Rate/Critique My Top 10 Best Films Of All Time

Tools    

Hmmmm.... having given it some objective thought, this would be my personal opinion list of the best films ever made. Feel free to critique and rate them.

1. 12 Angry Men
2. Citzen Kane
3. Chinatown
4. The Godfather
5. Raiders of The Lost Ark
6. Psycho
7. Network
8. Do The Right Thing
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Dr. Strangelove

1. 12 Angry Men
Near perfect film. Very intense, amazing script, brilliant performances and direction.
2. Citzen Kane
Great film. Direction is spot on. Some very beautiful shot.
3. Chinatown
Wasn't mad about it. Hard to follow and uninteresting. Liked the ending though.
4. The Godfather
I've watched it twice now, I'm still not able to follow it.
Needs a re-watch.
6. Psycho
Great. Very intense and scary. Music and direction are great.
7. Network
Great. Howard Beale's performance is amazing.
10. Dr. Strangelove
Amazing. The comedy, acting, direction, cinematography and story are some of the best.

Haven't seen the other two.

Near perfect film. Very intense, amazing script, brilliant performances and direction.
Great film. Direction is spot on. Some very beautiful shot.
Wasn't mad about it. Hard to follow and uninteresting. Liked the ending though.
I've watched it twice now, I'm still not able to follow it.
Needs a re-watch.
Great. Very intense and scary. Music and direction are great.
Great. Howard Beale's performance is amazing.
Amazing. The comedy, acting, direction, cinematography and story are some of the best.

Haven't seen the other two.
Yeah, Chinatown is a bit of a slow burn, and I realize many people call it uninteresting. But to me, it's the best made noir thriller ever, with a near flawless performance from Nicholson.

Raiders is a film I still watch yearly. To this day, I feel it's the best adventure film ever. It never loses its appeal.

I would HIGHLY recommend watching Do The Right Thing, and Glengarry when you get some time.

1. 12 Angry Men - Agreed
2. Citzen Kane - Agreed
3. Chinatown - Good movie, but don't agree
4. The Godfather - Agreed
5. Raiders of The Lost Ark - Good movie, but don't agree
6. Psycho - Agreed
7. Network - Good movie, but don't agree
8. Do The Right Thing - Good god no
9. Glengarry Glen Ross - Haven't seen it
10. Dr. Strangelove - Great movie, but just narrowly misses all time great status imo

1. 12 Angry Men - Agreed
2. Citzen Kane - Agreed
3. Chinatown - Good movie, but don't agree
4. The Godfather - Agreed
5. Raiders of The Lost Ark - Good movie, but don't agree
6. Psycho - Agreed
7. Network - Good movie, but don't agree
8. Do The Right Thing - Good god no
9. Glengarry Glen Ross - Haven't seen it
10. Dr. Strangelove - Great movie, but just narrowly misses all time great status imo
What movies would you include on your top ten list?

What movies would you include on your top ten list?
When thinking about greatest movies ever, I try to not focus so much on personal enjoyment but rather their influence, legacy, and impact that they've had on the art form. Also, of course, the movie has to be just about perfect!

I already posted this list somewhere on the forum a little while ago, but I'll re-post it again:

10: The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
8. Stagecoach (1939)
7. 12 Angry Men (1957)
6. Seven Samurai (1954)
5. Intolerance (1916)
4. Bicycle Thieves (1948)
3. Casablanca (1942)
2. The Godfather (1972)
1. Citizen Kane (1941)

Surprised that no one thus far seems to have seen Glengarry.

Some of the best combined dialogue in any film, and masterclass performances from Pacino, Jack Lemon, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, and Kevin Spacey.

Hmmmm.... having given it some objective thought, this would be my personal opinion list of the best films ever made. Feel free to critique and rate them.
1. 12 Angry Men
+
2. Citzen Kane

3. Chinatown

4. The Godfather
+
+
6. Psycho
+
7. Network

8. Do The Right Thing
+
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
+
10. Dr. Strangelove

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My MOFO or IMDB scores

1. 12 Angry Men - 10/10
2. Citzen Kane - 9/10
3. Chinatown - 8.5/10
4. The Godfather - 10/10
5. Raiders of The Lost Ark - n/a
6. Psycho - 5/10
7. Network - 10/10
8. Do The Right Thing - 1/10
9. Glengarry Glen Ross - 7.5/10
10. Dr. Strangelove - 6.5/10

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I didn't care for Network especially. Glengarry was ok to me. Strangelove is not good for me.

The rest are very good though with my favorite being Psycho.

What the hell I'll do this too...

12 Angry Men
Director Sidney Lumet delivers his social message with a sledge hammer. My review
Citizen Kane
The only perfect movie I've ever seen!
Chinatown...I've not seen this, yet.
The Godfather
The first half is pretty good, the second half feels condensed, this really needed to be a mini series. My review
Raiders of The Lost Ark...seen it when it first came out, fun entertainment, I'd need to see it again to rate.
Psycho
One of Hitch's best. My review
Network
It starts out well but then Sidney Lumet has to do his trademark over the top bit. I think people love this for the social message. My review
Do The Right Thing...Not seen it
Glengarry Glen Ross...Not ever heard of it.
Dr. Strangelove...
Gets better with each viewing. My review

You might check Glengarry, Glennross out. It is another Lumet film/play. I really liked it. cast includes: Pacino, Jack Lemon, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, and Kevin Spacey.

12 Angry Men
Director Sidney Lumet delivers his social message with a sledge hammer. My review
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The first half is pretty good, the second half feels condensed, this really needed to be a mini series. My review
Raiders of The Lost Ark...seen it when it first came out, fun entertainment, I'd need to see it again to rate.
Psycho
Network
It starts out well but then Sidney Lumet has to do his trademark over the top bit. I think people love this for the social message. My review
Dr. Strangelove...

12 Angry Men
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
Psycho
Network
Dr. Strangelove...
Hi Rules, we have something in common - I also never saw Chinatown!

Do The Right Thing is a very entertaining movie, but it's mis-titled (because at the climax Spike Lee does the wrong thing!)

Glengarry Glen Ross - is interesting. It's based on a play (which is kind of evident in the film as well). I saw the movie in the theater when it came out and I didn't care for it. Then I saw it again a couple years ago and it was like a drug - I couldn't stop watching it. Most likely the reason I didn't like it when I was younger is it's a movie that relies entirely on dialogue, plot and interaction - there are only a few different sets in the whole movie. The cast is unbelievable and the delivery is out of sight. A character on the Simpsons ("Gil") was actually based on Jack Lemon's character in this movie!

1. 12 Angry Men
2. Citzen Kane
3. Chinatown
4. The Godfather
6. Psycho
7. Network
8. Do The Right Thing
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Dr. Strangelove
Nice.
Your #1 is in my top 10.
4 of your top 10 are in my top 100, and they are all probably in my top 150 - 200, with the exception of 'Network' which I haven't seen and 'Glengarry Glen Ross' which I thought was a tad overrated when I saw it along time ago.