Why is "studio interference" have such a negative connotation?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Why didn't Orson Welles just become his own producer? Did he not have enough money, even after all his previous success?

Or maybe he was being too picky about these things? Hitchcock had his movies altered by studios, but he still owned his movies, and thought they were his, or at least he didn't seem to complain near as much.

Why didn't Orson Welles just become his own producer? Did he not have enough money, even after all his previous success?

Or maybe he was being too picky about these things? Hitchcock had his movies altered by studios, but he still owned his movies, and thought they were his, or at least he didn't seem to complain near as much.
Not enough money.

"I made essentially a mistake staying in movies, ... (but it's) the mistake I can't regret because it's like saying "I shouldn't have stayed married to that woman, but I did because I love her." I would have been more successful if I'd left movies immediately. Stayed in the theater, gone into politics, written – anything. I've wasted the greater part of my life looking for money, and trying to get along... trying to make my work from this terribly expensive paint box which is ... a movie. And I've spent too much energy on things that have nothing to do with a movie. It's about two percent movie making and 98 percent hustling. It's no way to spend a life." Orson Welles

"I made essentially a mistake staying in movies, ... (but it's) the mistake I can't regret because it's like saying "I shouldn't have stayed married to that woman, but I did because I love her." I would have been more successful if I'd left movies immediately. Stayed in the theater, gone into politics, written – anything. I've wasted the greater part of my life looking for money, and trying to get along... trying to make my work from this terribly expensive paint box which is ... a movie. And I've spent too much energy on things that have nothing to do with a movie. It's about two percent movie making and 98 percent hustling. It's no way to spend a life." Orson Welles

Coming from Welles that sounds so.....discouraging.