean (John Huston 1972)

Welcome to the human race...
Keep 'em coming, dude.

Just curious - you've listed a few Carpenter films (all of which are favourites of mine as well). What's your opinion on the rest of his filmography?

Keep 'em coming, dude.

Just curious - you've listed a few Carpenter films (all of which are favourites of mine as well). What's your opinion on the rest of his filmography?
Hi there,

Re my opinion on John Carpenter's other films.

The Good

Dark Star
Starman
Christine
Big Trouble in Little China
The Fog
Halloween
Elvis (TV movie)

The Bad

Vampires
Ghosts of Mars
Escape From L.A.
Prince of Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Village of the Damned

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The Bad
Village of the Damned
Aww man, I actually liked this one.

15(six way tie). The Lone Wolf & Cub Series.

Most people are only aware of Lone Wolf and Cub through an American made film called Shogun Assassin. Shogun Assassin is great in it's own right, but what a lot of people don't realize is that the film was edited/made out of the first two installments in a series of six Japanese films. Shogun Assassin also had a sequel called Lightening Swords of Death, but let's not confuse things. This post is about the original six Japanese films which were adapted from Kazuo Koike & Goseki Kojima's long running cult comic series. All six films are great, combining the themes of Akira Kurosawa and old Shaw Brothers movies, with the visual style of Sergio Leone. Here they are in order below.

Sword of Vengeance (Kenji Misumi 1972)

In this first installment we are introduced to Ogami Itto (Tomisaburo Wakayama) the official executioner to the Shogunate. Ogami is framed for treason by sworn enemies the Yagu Clan, and his wife subsequently murdered. When the Shogun's officials arrive at Ogami's house and demand that he commit seppuku to save his honor, Ogami refuses and kills them all. He subsequently escapes with his baby son Daigoro (Akihiro Tomikawa), the two roaming the countryside together as ronin for hire. The Yagu clan now in favor with the Shogun attempt to hunt down and kill him. But as the official executioner to the Shogunate, Ogami's prowess with the sword is unmatched. Teaching his son in the ways of assassination, Ogami vows to walk in the netherworld between Heaven and Hell, the two becoming known as the Lone Wolf and Cub. Sword of Vengeance isn't the best in the series, there's a lot of scene setting, and most of the extremely gory action is confined to the final act. Still with that said it's undeniably a great swordplay movie, high on style and sporting some breath taking imagery.

Babycart at the River Styx (Kenji Misumi 1972)

If those three dudes with the hats look familiar, that's because John Carpenter borrowed them in his fun flick Big Trouble in Little China. Baby Cart at the River Styx is my favourite film in the series, it's ultra cool, has a weird atmosphere, and some of the best sword fights I've ever seen. Ogami Itto and Daigoro come up against a female group of ninja in the employ of the Yagu Clan. They are also hired by a poor village to assassinate a traitor who plans to sell it's secrets (concerning the village dye trade) to the Shogunate. To kill the traitor Ogami must first eliminate the man's three bodyguards the 'Gods of Death' (pictured). This installment is pure class, particularly the scene in which due to freezing weather, Ogami and Diagaro huddle naked with the leader of the ninja women. She reaches for her knife to stab him, but when Daigoro plays with one of her nipples, compassion takes over. Brilliant.

Babycart to Hades (Kenji Misume 1972)

If you thought the last one was violent, check out the scene in this one were Ogami kills an entire army single handedly. The film opens similarly to Sanjuro, with (in this case) Ogami defending the honor of a prostitute. To save her he volunteers to let the Yakuza torture him with 'the Joro', a method where he hangs upside down while people hit him with paddles. Impressed with his courage, and suspecting him to be the Shogunate's executioner, the Yakuza leader hires the Lone Wolf & Cub to assassinate an evil Chamberlain. The opening scenes of this film are beautifully acted, and once again the Japanese scenery is beautifully photographed. Some people rate this installment as the best in the series.

Babycart in Peril (Buichi Saito 1972)

Directorial duties were handed to Saito for this fourth installment, and as such, many people see it as the weakest in the series, including myself. But that's not saying much, because it's still a great flick, I mean just check out the screen shot above. Ogami is hired to kill a tatooed lady who is in turn killing the men who raped her. An expert with a short sword she is driven by vengeance, and proves hard to track down. When Ogami finally does meet her, the two form a mutual respect, Ogami relating her plight as similar to his own. The film is also notable as it's the only episode in which Ogami fights Retsudo, the head of the Yagu clan. Once again the fights and photography are simply stunning, though the film does have some pacing issues. Still the sight of the bear breasted lady (pictured) brutally dispatching numerous foes is jaw droppingly cool.

Babycart in the Land of Demons (Kenji Misume 1973)

The nastiest and goriest of the series this one. Ogami has to face five samurai to prove he is indeed the Lone Wolf and Cub, and therefore worthy of being hired. As he dispatches each adversary, they give him one fifth of his fee and bits of information on his assignment. His mission turns out to be the assassination of a Daimyo, his concubine and their five year old daughter. Along the way, we're treated to a brilliant scene involving young Daigoro's honorable defence of a female pickpocket. This one has some of the best photography of the Series, and the scene in which Ogami fights a group of ninja in a darkened temple is brilliant.

White Heaven in Hell (Yoshiyuke Kuroda 1974)

The weirdest of the lot, and the only installment to introduce supernatural elements. This one has Ogami fighting Retsudo (though not one on one) and the remaining members of the Yagu Clan (most of whom Ogami killed in the earlier films). Retsudo places a curse on Ogami, so that everyone he comes into contact with is murdered. Afraid, Ogami also has to do battle with a group of undead ninjas (though they don't resemble zombies) and in the films finale, the entire Yagu Clan on a snowy mountain top (pictured). With a strange atmosphere, this final installment is sometimes a little hard to follow. But as usual the visuals and fights are superb. To sum up White Heaven in Hell caps off what is in my humble opinion, one of the best series of films ever made. Oh yeah, and I'm talking about in the world, not just Japan. Go and buy these classics now.

Splendid stuff! I also have Lone Wolf and Cub quite high up on my list and i also tied them since i found it hard to pick a favourite (in my last list i had Land of Demons). All are excellent and would definitely urge anyone who thinks Kill Bill Vol 1 is good, to see these gems instead.

Splendid stuff! I also have Lone Wolf and Cub quite high up on my list and i also tied them since i found it hard to pick a favourite (in my last list i had Land of Demons). All are excellent and would definitely urge anyone who thinks Kill Bill Vol 1 is good, to see these gems instead.
A few people have said our lists are similar, not really surprising as most of these films are cult classics. I was kind of expecting a lot of my choices to have been listed by others already. Though hopefully some people may discover something new through reading my list. My idea to tie choices only really came about when I realized I'd forgotten a few films and would have to squeeze them in somehow. Though it was always my intention to include all six Babycart films. I haven't looked at other people's lists yet as I've been busy doing my own, so any similarities are purely coincidental.

A few people have said our lists are similar, not really surprising as most of these films are cult classics. I was kind of expecting a lot of my choices to have been listed by others already. Though hopefully some people may discover something new through reading my list. My idea to tie choices only really came about when I realized I'd forgotten a few films and would have to squeeze them in somehow. Though it was always my intention to include all six Babycart films. I haven't looked at other people's lists yet as I've been busy doing my own, so any similarities are purely coincidental.
I ended up with a lot of ties on my first Top 100 for same reason, heck i've had to extend my 160 to 170 as keep remembering ones i've missed. Think it's going to look like i'm copying you

And i've got a shed of new films to check out from your list

14. The Idiots aka Idioterne (Lars Von Trier 1998)

Repellent exploitation or non conformist allegory? Personally I think Von Trier's film is a bit of both. It concerns a vulnerable young woman called Karen (Bodil Jorgensen in an excellent performance) who becomes involved with a group of idealists. Said group feign mental disability in order to provoke varying emotional responses from the unsuspecting public. Karen, at first repelled, gradually comes to accept the group, emerging as the only one able to take their philosophy to its ultimate conclusion. The Idiots is not only hilariously funny, it also has (in my opinion) the most powerful final scene in cinematic history. The acting is first rate too, and Von Trier cleverly intersperses documentary style interviews with the group set after the events of the film. Brilliant.

American Splendor (Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini 2003)

12. Heat (Michael Mann 1995)

Breathtakingly classy, sprawling crime saga, the first film to feature Robert De Niro and Al Pacino together. Story concerns Lt. Vincent Hannah (Pacino) as he relentlessly hunts down a sophisticated, highly organized gang of robbers, lead by Neil McCauley (De Niro). Both men are workaholics, and the best at what they do, though Hannah has family problems, and McCauley commitment issues. The two form a begrudging mutual respect, each vowing to take the other down without hesitation should their circumstances require it. Film is long and epic, but it never meanders or loses it's focus, Heat is compelling, thoroughly satisfying stuff from start to finish. The performances are of the highest caliber as you'd expect, though most people say Pacino steals the movie. For me however, it's De Niro's performance that shines, he gives McCauley an understated depth and mystery that's beguiling. I always find myself rooting for him when I watch Heat, even though I know how the film ends. Masterpiece.

11. Fingers (James Toback 1978)

*gasp* another obscure film from my list on here. Glad to see another fan

So does the Three Colours trilogy bear any connection with each other entry? It sounds like they're all individual but i think i always assumed there was some thematic connection or under running similarity.

*gasp* another obscure film from my list on here. Glad to see another fan So does the Three Colours trilogy bear any connection with each other entry? It sounds like they're all individual but i think i always assumed there was some thematic connection or under running similarity.
Hmmm, now I'm starting to detect sarcasm.

Re Three Colours - Each film in the trilogy has its own self contained story, though all three films explore themes surrounding freedom. There is one scene involving an old lady in all three films, but I don't want to spoil it. None of the main characters in each installment interact with characters from any of the other films, they just appear in the background. For example, Binoche doesn't talk to Delpy in White, but she does briefly appear in the film. The characters don't meet until the final scene in Red, and even then they don't really talk to each other. If you haven't seen these, I recommend them over all the other films on my list so far, they're excellent.

They've been on my radar for a while, just haven't any urge to watch them till now.

And that wasn't sarcasm, just at my list perhaps being overshadowed when people think i'm copying you lol

10. (Tie) Rolling Thunder (John Flynn 1977)

Dredd (Pete Travis 2012)

9.Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen 1984)

This is Woody's best film in my opinion (though most people prefer Manhattan). Allen plays Danny Rose, a down on his luck showbiz promoter with the worst acts imaginable (including a blind xylophone player). Nevertheless Danny is an enthusiastic, kind hearted soul, who goes out of his way to help his clients, and closest friends. Things seem to be looking up for Danny, when he takes washed up alcoholic lounge singer Lou Canova (Nick Apollo Forte giving a great performance) under his wing. Danny helps clean him up, and slowly Lou starts to make a successful comeback on the back of a nostalgia revival. The only problem is Lou can only perform with his mistress Tina Vitale (Mia Farrow) present. As Lou is married, it's left to Danny to chaperone Tina to the gigs, passing her off as his own girlfriend. This proves dangerous as Tina is also the girlfriend of a mafia hood, who devastated by her infidelity, vows to have Danny killed. Things become even more complicated when Danny inevitably falls for Tina. Broadway Danny Rose is an absolute delight, brilliantly written and performed (particularly by Allen), and featuring an absolute knockout opening scene (I wont spoil it). There's the usual great one liners, and some wonderful photography, but it's the story and characterization that shines here. Excellent.

8. Belle De Jour (Louis Bunuel 1967)

Super sexy, arty, stylish film from Bunuel, the like of which, only the French seem able to get away with. Catherine Deneuve plays Severine Serizy, the wife of a handsome and wealthy surgeon, Pierre (Jean Sorel). Seemingly happily married, Severine can't bring herself to be intimate with her husband, and harbors fantasies of sexual humiliation and degradation (one of which we witness in the films opening scene). Henri (Michel Piccoli) a friend of her husband's (who clearly lusts after her) tells Severine about a female friend who works as a prostitute for money. Severine becomes curious, and visits the brothel (a high class Parisian apartment) and it's madame, Anais (Genevieve Page). At first nervous, she nevertheless becomes a prostitute there, working only in the daytime, so as to keep it a secret from Pierre. Anais subsequently names her Belle De Jour (The Beauty of the Day). As a prostitute Severine is able to live out her sexual fantasies, but when a local gangster becomes infatuated with her, so begins a chain of events that threaten to expose her secret. I fell in love with this film (and Deneuve) instantly, it's sexy without ever being graphic, and the acting is wonderful. Bunuel's film serves as a perfect exploration of female and male desire, lust, deceit, and fantasy. A little old fashioned maybe, but undeniably classy and elegant, Belle De Jour is the erotic sex film for connoisseurs. Masterpiece.

7. Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow 1987)

6. Manhunter (Michael Mann 1986)

Before Silence of the Lambs, and (the crap) Red Dragon, there was Manhunter, and boy is it a good film. Loosely adapted from the Thomas Harris novel Red Dragon, Manhunter is a highly atmospheric, moody, almost dreamlike film. William Petersen (in his best role) plays Will Graham, an ex police detective recovering from mental (and physical) trauma after catching Dr. Hannibal Lecktor (played here definitively by Brian Cox). Graham is asked to take up one last case by ex colleague Jack Crawford (Dennis Farina), following a string of murders by a killer known as 'The Tooth Fairy' (Tom Noonan). Reluctantly Graham accepts, and so begins his own decent into hell, as he revisits Lecktor for help with the case. Manhunter is so underrated it's criminal, it's one of the best films of the 80's, but all I ever hear is Anthony Hopkins this, and Silence of the Lambs that. For me Cox as Lecktor was a very believable psychopath, whereas Hopkins was just way over the top, almost muggingly so. Tom Noonan (pictured) is also brilliant in Manhunter, he's so calm and detached, almost alien, as to be extremely disturbing. Mann wisely used celebrated Italian cinematographer Dante Spinotti for the visuals, and as a result the film looks amazing. His choice of soundtrack is also inspired, with great avant-garde tracks such as Shriekback's This Big Hush, helping to give the film it's unique feel. Masterpiece (oops there I go again).

5. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone 1966)

The critics may prefer Once Upon a Time in the West, but this is a lot more fun if you ask me. Clint Eastwood is Blondie (The Good), and Eli Wallach (who steals the movie) is Tuco (The Ugly). Together they make a living off Tuco's (a wanted bandit) reward money. When Blondie double crosses him however, Tuco tracks him down seeking revenge. An act that has them stumble upon information leading to the whereabouts of a hidden cache of gold. Also looking for the gold is Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef as 'The Bad') a ruthless assassin, who when paid, always sees the job through. So begins a thrilling adventure that sets the trio on an inevitable collision course, and the rest as they say 'is history'. Iconic film is thoroughly entertaining, with great performances, and a legendary score from Ennio Morriconi. Leone's sense of visual style is masterful, the films climax is breathtaking, and yes I do think it's a m-

4. Blade Runner: Director's Cut (Ridley Scott orig. 1982, re-cut 1993)

Adapted from Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Blade Runner is arguably the most visually stunning film of all time. Notoriously butchered by the studio, it wasn't until 1993 that we got to see Scott's film as it was intended to be shown. A visceral feast it may be, but Blade Runner has great substance as well as style. The story has Harrison Ford's future cop Rick Deckard on the trail of a rogue group of androids (called replicants or 'skin jobs') in the Los Angeles of 2019. The androids are led by Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer giving a career defining performance), and as advanced models they are superhuman. The only problem is they have a built in fail safe, a four year life span. Batty's obsession is in finding their creator to demand more life before they shut down. Deckard's task is to hunt and kill them, but things become complicated when he falls in love with a similarly advanced model, Rachael (Sean Young), and comes to question his own origins. Blade Runner's story has biblical undertones that elevate it above most other sci-fi. It's brilliance is that we are allowed to empathize with Roy Batty and his friends, we feel for them, they are the tragedy. We also care for Deckard, his love for Rachael in such a bleak future is the hope we cling to. Blade Runner almost questions who we all are as human beings, our origins, our nature, the insignificance of the individual in the grand scheme of life. Much of this is suggested in Batty's final, iconic speech, but dialogue throughout the film is littered with deeply profound double meanings. When you add in the stunning Vangelis soundtrack, incredible production design, and beautiful photography, you have, dare I say it? another masterpiece.

3. (Tie) Alien (Ridley Scott 1979)

Impossible to choose between this and Cameron's sequel, they're both excellent in their own right. Alien has the crew of the Nostromo respond to what they think is a distress beacon on a remote moon. Once there however, they discover a strange alien vessel filled with eggs. One of their crew is then rendered immobile by a spider like parasite, and much to Ripley's (Sigourney Weaver) dismay, they take him back on board the Nostromo. If you don't know what happens next, then please go and hurl yourself off the nearest tall building. Alien is a marvel of production design and cinematography. The cast are all great, especially Weaver and Ian Holm as Ash. It's all done so well as to be completely believable, and the sub theme's of psycho sexual horror are what puts Alien on the same playing field as Jaws. Masterpiece.

Aliens (James Cameron 1986)

Aliens is one of the best sequels ever made, fact. James Cameron, came up with a movie that had no right to look this good in 1986. Aliens still looks better than most sci-fi movies made today. Picking up fifty seven years after the first film, Ripley is awakened from hypersleep, and asked to return to LV426 as an advisor to a rag tag group of space marines. Once again, if you don't know what happens next, please wire electrodes to your genitals, and turn the voltage up to maximum. Not only is Aliens more exciting than the original, but the ensemble cast are an absolute knockout. Weaver is excellent once again, but deserving of special mention has to be Bill Paxton as private Hudson, the hilarious whining voice of the audience. Legendary, often imitated, eminently quotable stuff. 'let's roocckk!!!'

2. Used Cars (Robert Zemeckis 1980)

Hilarious madcap comedy, sadly forgotten due to its untimely release on the same weekend as Airplane!. Kurt Russell (at his very best here) plays Rudy Russo, a fast talking car salesman in the employ of Luke Fuchs (Jack Warden) on his run down car lot. Across the road is Luke's brother, Roy L. Fuchs (Jack Warden again) running a rival car lot, and paying off the mayor to ensure that a planned freeway is built on his brother's lot. When his lawyer informs him that the freeway is being built on his lot instead, Roy L. hatches a plan to inherit Luke's (who has weak heart) business. With Luke out of the way however, Rudy and his colleague Jeff (Gerrit Graham) ensure that Roy L. doesn't find out he's dead. So begins a side splitting elaborate deception, and war for business between the rival lots. This is Belly laugh inducing stuff, with Rudy and co doing everything from putting disco dancing strippers on top of the cars, to jamming the presidential speech with a pirate advert. The ensemble cast are all great, we even get Al Lewis (Grandpa from The Munsters) as a harsh judge, complete with miniature guillotine. If you like bad taste comedy, this is a forgotten gem, with a great script from Zemeckis and Bob Gale (Speilberg was an executive producer). Go and buy it now.

1. Cinema Paradiso aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore 1988)

Cinema Paradiso is far and away my favourite film, not even Amelie comes close to the magic on offer here, it's simply spellbinding. The film is the story of Salvatore (played as an adult by Jacques Perrin), a famous film director who receives news from his mother that one of his closest friends has died. Salvatore contemplates his inevitable return to the Sicilian village where he grew up, and in doing so is reminded of his friendship with Alfredo (Philippe Noiret), the local cinema projectionist. The film is Salvatore's memories, and begins with him as a young boy (wonderfully played by Salvatore Cascio) who becomes fascinated with film and befriends Alfredo. The two become like father and son, as Alfredo teaches Salvetore his trade, an act that eventually leads to his career in film making. We then see Salvatore as a young man (played by Marco Leonardi), who falls in love with Elena Mendola (Agnese Nano), vowing to stand outside her window every night to prove his love. Finally he wins her heart, but ultimately has to decide between her and his future. This film transports me away to that village every time I watch it. The acting is phenomenal, and the cinematography beautiful. My favourite scene is when the young Salvatore cheekily blackmails Alfredo into teaching him his craft. It's during an exam where Alfredo asks for Salvatore's help with the answers, the look on their faces and general body language is just magical, heart warming stuff. Cinema Paradiso is full of scenes like this, and at three hours in length, I'd be here all night listing them all. It also has a brilliant score from the best in the business, Ennio Morricone, who else. If you haven't already, go out and get this now, oh and make sure you get the director's cut, previous cuts only run at two hours, and aren't as good. Yup you guessed it, this film is a masterpiece, and in my opinion the best ever made. That is until I see something better, and I seriously doubt I ever will.

So if you've been reading this thread, thank you, and I hope you enjoyed my choices.

I am half agony, half hope.
Bravo, UF! I think your top 2 are fantastic films. Good job on your list, hon.

Johann von Goethe

Nice finish, i noticed Belle De Jour on my shelf the other day and wondered why it wasn't on my list and now have even more reason to watch it again. Much prefer it Bunuel's other work (that i've seen) criticising the bourgeoisies. Have you seen Un Chein Andalou, his early short made with Dali? It's fantastic. Kudos for Manhunter as well, easily the best Lector film and criminally overshadowed.

Great work yesterday I have enjoyed reading your list Thanks

The three movies below i have never even heard of, let alone see so I am going to try and track them down so I can watch them

Near Dark (Katheryn Bigelow 1987)
Manhunter (Michael Mann 1986)
Used Cars (Robert Zemeckis 1980)