Best Director Commentary 1930-70s

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Movies made between the 30-70s... Specifically these dates because by the time they were made, not many directors, actors, writers, etc., were alive...

Don't really get what you're doing here Matt.

Great movies where the commentary is also great. Extra bonus if a main player is still alive, but.... many think the commentary by Roger Ebert (and Peter B) on "Citizen Kane" is great, so that would be a great choice, but one from Robert Wise would be better, since he was an editor.

Good thread. I've been seeking out some good commentary tracks.

Great movies where the commentary is also great. Extra bonus if a main player is still alive, but.... many think the commentary by Roger Ebert (and Peter B) on "Citizen Kane" is great, so that would be a great choice, but one from Robert Wise would be better, since he was an editor.
I haven't listened to the Roger Ebert commentary on Citizen Kane but I've listened to Peter Bogdanovich's commentary on Citizen Kane...and it was awesome! I've heard several Bogdanovich's movie commentaries and he's always so insightful, easy to listen too and doesn't read from a script. At least he sure sounds natural like he's speaking directly to you in private about his love of the movie.

The Ebert commentary for Kane is definitely a classic commentary - very insightful.

Matt, are you referring to documentaries about great movies whose commentary includes input from writers, directors, actors, editors, etc.?
No, just feature films that have commentary.

Been awhile since I'v listened to it but I remember Scott's commentary on Alien(one of the first I heard on DVD) being enjoyable and full of little tones on the production.

If anything though I think you could argue that the 00's was really the "era of commentarys" when DVD sales were at their peak.