What are some of your favourite Film Noir?

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Sean Young in Blade Runner

Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I guess neither of those films fall under the strict guidelines. So I've seen zero noir films.

But when Zhora use sex to her advantage, I cannot remember. All I remember is Decard finding her, and she knocks him down and runs away, like a desperate fugitive trying to survive more than someone using sex as a manipulation weapon.
I've just watched the scene again. Love Harrison Ford's Humphrey Bogart impression .

Isn't Joanna Cassidy great? There's a good moment with the snake – almost as if there's an extra affinity between it and Zhora due to their both being replicants. I like how Cassidy plays Zhora easily picking apart Deckard's act and becoming more and more uneasy but I also think there's an innate menace to her body language that telegraphs Zhora's combative skills.

Zhora exits the shower room bare-breasted, deliberately to unbalance Deckard, and asks him to dry her. This allows her to surprise and attack him with what looks like superhuman force. At this point what was under the surface, namely that Zhora is deadly, comes to the fore and she would no doubt have strangled Deckard to death had she not been interrupted. Zhora's certainly frightened for her existence but it's that sense of physical threat that Joanna Cassidy brings that I think is so interesting and makes Zhora far more than a victim.

A system of cells interlinked
Blade Runner is definitely a noir film. It is not a noir film from the classic noir cycle. Blade Runner pretty much created a new genre of noir that I have heard people call Tech-Noir or sometimes Future-Noir, which combined science fiction with the noir pictures of yesteryear. In fact, there is a book about the making of Blade Runner called Future Noir : The Making of Blade Runner, if you want to read more about the film. It;s a fun read, with lots of interesting tidbits about the best science fiction film ever made.

Blade Runner is definitely a noir film. It is not a noir film from the classic noir cycle. Blade Runner pretty much created a new genre of noir that I have heard people call Tech-Noir or sometimes Future-Noir, which combined science fiction with the noir pictures of yesteryear. In fact, there is a book about the making of Blade Runner called Future Noir : The Making of Blade Runner, if you want to read more about the film. It;s a fun read, with lots of interesting tidbits about the best science fiction film ever made.
I always get confused about the ones I've read. This is probably one of them in a very nicely put together new cover . There was a book about the film where part of it discussed the representation of the replicants' sexuality, especially with regards to Roy and his dialogue and behaviour. I seem to remember Alien came into it somewhere and I imagine Ian Holm's Ash would have been a comparison there.

A system of cells interlinked
I always get confused about the ones I've read. This is probably one of them in a very nicely put together new cover . There was a book about the film where part of it discussed the representation of the replicants' sexuality, especially with regards to Roy and his dialogue and behaviour. I seem to remember Alien came into it somewhere and I imagine Ian Holm's Ash would have been a comparison there.
That cover shot is new! Here is the cover from the copy I have at home...

That's right – I read the book in the version that just has the image of Deckard hanging from the rooftop across the middle of the cover.

Also answers to Jabba
It's a very large and sometimes subjective discussion about what constitutes a noir film. Also, are we counting neo-noir? If so, Blood Simple and Sin City would be two of my favorites (at least off the top of my head).

As far as films from the 40s and 50s go:
Dial M for Murder
Touch of Evil
Double Indemnity
White Heat
Witness for the Prosecution

The Killing, The Asphalt Jungle and The Roaring Twenties were also pretty cool. There is also a pretty nice attempt from Greek cinema that I assume none have watched around here called The Ogre of Athens.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This is all very interesting as to what counts as noir, and what does not. I thought Blade Runner was noir more in it's style rather than it's substance, since it seems to tell a type of story that I have never seen in other noir movies.

How come Night of the Hunter counts a noir, but a movie like Misery, Halloween, or Hard Candy do not? I mean all three movies are about a psycho holding someone hostage till they get what they want, so how come other kidnapping thrillers do not fall into the noir category but Night of the Hunter does?

This is all very interesting as to what counts as noir, and what does not. I thought Blade Runner was noir more in it's style rather than it's substance, since it seems to tell a type of story that I have never seen in other noir movies.

How come Night of the Hunter counts a noir, but a movie like Misery, Halloween, or Hard Candy do not? I mean all three movies are about a psycho holding someone hostage till they get what they want, so how come other kidnapping thrillers do not fall into the noir category but Night of the Hunter does?
Iron Pony, remember I asked if you liked math?

The reason I asked is, it seems you want a black or white answer to what is noir? But noir comes in many shades, even technicolor, it can't be defined by any one set of parameters....Noir is a style, and all films are art and so are open to interpretation as any work of art is. So while y=x x=y is true in algebra, it's not true in films, especially those that we call noir.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Iron Pony, remember I asked if you liked math?

The reason I asked is, it seems you want a black or white answer to what is noir? But noir comes in many shades, even technicolor, it can't be defined by any one set of parameters....Noir is a style, and all films are art and so are open to interpretation as any work of art is. So while y=x x=y is true in algebra, it's not true in films, especially those that we call noir.
That's true, you're right. Since we are on the subject, how come in post 1960s noirs, they got rid of the German Expressionist cinematography? That was the best part of the noirs or at least a really big part of it for me, and they just got rid of it.

...how come in post 1960s noirs, they got rid of the German Expressionist cinematography? That was the best part of the noirs or at least a really big part of it for me, and they just got rid of it.
Sorry for the late reply...I can only guess as to why directors of post 1960s noir abandoned the noir style of German Expressionist cinematography. My guess is that they felt that noir cinematography style looked old fashioned and they didn't want their modern 1960s films to feel like an old 1940s movie. In the 1960s the style of lighting movies was often: bright, evenly lit scenes. So basically styles in lighting movies changed.

Chinatown

My favourite film noir:
(going by IMDB's classification)

Strangers on a Train (1951)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Big Sleep (1946)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Laura (1944)
Night and the City (1950)
Born to Kill (1947)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
They Live by Night (1948)