What Critically Bashed Films Do You Like?

Tools    

Novecento (1976)
Shrink (2009)
Sleuth (2007)
The Fountain (2006)
The Brown Bunny (2003)
Antichrist (2009)
Last Days (2005)
Kids (1995)
Funny Games U.S. (2007)
The Beach (2000)
The Basketball Diaries (1995)
Youth Without Youth (2007)
Total Eclipse (1995)

Those are the ones that come to mind.

See the trailer here:

Some of those films you've mentioned aren't exactly critically bashed. 1900 is ranked 267 on the top 1000 list at They Shoot Pictures Don't They. That list is compiled from a lot of critics' (along with others) all-time lists. Film Comment has Last Days at number 16 for 2006, a magazine that compiles various critics' top ten lists for a year end ranking.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I just saw the 2006 remake of All the King's Men. It was pretty much brutalized across the board by critics, but I really really liked it. Anyone else enjoy it?

Semper Fooey
Howard the Duck
Showgirls
Speed Racer
Waterworld
Are you putting us on?

I liked The Time Machine remake

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Agreed SoulInside I put of watching it for years and then watched it and thought it was a really good movie.

I wouldn't know where to start. I'm sure that goes for everyone else too. The 'Tomatometer', being the hunk of magically realist ballbags it most definitely is, does not give a particularly enlightening critical consensus. As like a review logbook RT is very helpful, likewise is Metacritic, but I wouldn't trust it to reflect anything.

I think you can find a postive opinion on every move but here are some movies that weren't claimed to be that good:

Happy Gilmore
I Am Legend
Eight Below

Those come to mind.

Novecento (1976)
Shrink (2009)
Sleuth (2007)
The Fountain (2006)
The Brown Bunny (2003)
Antichrist (2009)
Last Days (2005)
Kids (1995)
Funny Games U.S. (2007)
The Beach (2000)
The Basketball Diaries (1995)
Youth Without Youth (2007)
Total Eclipse (1995)

Those are the ones that come to mind.

I can honestly say that Ive never met a single person who likes Total Eclipse. I was actually rather fanatical about it at one point. Ditto The Basketball Diaries. Both are permanent favourites.

Im also a big fan of Last Days, Kids, & the Beach. I enjoyed the Brown Bunny, but must admit Im still a bit up in the air about the Fountain (need to go back for a second viewing) & Funny Games (2007). I remember loving about the first half of Funny Games, but then it did a couple of things that I wasnt fond of. I should see that one again as well though. I havent seen the others you mentioned.

I probably shouldnt answer the question you pose in the thread title, but I will anyway. Just glancing at my collection, some failures are:

Cobra (1986) Tomatometer - 7%
Oscar (1991) Tomatometer - 14%
I Am Sam (2002) Tomatometer - 34%
The Burbs (1989) Tomatometer - 42%
Murder By Numbers (2002) Tomatometer - 30%
The Cell (2002) Tomatometer - 45%

I just saw the 2006 remake of All the King's Men. It was pretty much brutalized across the board by critics, but I really really liked it. Anyone else enjoy it?
I loved Penn, but I felt the film had some problems. I did enjoy some aspects of it. Mostly, seeing Penn make yet another complete transformation was a treat. I really like that Mark Ruffalo as well. All of the acting was excellent, & I always love those Southern settings. I know I had a lot of trouble understanding the accents towards the beginning of the film. Maybe it was just me, but I couldnt catch a lot of what was being said. Because of that, I sort of had a difficult time following what was going on. I feel like there may have been some holes in the writing? Or perhaps it really was just that I didnt follow the dialect. It wasnt a huge success for me though. Especially w/the amount of acting talent involved, I think it should have been better.

I loved Penn, but I felt the film had some problems. I did enjoy some aspects of it. Mostly, seeing Penn make yet another complete transformation was a treat. I really like that Mark Ruffalo as well. All of the acting was excellent, & I always love those Southern settings. I know I had a lot of trouble understanding the accents towards the beginning of the film. Maybe it was just me, but I couldnt catch a lot of what was being said. Because of that, I sort of had a difficult time following what was going on. I feel like there may have been some holes in the writing? Or perhaps it really was just that I didnt follow the dialect. It wasnt a huge success for me though. Especially w/the amount of acting talent involved, I think it should have been better.
Fair enough. I love Michael Pitt and Gosling in Murder by Numbers, but I hate the film itself.

So glad you like Total Eclipse and The Basketball Diaries (which was in my top 50 at one point). We appear to have VERY similar taste.

This one I totally agree. Great movie and I am looking forward to the sequel coming in a few days (or weeks).

I think you can find a postive opinion on every move but here are some movies that weren't claimed to be that good:

Happy Gilmore
I Am Legend
Eight Below

Those come to mind.
I Am Legend I will stand with the majority. Really bad movie.