63.38%
45 votes
Leonardo DiCaprio
36.62%
26 votes
Christian Bale
71 votes. You may not vote on this poll

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My favorite from DiCaprio is Inception, but great in other films like The Departed, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Django Unchained

My favorite characters from both actors from what I've seen so far:

Leonardo DiCaprio - Calvin Candie in Django Unchained

Christian Bale - Patrick Bateman in American Psycho

They both seem to have portrayed two memorable new characters in their most recent films, The Wolf of Wallstreet (Leo) and American Hustle (Bale). I'll be very interested to see if one of those perfomances is better than my current favorite of them.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

They both seem to have portrayed two memorable new characters in their most recent films, The Wolf of Wallstreet (Leo) and American Hustle (Bale). I'll be very interested to see if one of those perfomances is better than my current favorite of them.
Good post. I will be going to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty on Friday, can't help it, not a big fan of Stiller, but I have always loved the short-story. However, on Saturday, I will be going to see The Wolf of Wallstreet, I want to see American Hustle on Sunday, but it depends on if I can get somebody to go with me.

I can't even vote on this. I mean, WTF? These two actors are poles apart. Both are great. Both are different. I mean, do you like Picasso and Gauguin? The first thing I saw Bale in was Empire of the Sun. He was genius, and just a boy. The first thing I saw Leo in was What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and he was genius. So, there's no contest here, just two great actors.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I can't even vote on this. I mean, WTF? These two actors are poles apart. Both are great. Both are different. I mean, do you like Picasso and Gauguin? The first thing I saw Bale in was Empire of the Sun. He was genius, and just a boy. The first thing I saw Leo in was What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and he was genius. So, there's no contest here, just two great actors.
Honestly, while I agree comparing actors is somewhat silly, your case doesn't really seem logical. You point out Gilbert Grape and Empire of the Sun, two different movies when that each of them respectively did in their youth, and say they are both brilliant. In-other words, two actors that got their start very young, that you thought had brilliant beginnings. All you did was make them seem more alike, not different. They went onto being A-list celebrities in some of the biggest movies of all-time. Apples to oranges, maybe, but this thread asks which you prefer, maybe you love all fruit, but the taste varies.

I prefer Bale. He is probably my favourite actor in the industry at the moment. The guy is super immersive in whatever he does, treats every role with utmost professionalism and is somebody all young aspiring actors should look up to. He will go down as one of the greatest ever when it's all said and done.

I have 2 say Leonardo mostly because i haven't seen many Bale movies besides Batman. Leonardo is in a lot of stuff and is always really good. He's been good since he was young when he was in Titanic. So i think if you are comparing them head to head i would say Leonardo is better

Recently I have become a massive fan of Christian Bale after seeing American Psycho, The Dark Knight Rises, The Fighter and American Hustle. I am a big fan of Leonardo DiCaprio too, but Bale is fantastic in how he phsyically transforms from role to role like not many others.

Same here.

Revisiting this post a year later, I still stand by my opinion last year that Dicaprio is a better actor than Bale. However, Bale's performance in American Hustle was more gripping than Dicaprio's in Wolf of Wall Street. They will both be getting Oscar nominations this year, and something tells me the Academy will give the Oscar to Leo this time around.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The truth is in here
Both are talented actors (nobody has mentioned Cubic yet, that's a really good role for Bale), but I think Leo is more fun to watch. He always makes his characters glow off the screen. Rick Dalton even topped Jordan Belfort in how entertaining he was to watch. Bale is more deadpan, which works perfectly for the kind of roles he's given, but I'd love to see him let loose the way he did with Patrick Bateman more often.

Bale is the better actor but Leo is the more discerning actor.

Just look at the last 10 roles each man has taken..

Leo
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • The Revenant
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Django Unchained
  • J Edgar
  • Inception
  • Shutter Island
  • Revolutionary Road
  • The Departed
Bale
  • Vice
  • Mowgli
  • Hostiles
  • The Promise
  • The Big Short
  • Knight of Cups
  • Exodus
  • American Hustle
  • Out of the Furnace
  • The Dark Knight Rises
Bale and Leo are basically Michael Caine and Albert Finney of this generation. Leo would never make Jaws:The Revenge....Bale if the moneys right

Bale
  1. Empire of the Sun
  2. American Psycho
  3. Shaft
  4. Equilibrium
  5. Batman Begins
  6. Harsh Times
  7. The Prestige
  8. The Dark Knight
  9. The Fighter
  10. American Hustle
  11. The Big Short

DiCaprio
  1. This Boy’s Life
  2. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
  3. The Basketball Diaries
  4. Romeo + Juliet
  5. Titanic
  6. The Man in the Iron Mask
  7. Gangs of New York
  8. Catch Me If You Can
  9. The Aviator
  10. The Departed
  11. Blood Diamond
  12. Shutter Island
  13. Inception
  14. Django Unchained
  15. The Great Gatsby
  16. The Wolf of Wall Street
  17. The Revenant
  18. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Got DiCaprio 18 to 11..

DiCaprio, and it's really not that close for me.

Both are talented actors (nobody has mentioned Cubic yet, that's a really good role for Bale), but I think Leo is more fun to watch. He always makes his characters glow off the screen. Rick Dalton even topped Jordan Belfort in how entertaining he was to watch. Bale is more deadpan, which works perfectly for the kind of roles he's given, but I'd love to see him let loose the way he did with Patrick Bateman more often.
I felt rick dalton scenes were boring as hell....if the same scene was in a seth rogen movie then people wouldnt be saying this..cliff booth is the best character in the movie

I like both but Dicaprio for me is the better actor