Decade's Top 100 Films: 2000-2009

→ in
Tools    

Seeing Zed mentioning Eastern Promises there, suddenly prompted me to realise that I didn't remember seeing A History Of Violence on the list. Looking back, I see that's the case. As they're by the same director (and Eastern Promises was his next film) I'm assuming that you've left it off the list on purpose. The only other option I can come up with is that you haven't seen AHoV, in which case I'd suggest rectifying that ASAP.

Michael, I was disappointed to discover that Don's Plum & 2:37 are unavailable on Netflix. Looks like you can purchase them on Amazon, though. From your glowing reviews, they appear to be worth the effort. I may have to go for it.

Michael, I was disappointed to discover that Don's Plum & 2:37 are unavailable on Netflix. Looks like you can purchase them on Amazon, though. From your glowing reviews, they appear to be worth the effort. I may have to go for it.
Man, I honestly think you would love them both. I had to special order Don's Plum myself, and it was worth every penny. I stumbled across 2:37 in a video store, but from what I hear it's a hard title to find. You have my ecstatic personal recommendation on both of them.

See the trailer here:

Seeing Zed mentioning Eastern Promises there, suddenly prompted me to realise that I didn't remember seeing A History Of Violence on the list. Looking back, I see that's the case. As they're by the same director (and Eastern Promises was his next film) I'm assuming that you've left it off the list on purpose. The only other option I can come up with is that you haven't seen AHoV, in which case I'd suggest rectifying that ASAP.
A History of Violence is very close to being on this list, but I don't like it quite enough for an inclusion. But yeah, good film, I agree.

A History of Violence is very close to being on this list, but I don't like it quite enough for an inclusion. But yeah, good film, I agree.
I've got to admit I'm surprised that, seeing as you've seen both and have Eastern Promise on the list, that the superior A History Of Violence isn't on it. Obviously it's a personal choice (it's a personal list) but I'd like to know if you think that Eastern Promise is a better film or just the one you enjoyed more?

Not that anyone asked for my two cents but I definitely think Eastern Promises is better then A History of Violence, there are a lot of similarities obviously and even though the latter is still a good film it isn't as well rounded, the last quarter lets it down.

I've got to admit I'm surprised that, seeing as you've seen both and have Eastern Promise on the list, that the superior A History Of Violence isn't on it. Obviously it's a personal choice (it's a personal list) but I'd like to know if you think that Eastern Promise is a better film or just the one you enjoyed more?
I haven't watched either of the films in years, but from what I recall Eastern Promises retains a stronger sense of realism throughout. A History of Violence feels like a comic book adaptation in every way, whereas Eastern Promises examines things from a less outrageous standpoint. I found the characters and performances more engaging in Promises, and the subject matter appealed to me more as well.

Banned from Hollywood.
great list mcorleone..nice to see the wrestler, there will be blood,match point and especially requiem for a dream so high on your list..

Got to agree w/Michael on Eastern Promises being superior to A History Of Violence. Both are exceptional w/out a doubt, but for me personally, Eastern Promises held up much better on subsequent viewings than did A History of Violence. Perhaps knowing the outcome in A History of Violence was a factor? I suppose I would have to rewatch them both to explain my position fully, but personally, if forced to choose between the two, I would have to go w/Eastern Promises as a preference. The novelty factor is high, for one. Ive never seen the Russian mob in America depicted in film before. The pairing of Viggo Mortensen & Vincent Cassel is also noteworthy. Both put on stunning performances. Mortensen's performance is particularly brave, IMO.

Not that anyone asked for my two cents but I definitely think Eastern Promises is better then A History of Violence, there are a lot of similarities obviously and even though the latter is still a good film it isn't as well rounded, the last quarter lets it down.
Hmm, I would have to disagree big time with some of you guys. Eastern Promises is a VERY good. Almost great even, but it is not on the same level of A History Of Violence.

Zedland, you say the last quarter of Violence lets it down, and it's your opinion and I respect that, but I could easily say the same thing about Promises ending. In fact, the film doesn't really have much of an ending, it's more like the final part of the second act. No loose ends are tied up and you aren't really paid back with anything other than you watched a really good film without a resolution! I mean, I like anti-hollywood type endings as much as the next cinephile, but this just takes the piss a bit. Some people may call it 'brave', but I think it's weak and the easy way out. Like somebody did a lovely essay with a great introduction and awesome main body, but forgot about the conclusion.

A History Of Violence's ending not only ties up loose ends, but it gives you a sense of that dreaded aftermath feeling. The feeling that nothing is ever going to be the same again for the Stall family. It wasn't until the ending where I thought about the nature of violence and social as well as physical effects it has on our fragile lives. Didn't get any similar feeling with Eastern Promises and that imo gives Violence a more provocative ending.

Eastern Promises may have a slightly more realistic tone than Violence but that alone doesn't make it a better film. Both have deal with identical themes, obviously. Promises is an extention of Violence one could say, but the themes in the latter were better explored, I felt. Specially the theme of duality. Observing a bad character doing his best and damnest to be good only to then have to resort to his old, vicious ways in order to secure the safety of his family was more interesting than seeing an undercover agent pose as mob muscle.

Love so many films from your list... I'm very surprised that Revolutionary Road, which I have seen, got your #1 spot, but I'm not against it.

I am not so sure what it is everyone sees in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, though I love Charlie Kaufman... maybe I should give it yet another try....

I think I'm definitely going to use your list as somewhat of a reference for movies to watch from the decade. I've seen probably 1/5th of the list, and there are a lot of movies on there that I've been interested in previously.

I have been watching so many classic movies that I have fallen behind on catching up with movies of this decade. But a good mix is always a good option, too.

Johnathan Brownsill
I think that David Cronenburg should have more territory in this list, Spider and Naked Lunch to name a couple. Excellent effort though!

Johnathan Brownsill
I just thought of that as I came back to the forum, sorry guys. A History of Violence would qualify as a replacement.

Even since I posted this list there would be changes made, but still no History of Violence. Sorry!

I do need to see Spider though, and I've been told that I would probably love it.

I can see how the ending of Promises could come across a let down, but I appreciated it and I expected a different ending since Cronenberg's endings are never typical.

About to watch The Science of Sleep.