Best Gay Character in Film

Tools    

So many good movies, so little time.
Last year was a ground breaking year for gay characters in main stream movies, Brokeback Mountain, Capote, The Family Stone all had major gay characters. Another ground breaking movie, Transamerica, had Felicity Huffman playing a transsexual.

but I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again last night and my favorite gay character of all time is Gay Perry (Val Kilmer). I really liked this movie. I wonder why it didn't do better at the box office?

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I have issue with the whole felicity huffman thing. Shes. A. Woman. Am I the only one not blind here???? Oh wait. We're talking "characters." My bad!

I'd Rather Be Dancing
Nathan Lane-Albert Goldman in The Birdcage very funny

Gay Perry.

Chaotic Neutral
Today I'm gonna say Maxwell Demon from Velvet Goldmine just cause of all the great visuals involving him. But I'm a big fan of gay cinema so I may think of a better one later.

1. Sonny Wortzik (Al Pacino), Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
2. Tory Skinner (Patrice Donnelly), Personal Best (1982)
3. Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger), Brokeback Mountain (2005)
4. Mike Waters (River Phoenix), My Own Private Idaho (1991)
5. Omar (Gordon Warnecke), My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)
6. Tammy Metzler (Jessica Campbell), Election (1999)
7. Harry Mitchell (Jack Thompson), The Sum of Us (1994)
8. Andrew Beckett (Tom Hanks), Philadelphia (1993)
9. James Whale (Ian McKellen), Gods & Monsters (1998)
10. Reinaldo Arenas (Javier Bardem), Before Night Falls (2000)
11. Luis Molina (William Hurt), Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)
12. Corky St. Clair (Christopher Guest), Waiting for Guffman (1997)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Andrew Beckett (Tom Hanks) in Philadelphia
Aileen Wuornos (Charlize Theron) in Monster

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
Wil (Michelle Krusiec)....Saving Face (2004)
George(Rupert Everett)....My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
'Toddy' Carroll (Robert Preston)....and 'Squash' (Alex Karras)....Victor/Victoria (1982)
Christy Cummings (Jane Lynch)....Best in Show (2000)
Scott (John Michael Higgins) and Stefan Michael McKean....Best in Show (2000)
Armand(Robin Williams) and Albert (Nathan Lane)....The Birdcage (1996)

Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me because I seriously don't keep up with any of the celebrities sexual preferences…. But I'm curious if any of the gay characters, named thus far, have actually been played by a gay actor?

That's a very interesting question, Caitlyn. We now look back in horror at how blacks were played by whites in blackface in film's early days. It is also considered very inppropriate, in some circles, to how non-Native American play Native Americans on screen.

I wonder if we will reach a point where it is considered inappropriate to have non-gays play gay characters?

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me because I seriously don't keep up with any of the celebrities sexual preferences…. But I'm curious if any of the gay characters, named thus far, have actually been played by a gay actor?
I don't know what difference it makes, but on my list Ian McKellen and Patrice Donnelly are openly gay. On other people's lists, Rupert Everet and Nathan Lane.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I don't know what difference it makes, but on my list Ian McKellen and Patrice Donnelly are openly gay. On other people's lists, Rupert Everet and Nathan Lane.
It could make a difference. It's like one of the points that Spike Lee tried to get across in Bamboozled. It may be all right for a minority group to make fun of itself, but even that may not be right.

In the news recently "Dave Chappelle said he left his show because he wanted to make sure he was dancing and not shuffling. I understood his desire to make comedy that was socially responsible."
Dave Cahappelle

Some gay people might not think it's funny to have Robin Williams acting gay for laughs.

Originally Posted by uconjack
It could make a difference. It's like one of the points that Spike Lee tried to get across in Bamboozled. It may be all right for a minority group to make fun of itself, but even that may not be right.

In the news recently "Dave Chappelle said he left his show because he wanted to make sure he was dancing and not shuffling. I understood his desire to make comedy that was socially responsible."
Dave Cahappelle

Some gay people might not think it's funny to have Robin Williams acting gay for laughs.
I know what you mean, but with the exception of Chris Guest in Guffman, none of mine are comedies.

Dwayne Johnson as "Elliot" in "BE COOL"

Oh yeah, and those funny gay guys in "The Producers". Seriously, that part cracked me up. Those silly gays....

I'd Rather Be Dancing
Rupert Everett as George Downey in My Best Friend's Wedding

Willem Dafoe in Boondock Saints