Movie Tab II

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I got 36% in my A Level English Lit...

Aaaanyway!

The French Connection (1971, William Friedkin)

5/5

I'll make no bones about The French Connection being one of my favourite films and, as thus, it was one of the first that I planned to buy on Blu Ray. I was even more excited when I learned that Fox had hired Friedkin to remaster the film.

Oh boy.

To say I was disappointed was a bit of an understatement. So hacked off was I at what Friedkin had done to his masterpiece that I stuck the disc on eBay after a few days and took it as a conclusion that the old guy had lost the plot. I didn't even look at the format-exclusive extras...

I bought it again a couple of days ago and the film arrived this morning.

To be honest, this was a price led (it's the 3 disc Blu Ray set including French Connection II) rather than a heartfelt attempt at giving the remaster a second chance but I'm giving it as open a mind as I can.

The remaster still stinks. To high heaven.

As to why it stinks we need to know what old Billy did with his film - Basically, he's never been happy with the way the colours look. He thinks that the original prints are too saturated and take away from the gritty, documentary feel that he wanted The French Connection to have.

Firstly he stripped the entire colour palette (leaving a B&W master) and replaced it with another. A lesser man might just have desaturated the existing colours but not our Bill, oh no.

The result is something rotten. The entire film looks obviously recoloured (like those awful attempts at 'modernising' old Laurel & Hardy films and the like) and, just as importantly, he's crushed the blacks to the extent that I thought someone had been fiddling with the contrast and brightness controls on my TV. When Roy Scheider walks along the street in black coat and trousers it looks like a disembodied head bobbing along on top of a lump of coal.

I wish I had a Blu Ray drive on my PC so I could show some proper back-to-back comparisons between this and the DVD but the above is one I found on the net. DVD print on left and Blu Ray on the right.

You can also see that Popeye now has a purple face - not a sly reflection by Friedkin on the character's drinking, sadly, because everyone looks like this in indoor shots. Hideous.

Thankfully the director seems to have learned his lesson as the new Blu Ray edition of The Exorcist is fantastic but I do wish that he and Fox would go back and apply what they learned from remastering the second film and release The French Connection again. It deserves it.

Why 5/5 for this unholy mess?

I cheated and watched the DVD release straight afterwards. Now that's the way to do it.

EDIT - I've just watched the 'Colo(u)r Timing The French Connection' featurette and it's actually a nicely informative introduction into what colour timing actually means. Sadly, when Friedkin says "This looks much better" I'm shaking my head so violently that I resemble an extra from Scanners.

He wanted the film to look like gritty, uber-vérité Moby Dick, apparently. Lord save us.

No, I do not believe that 55% is passing in geometry. That doesn't mean though that if a student scored 55 on every single test that I wouldn't pass him/her. It all depends on the student and how well I understand him/her and what else he/she has to offer to the class.

The grading system is based on something which has been determined for decades or probably more likely centuries. That has to do with what someone NEEDS to understand to be considered qualified in a certain subject. If you cannot answer a certain quota of questions after a certain amount of time then you may be considered a failure, whether right or wrong.

Nobody has to be qualified to understand movies or to grade how well a movie seems to understand its audience. It's just something which has been developed down through the years, and since I am a teacher, I find the two systems to have nothing to do with each other. In a movie, there are no correct answers or incorrect answers, so how can you grade it? I admit that means that I shouldn't grade movies, but since I've graded almost 30,000 different ones, it's hard not to do it. My point is that the grading system is not based on any test. How could it be? I've said this before and I believe that Yoda agrees: when you rate a movie you are telling more about yourself than you are about the movie. However, if all you do is rate a movie, then I'm not really sure what you think because when you don't explain it, it's a mystery. That's why I would never grade anyone based on their ratings alone. I need to understand the meaning behind the rating, and when I post even the slightest bit of comments, I hope that I'm making myself clearer about what I believe and feel about a movie.
Okay, I certainly agree that rating how you feel about movies and testing what you know don't have much to do with each other.

I also agree that the ratings tell you more about the person doing the grading than about the movie itself, but I just don't see why everyone should balance their ratings in the same way. Someone like Adi might consider even a 70% "worthless," but even if they did agree on where they place the "average" numerically, it still wouldn't solve the more fundamental difference between people who think average=bad vs. people who think average=good.

It seems like I'm disagreeing with you more than how I actually feel, so maybe I've stepped in my mouth somewhere. I usually feel like I'm not adequately responding to a movie even if I write a few paragraphs, so getting a number grade to say how I feel about it is almost impossible, but is still better than saying nothing IMO.

EDIT:

Speaking of school, I managed to keep up with homework and watch a bunch of movies in the last week or so due to getting 15 inches of snow on Wednesday. I plan to do write-ups for all 25 or so movies I've watched since my last post, but here are the first five in the mean-time.

Cradle Will Rock (Robbins, 1999)
Politically ambiguous, historical show-within-a-show about labor organizers, communist-hunting politicians and theater people in 1930s New York. As a director it feels like Tim Robbins was trying to play Robert Altman in this movie and he was pretty successful at pulling together a cohesive story from a huge ensemble of characters. The level of attention and care given to each of the characters and actors varies a lot and some of them come off as a bit glib or off-hand, but there are a lot of strong roles as well. Bill Murray's character seems to me the most complicated and sympathetic one in the movie.

Roxie Hart (Wellman, 1942)
One of the many 30s/early 40s films where a cynical reporter (not always a literal reporter, but in this case a newspaperman) goes out to find us a story, which ends up becoming his story as well. This one takes the "show-within-a-show" motif a couple step further into itself in that the story he finds is framed as a flashback involving a show-trial and an archetypal saucy female wannabe-performer, but although it's watchable, it's a bit too predictable. Of ones that I've seen recently, I'd first recommend seeing It Happened One Night because it's more romantic, funny and cinematic than this movie. It's nice to see Ginger Rogers still showing some moxie into her thirties but her presence was much more vivacious and sexy 10 years earlier in The Gold-Diggers of 1933.

+

Being There (Ashby, 1979)

I'm not sure what to make of this movie, which means I should probably watch it again. Sometimes not being sure can be a good thing but at least this time for me, the only really interesting thing about it is Peter Sellers's performance as a man who seems to think that he's shielded from the world by a TV screen. It is impressively lit and composed.

Mr. Nice Guy (Sammo Hung, 1995)

I feel like I should probably drop City Hunter's rating by a half a grade or so after re-watching this. Neither are among Jackie Chan's best and both are very watchable, but this one is funnier. The plot makes very little sense, which if anything adds to the humor, and overall it's a pretty breezy and exciting mid-90s stunt film. Chan co-hosts a cooking show with his adopted Italian dad, crashes a group wedding of leather-clad toughs and their biker brides, and takes on the mob. Kind of standard stuff but it's pretty silly and there's an excellent bit with doors and another with a giant balloon animal.

Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)

Very engaging and witty narrative that is slightly marred by an unsatisfying finale. In spite of some funny lines ("I haven't been f***ed like that since kindergarten") Helena Bonham Carter's character didn't seem to have much of a role outside of token love interest, especially towards the end.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.

Humorous western that dragged some as it went on. Really enjoyable cast and writing, however. The trio of Lee Marvin, (Joe Knox), and Strother Martin is a lot of fun. The supporting characters, good and bad, all add a good bit in their own way. Quirky movie with an amusing script and entertaining storyline. Some adult themes though I'd keep away from the kids.

The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday:
+

Duke Ellington music and the creative little cartoon drew me in at once. The story of the case seems to unravel at the perfect pace for the beginning. Instantly, Jimmy Stewart makes me want to watch it more, just something about his performance adds a lot. You never really know if the Manions are good or bad. They're just enough of both and dabble back and forth enough to keep you very intriguing. Preminger's stylish shots are nearly flawless. I like that you keep guessing and guessing about the characters, and then you never really know what the truth is. Fascinating courtroom drama, probably one of the best I've seen.

Anatomy of a Murder:

While far from non-stop laughs and better for a few hearty laughs and a number of chuckles. The whole anti-marriage concept is the humorous part of the movie really. Jack Lemmon and Virni Lisi do a marvelous job of adding a lot to the film. Terry Thomas is rather a hidden gem in the flick, quite fun and quirky as the butler. I'd say nice for the romantic in you if anything, and yet part of the ending makes strides for married men of the time. Enjoyable movie, although it would've been best watched for me with a little more time to spend.

How to Murder Your Wife:

Very dark comedy comprised of a suttle laughs and a handful of gags. If I wasn't laughing, I was really intrigued by the storyline. It twists and twists into a pretzel of, well, hired hits. Matthew Perry was perfect for the part of the lovable yet desperate dentist. Bruce Willis is ideal for the part of the quirky hitman. All the supporting actors could be said the same for. Really nice job on casting all around. The script is better in places than others, but that's no surprise really. Not a masterpiece but enjoyable, fun, goofy, and just kind of a good time.

The Whole Nine Yards:

Watched half an hour and got way more annoyed at the characters than laughed. Charles Grodin and Cybill Shepard seemed promising, but I just felt like I was wasting my time. Perhaps, I'll give it another go one day, but not any time soon.

The Heartbreak Kid:

Really impressed with this one. I've probably said it before that I've been wanting to see these movies for well over a year now. Finally, I got to see the first. The Dark Knight has nothing on this. Simple, yet completely engaging movie. No complaints in any department from me. I was amazed that Tim Burton made it look like comic book come to life. I could see it through the entire movie with splashs of color on mostly dark sets. I loved Keaton as Batman. I wish he would've done more. Nicholson's Joker is far better than Ledger's IMO. Equally creepy but far more enjoyable. Basinger was the weakest point for me, but she was still pretty good. Action, good dialouge, surprises, and loads of suspense. This movie flew by for me, and I'm buying it the next time I'm at the mall.

Batman (1989):
+

It was really hard to get into this one after watching Batman. Tank, however, is a truly great movie of its kind. It's one of those flicks from the 70s and 80s that start out as dramas and flow into suspense and action atmosphere. The Southern law issue is used tactfully. James Garner I felt added a lot here. His performance seemed to hold things together and my attention through the slow first part. The storyline quite unique. The ending gets far-fetched, but that's not very surprising. Basically, if this your kind of movie, you'll really like/love it. If it's not, it's not bad. A little on the long side though.

Tank:

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
The Wickerman
Robin Hardy, 1973

The Apartment
Billy Wilder, 1960

The Kids Are Alright
Lisa Cholodenko, 2010

127 Hours
Danny Boyle, 2010

I've said this before and I believe that Yoda agrees: when you rate a movie you are telling more about yourself than you are about the movie. However, if all you do is rate a movie, then I'm not really sure what you think because when you don't explain it, it's a mystery. That's why I would never grade anyone based on their ratings alone. I need to understand the meaning behind the rating, and when I post even the slightest bit of comments, I hope that I'm making myself clearer about what I believe and feel about a movie.
Sure, sure. This is all true. But I'm not claiming objectivity in a rating. Ever. The only thing that is measured is my own perception of my own perception of the film, usually very soon after I've seen it---this probably means it includes the "super-ego" biases of various critics who I try to read both before and after seeing any film.

In this way, it's really not a fair examination of anything but myself, as you say.

It does resemble grading in that, if there are certain sequences that work really well, my mind naturally enacts a "curve".

Le dernier combat (1983) -

Luc Besson's first lengthy film, and my favorite of his behind The Fifth Element. Seems like a more down-to-earth counterpart of Mad Max II. I actually think this would have been better if it were in color.

I Saw the Devil (2010)
-
+
It puts an interesting spin on the serial killer genre by victimizing the murderer throughout most of the film, as well as rendering very emotional profiles of its two main characters. This gives Shutter Island a run for its money as my favorite of 2010.

While far from non-stop laughs and better for a few hearty laughs and a number of chuckles. The whole anti-marriage concept is the humorous part of the movie really. Jack Lemmon and Virni Lisi do a marvelous job of adding a lot to the film. Terry Thomas is rather a hidden gem in the flick, quite fun and quirky as the butler. I'd say nice for the romantic in you if anything, and yet part of the ending makes strides for married men of the time. Enjoyable movie, although it would've been best watched for me with a little more time to spend.

How to Murder Your Wife:
Nice. I think that movie's really funny and I agree, Terry Thomas as the misogynistic butler/narrator is hilarious. If you want something a little bit lighter but just as fun with Thomas I strongly recommend Make Mine Mink.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Nice. I think that movie's really funny and I agree, Terry Thomas as the misogynistic butler/narrator is hilarious. If you want something a little bit lighter but just as fun with Thomas I strongly recommend Make Mine Mink.
I'll have to keep that one in mind

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The King's Speech

Likable, but not overwhelming.
WARNING: "The King's Speech" spoilers below
I liked that there wasn't one big dramatic moment when he was miraculously cured of his speech difficulties, and that it was more focused on the developing relationship between Bertie and Lionel and how Lionel's continued support helped with a continuing problem
. Colin Firth will probably win the Oscar (although I preferred his performance in last year's A Single Man). I normally like Guy Pearce but he was a bit over the top in this, I thought.

Unforgiven

I watched this since it ended up so highly placed in the MoFo Top 100. Not being a big fan of Westerns I have to say I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much but I should have had more faith in the taste of my fellow MoFos, it really is an excellent film, well shot, well acted, nicely morally ambiguous.

Point Break

Silly, silly film. Undercover surfing cop. With some sky-diving thrown in for... well, I was going to say 'good measure' but 'no real reason' would probably be more accurate. The ending is ridiculous. And yet, it's all perfectly enjoyable.

Disco Pigs

Unpleasant movie, a variation on the 'misfit teens have unhealthily intense relationship which ends in violence' type. Except there's no real variation here, nothing new or interesting. Worth watching for earlyish performances from Cillian Murphy and Elaine Cassidy, maybe, but on the whole it's quite shoddily made. There are things that defy logic
WARNING: "Disco Pigs" spoilers below
Pig beats someone to death in a crowded nightclub and nobody intervenes or calls the police? And the ending...
and there's even a shot where they are sat next to each other at a table and then suddenly sat the other way round which is hopelessly poor editing.

Knocked Up

An ok-ish film about an unexpected pregnancy. Not really funny. The men are all immature and irresponsible while the women are all shrill and bossy. It irked me that for all the lip service paid to how difficult their situation was and how they have no money, it's never really an issue for them. It's a bit like an extended episode of 'Friends' with more drugs and swearing. Quite a lot more swearing, actually - I'm not shocked by it, but I was surprised at just how much the characters swore at each other continually.

Toy Story 3

Ok, I cried at this about three times. Maybe I am that hormonal at the moment or maybe the film is particularly manipulative. Probably both. I didn't think this was as good as Toy Story 2, which is much funnier. I thought some parts of this were really quite scary for a U rated movie (much scarier than Cars, which is a PG). But the important question, what do the children think? Friday Next, 4, said "I didn't like any of that." Well, pretty damning verdict there...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Ninotchka (Ernst Lubitsch, 1939)
- Greta Garbo is radiant in this romantic Lubitsch bauble which shows what we thought of the Soviet way of life on the brink of WWII.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Jim Jarmusch, 1999)
+ - Enjoyable film isn't quite as good in total as its parts are, but it contains enough quirky characters and dialogue to remain watchable throughout.

The Lost Weekend (Billy Wilder, 1945)
- Still powerful Oscar winner about dipsomania has good acting and a wonderfully eerie theremin score by Miklos Rozsa.

Punch-Drunk Love (P T Anderson, 2002)
- Strange mixture of the unbelievable and the realistic showcases one of Adam Sandler's best performances and has a hilarious turn by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

So Long at the Fair (Anthony Dumborough & Terence Fisher, 1950)
- One of those missing person/is she insane? thrillers which the British do well. This one fals in the middle but with Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde is worth a peak.

She Couldn't Say No (Lloyd Bacon, 1954)
- Jean Simmons and Robert Mitchum in a silly romantic comedy about a rich young woman affecting the lives of citizens in a small town.

A Bullet is Waiting (John Farrow, 1954)
- Outdoor thriller looks good but has a totally preposterous plot involving an escaped killer and a sheriff.

Black Water (David Nerlich & Andrew Traucki, 2007)
- I watched this due to Used Future's write-up, and although I rate it lower than he does, it certainly contains long stretches of suspense when a crocodile terrorizes a family on a vacation in the Australian backwater. It's very simple and straightforward, and some will find it a little underwhelming, but others will certainly have their nerves wracked.

Baby Doll (Elia Kazan, 1956)
- Steamy Tennessee Williams sex comedy still packs a wallop after 55 years. Karl Malden is hilarious while Carroll Baker and Eli Wallach provide the Sex with a capital S-E-X.

Old Yeller (Robert Stevenson, 1957)
- The Disney film which breaks lots of boys' hearts is still entertaining and heartwarming leading up to the tragic finale. It's basically Disney's version of The Yearling.

Enter the Dragon (Robert Clouse, 1973)
- American-financed kung-fu extravaganza doesn't take itself too seriously and shows how Bruce Lee could have been a big star if he had survived.

Talk Radio (Oliver Stone, 1988)
- Eric Begosian shines in this laceratingly-funny adaptation of his play about a Dallas late night talk show host who insults most of his callers, whether they be fans or detractors. The film was certainly ahead of its time in depicting how politics and radio seem intertwined here in the U.S.

Nicholas & Alexandra (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1971)
+ - Three-hour epic about the end of royalty in Russia, the Russian Revolution and the politics of WWI has a tremendous cast and is a solid movie, but it may have enough plot for at least two movies.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Robert Ellis Miller, 1968)
- Wonderful performances by Alan Arkin as a deaf mute and Sondra Locke as a sensitive high school sophomore anchor this quietly-powerful Southern drama based on a Carson McCullers novel.

Terms of Endearment (James L. Brooks, 1983)
- This is still one of the better films in the tragicomedy genre, mostly because it's hilarious most of the way and it never gets maudlin even if Michael Gore's musical score threatens to do so. Impeccable performances by Debra Winger, Shirley MacLaine, Jack Nicholson, Jeff Daniels, John Lithgow and several others.

For Whom the Bell Tolls (Sam Wood, 1943)
- Good color and action in this exciting adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's Spanish Civil War classic. Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman are a great pair of lovers amidst the constant sniping and bombing, but ultimately the film is a tad overlong to maintain classic status considering how single-minded the story is.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Crash (2005)

Overpraised and anything but subtle, this still has a lot to recommend it, with realistic writing and strong performances, especially from Matt Dillon & Terrence Howard. One thing though: Sandra Bullock did not have enough screentime.

Dinner For Schmucks (2010)

Very entertaining to see Steve Carrell excel as a total idiot, but this film could have been way better. A generous rating for Carrell's performance and the dinner sequence.

GoodFellas (1990)

Still the best mafia film ever in my opinion and easily the best of the three movies I watched last night. This is a re-watch, btw.

Due Date (2010)

The film had some funny moments but in the end its pretty much the same old modern day comedy. Zack G's character was pretty much the mirror image of his character in the Hangover which was expected.

Some Like It Hot (1959)

Comedy at its best. This film IMO is one of the best comedy's ever made.

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Both Hoffman and Voight give outstanding performances in this gritty film.

Searching For Bobby Fisher (1993)

One of my favorite films of all time.

Movies I've Been Watching Lately:

Apocalypse Now (Redux version - Blu-ray): This is one of the BEST Blu-ray movies on the market. If you buy Blu-ray, I encourage you to buy this movie. I watched this on a big 47" inch TV and it blew me away. You drown in it. Outstanding film, too.

Leaves of Grass (2009, Edward Norton) -- Love this movie.

Henry: Portrait of the Serial Killer -- great horror film. Intense.

Think it's been three weeks since my last post here. I haven't watched too many films lately but out of the ones I have seen there are some real keepers.

My Name Is Nobody (1973, Tonino Valerii)

Jaguar (1967, Jean Rouch)

They Made Me a Fugitive (1947, Alberto Cavalcanti)

Barren Illusions (1999, Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

The Accountant (2001, Ray McKinnon)

Serie Noire (1979, Alain Corneau)

Os Fuzis (1964, Ruy Guerra)

Stereo (1969, David Cronenberg)

Perfumed Nightmare (1977, Kidlat Tahimik)

The Falls (1980, Peter Greenaway)

El Topo (1970, Alejandro Jodorowsky)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

This brings me up to date.

River of No Return (Otto Preminger, 1954)
Somewhat uneven chase movie set in the old west. It has some nice mountain and river scenery, as well as some fairly hokey sound-stage sets (my favorite is the dry, roomy and perfectly level-floored cave they find just when they need it); nasty indians, nasty cowboys; Marylin Monroe and the kid from Lassie; a dangerous river journey -- so there should be at least something in there for most people to enjoy. On the other hand the moral core of the movie is pretty obvious from the get go so the character dynamics and romantic involvement between saloon-maid Marylin and the farmer with a dark past played by Robert Mitchum quickly begin to drag. If all you require from a western is moral clarity of character and an easy-to-swallow message you can find it in spades in better written ones than this, but it's still watchable.

Zodiac Killers (Ann Hui, 1992)
I need to check out more of Ann Hui's movies, having seen The Stunt Woman and now this. The misleadingly-titled Zodiac Killers is about a loosely-knit group of Exchange students and emigrants from Hong Kong, Taiwan and the PRC living in Tokyo's shinjuku district, where yakuza and both Japanese and foreign crooks rule. The film's initial lack of virtuosic directorial touches is deceptive and only serves to ramp up the eventual tension in the story between how it seems to play out naturally, producing lots of disparate threads, and how people who fight to remain true to themselves somehow get pulled together.

+

Family Game (Yoshimitsu Morita, 1983)
I'm still not entirely sure what I thought of this movie, which I watched in two segments. It's about a family of four (mother, father, two boys) who hire a tutor to get their youngest into a good high school. The film ends up becoming a sort of study of Japanese family-roles which may have been unraveling by the early 80s in the face of the coming real-estate bubble. In this context the tutor becomes a central character since he's forced to play not only teacher but also a proxy mother, father, and brother to his spineless young charge. There's certainly some humor in how he shifts between these roles but the movie also seems to have a serious (and fairly critical) point to make in that none of the characters ever show much active interest in even their own lives.

+

Panic in the Streets (Elia Kazan, 1950)
Decent "god's-eye-view" type suspense-thriller where the audience watches the flow of information, misinformation, and a potential epidemic as it crawls from a seedy gambling den up to the Mayors office of New Orleans, and back down to the gutter again. I may be underrating it slightly but I think I actually enjoyed it more as a whole than a more-famous Kazan film that I recently watched.

-

Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)

This is my third time watching this one, and I still need to see Redux. I'm still with those who think the ending is unsatisfying, especially Kurtz, and the "fight" between him and Willard is hilariously corny and not helped by the seaming earnestness and heaviness of the "journey into your emptyness" metaphor it caps off. In spite of how chaotic and risky the film's production supposedly was, as a narrative about America in Vietnam the movie is surprisingly clear and straightforward, and it has some amazing images throughout its entire run-time.

A Mighty Wind (Christopher Guest, 2003)

Guest takes his "jokes about jokes, performance of a performance" sense of humor to a made up public radio memorial concert for a 1960s folk-music mogul, featuring a bunch of bands nobody cares about. This is enjoyable enough, but it's a little less odd than The Best in Show.

The Blue Light (Leni Riefenstahl, 1932)

This is a gorgeously photographed and composed movie that actually left me a little more cold than Riefenstahl's later documentary work. Some people might say that the story and characters being simple, mythic archetypes might fit well with her absolute commitment to aesthetic perfection. I think I need a better excuse than that, but the the movie is certainly worth recommending on its cinematic merits.

+

The Edge of the World

It was interesting watching this early Michael Powell film not long after seeing The Blue Light. Their similarities make their differences more striking, like how even though both movies are about small communities struggling in harsh environments this movie seems much more humanistic and morally ambiguous. For climbing scenes The Blue Light winds hands-down but this does have some good ones and a more-interesting story.

-

Rome, Open City (Roberto Rossellini, 1945)

A surprisingly tense, low budgeted and character-centric film about occupied Italy at the end of WWII. Taken on their own the cinematic aspects of this movie probably won't satisfy modern audiences for this sort war-drama but the apparent immediacy of this drama to its cast and crew is conveyed in just about every aspect of the film.

Thunderbolt (Gordon Chan, 1995)

Jackie Chan again, this time playing a mechanic who does side-work for the police and gets mixed up in an investigation of an racer/mob hitman. This is one of Jackie's action drama's where there's plenty of action and less comedy but it has some exciting bits such as a multi-tiered fight in a Shinjuku pachinko parlor, as well as an apology to the various stunt drivers who got injured during filming.

Dead Again (Kenneth Branagh, 1992)

Plays on the classic detective movies of the 40s with Kenneth Branagh directing and starring alongside his then-wife Emma Thompson. It's worth seeing for that alone but although the whodunnit aspect of the movie has a surprise twist the larger situation about fate that the movie posits isn't fully explored.

The Battleship Potempkin (Sergei Eisenstein, 1925)

This is a pretty simple and straightforward movie that, in terms of how much its techniques have been absorbed into popular cinema, is hugely influential - but I prefer the much wilder and weirder montage techniques in October. It's still worth seeing this movie just for the celebrated Odessa Steps scene.

+

Mad Detective (Johnny To, Wai Ka-Fai, 2007)

Decent supernatural detective movie that's doesn't build enough credibility in its mystery but has some interesting ideas. The premise is that an ex-cop can see the "true personalities" of people and is re-enlisted by his old partner to help find what happened to a missing colleague. Some of the direction is very cool and weird, shifting between reality and our detective's inner world in which one suspect might actually be a tentatively-collusive group of seven competing personalities.

-

Visions of Light

Highly informative documentary about cinematographers and how they fit into film-making as a business and more-particularly as an art form should increase most peoples' appreciation of classic cinema.

-

The Grapes of Wrath (John Ford, 1940)

Epic road-movie adaptation of the Steinbeck novel about a family of poor okie sharecroppers who are kicked off their land and flee the dust-bowl for supposedly greener pastures in California. Decent story and performances with great black and white cinematography and cinematic texture that expresses the poverty of rural America more effectively and timelessly than contemporary dramatic and acting conventions (even in this very film).

Irreversible (Gaspar Noé, 2002)

Chronologically "reversed" revenge story that has characters who become less and less appealing the more you know about them, but reveals it to be a bit more ambiguous than a simple backwards story. There are a couple weak (they seemed weak to me, anyway) hints that the story after a certain point may be a projection of one of the characters (or maybe even of her unborn daughter), and a deliberately-dragging rape scene that is a bit of a slog to get through. Worth checking out but Memento is better.

+

The Swordsman (Siu-Tung Ching, King Hu, 1990)

Very convoluted film-workshop adaptation of a 1960s martial arts novel by Jin Yong (you can read it online here. It has some beautiful, almost elegiac scenes (that I like in spite of how cheesy they are) involving singing, but has a truncated, budget-restricted aesthetic in the fights (even by typical Film Workshop standards).

+

Parisian Love (Louis J. Gasnier, 1925)

Clara Bow, perhaps the first modern sex symbol in terms of media exposure, stars in this class romance about thieves who hurt each other but wind up making good (if you think this is a spoiler you haven't seen very many Hollywood romance movies). Bow has a likable, open screen presence that isn't always at its most flattering here and although the movie has some clever staging and writing (particularly at the beginning) it feels a bit long.

+

The Muppet Movie (James Frawley, 1979)

The first and most-successful Muppet Movie is also one of the best statements of artistic possibility in cinema, with the muppets singing "life is a movie, write your own ending, keep believing, keep pretending." All the talents involved in this seem to play off each other perfectly and at an amazingly deep level and of course the movie is also highly self-aware and about itself while also trying to actually engage with the rest of humanity, so it gets my highest recommendation.

Scarface (Brian De Palma, 1983)

Stylish, violent epic about excessive personalities who sadly don't have anything else going for them. De Palma's eye is always impressive but other than some swooping crane shots this seems like one of his tamer films in that regard. The acting and dialog? Funny - think unintentional Nacho Libre accents with Cuban gangsters.

+

The Baader Meinhof Complex (Uli Edel, 2008)

Retells about a decade of terrorism in response to seemingly (at least in this movie's portrayal) unorganized police violence in about two and a half long hours. The movie doggedly focuses on the people playing Baader and Meinhof without telling us much about their characters (particularly the latter, because in the case of Andreas Baader he just seems like a simplistic self-aggrandizing thug who doesn't seem that interesting anyway), with the exception of several text-book "important events" montages that bridge dramatic scenes. There is one voyeuristic scene when Baader and Mein are captured that takes you outside of the Baader-Meinhof drama and into the constructed 1970s Germany briefly and is probably the most enjoyable minute in the movie. Unfortunately for the most part the film seems like an unfocused and disconnected collection of stock scenes to me (though I have to admit the above still looks more exciting than I remember that scene being).

On the Waterfront (Elia Kazan, 1954)

Fun 1950s thriller centered on an intense performance of an ambivalent character by Brando. You can measure the rest of the cast by how long they keep him from stealing their scenes, but I think the only one who really holds his own is Rod Steiger as Brando's older brother. Their scene together is probably the strongest in the movie, though in terms of editing and overall design I think the best scene is the "confession" which is one of the few where the use of sound is effective and doesn't feel forced and movieish.

-

Showboat (James Whale, 1936)

Actorly 1930s musical about tolerance, understanding, and love-as-performance (and one that actually seems well ahead of its time in taking this common message "all the way," even by current Hollywood standards), while at the same time dating itself with a blackface scene. There seem to be musical numbers in just about every scene in the movie so it should hit a soft-spot with most people (if you like musicals). I felt like the movie took a while to get going so if you're not immediately sold you might want to give it a little while.

+

Down to the Sea in Ships (Elmer Clifton, 1922)

Fascinating historical document of the later days of the New England Whaling industry, when it and the Quaker lifestyle were major drivers of world commerce and culture. Many people today will probably be ambivalent about this film as it unflinchingly portrays the brutality of hunting and butchering whales in a form that is intentionally promotional, but we're lucky we have such a cinematic record of it. The romantic story is pretty standard (for the time) but this movie also features future sex-symbol Clara Bow in a breakthrough performance.

Bacchanalles Sexuelles (Jean Rollin, 1973)

I actually just lost interest (and was pressed for time) around the middle of this movie so I just gave up.

Bullet in the Head (John Woo, 1990)

I'm really torn on what to rate this movie because on the one hand, it's given me a greater appreciation of John Woo's strengths as an action director, and on the other hand I think the story of platonic macho-love that he's so obsessed with in all his films is overwrought and corny, and just doesn't grab me as the emotional core of a 2 hour movie, even if loyalty and betrayal are staples of the operatic-gangster movie. Overall I think people should decide for themselves, especially since it's often ranked as one of the -- or even simply the -- best Hong Kong action films but I can think of dozens that I prefer to this. It might make an interesting double feature with the Deer Hunter as well as Eastern Condors. The title is surprisingly clever but you'll have to sit through it to find out why.

+

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969)

I'd be willing to watch this again some time because, although it seemed decent, I just wasn't that into it last night.

Wings (William A. Wellman, 1927)

Same with this, although I actually think there are some clear problems of length and melodramatic acting and writing here. The movie has some earlier examples of camera-set-ups that Howard Hughes would use in his a more-compelling WWI fighter-pilot drama, Hell's Angels.

+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's a whole lot of movies, but I can briefly comment about a few of them. The great photography you're talking about in The Grapes of Wrath was actually done by Gregg "Deep Focus" Toland the year before Citizen Kane.

I believe that you probably "get" Showboat quite well, but I don't agree with the blackface comment since it's important for historical and thematic reasons. The "Ol' Man River" scene is one of the all-time greatest and shows director James Whale using expressionism just as much as he ever did in his Frankenstein movies.

The above is the cleanest version on YouTube, but you have to CLICK on
to watch it here.

I don't understand your low ratings for The Baader Meinhof Complex and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but I'll hold off making assumptions about those. On the other hand, I feel your joy in describing The Muppet Movie while somehow being unable to relate it to my more modest enjoyment of it.

Thanks for all the 29 (!!) reviews.

The Golem (1920)

Very interesting fantasy that plays out well in the thrill department too. The most standout thing is the expressionistic visual flare that it gives off, with cinematography by Karl Freund (who later directed The Mummy and Mad Love and served as cinematographer for Dracula and Metropolis).

Keep a lookout for similarities between this and Frankenstein, as it appeared to me as a likely inspiration for the 1931 film.

Imposter (2001)

I suppose that negative criticism could point to it being too much of a recycled Hollywood sci-fi film. Even if it’s a little too predictable, it’s fun to watch, has some good expressionistic set design, above-average performances from most of the cast (especially D’Onofrio), a nice use of lighting, and an engaging plot based on a Philip K. Dick short.

… A Melville triple bill:
Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
-
Much akin to Le Samourai, I think Melville mastered his quietly tense style here (especially during the heist scene, which was the highlight of the film for me).

Le Deuxieme Souffle (1966)

It may not be the most original film of its kind, and Melville’s style doesn’t seem to be in full form here, but it’s a very good flick regardless.

Le Doulos (1962)
+
Establishes an excellent noir-ish tone with lengthy shots, shadowy lighting, and an excellent score. Unfortunately, despite a strong ending, the plot seems a little disarrayed.

… And a killer crocodilian triple bill:
Black Water (2007)

The film’s characters (which seem insanely idiotic even by horror film standards) drag the film down quite a lot. On the bright side, it saves its surprises for opportune moments and lets you savor the moment the killer croc will actually pop up. Not to mention that it has a surprisingly realistic tone (much to its advantage, it even uses a real crocodile).

Primeval (2007)

I may be going a little easy on it because of the unfairly negative reputation it has, but it’s nowhere near as bad as most movie goers made it out to be. If something should be criticized, it’s the advertising campaign for making this appear to be a serial killer film. It’s no surprise that people were angrily disappointed when they got a film about a ‘serial killing’ crocodile instead. One standout thing that hinders the film is the computer generated croc, which seems to range from about 20 feet to 50.

The film claims to be inspired by a true story. You wouldn’t think that a splatter-ish film about a crocodile would have much factual history behind it, but this one surprisingly does. The incredible story is based on a twenty foot crocodile named ‘Gustave’ who has claimed over one-hundred victims (though locals speculate that the body count is actually over 300) over the course of decades, has evaded traps set out for it, and has bullet wounds and scars all over its body. Google it.

Rogue (2007)
+
It’s a wee bit over-the-top, but very fun, and the director knows how to use suspense to adequately toy with the viewer. It abides by a few horror film clichés as well, but not enough to completely ruin its unpredictability factor. It’s not campy enough for me to call it a camp film, but most of its fun still derives from the exaggerated story.

That's a whole lot of movies, but I can briefly comment about a few of them. The great photography you're talking about in The Grapes of Wrath was actually done by Gregg "Deep Focus" Toland the year before Citizen Kane.
Thanks! I forgot to credit Toland as the cinematographer on John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath.

I believe that you probably "get" Showboat quite well, but I don't agree with the blackface comment since it's important for historical and thematic reasons. The "Ol' Man River" scene is one of the all-time greatest and shows director James Whale using expressionism just as much as he ever did in his Frankenstein movies.
I wasn't clear about that, but I didn't really have a problem with this movie's use of blackface, which fits in with the movie's discussions of race and performance and as you said with its historical setting. Within the context of the movie's themes it may also be a form of artistic miscegenation. It's problematic to the extent that any depiction of a subjugated race by a dominant one could be hurtful or a statement of power but I don't think that's the case with Showboat and I even suspect it may have been subversive, just as the "one-drop" scene probably was. Anti-miscegenation laws weren't universally repealed in this country until 31 years after this movie was made (!) so as I said I think the movie is well ahead of its time. Still, today even a film-appreciator like Ebert would labels blackface offensive regardless of intent (or at least that's how I interpreted his review of Bamboozled) so it's hard not to note how touchy a topic it is.

I don't understand your low ratings for The Baader Meinhof Complex and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Like I said I'll probably give Sundance another go. Not sure about Baader Meinhof but it felt like it was missing something important. Or maybe I was about either or both of those. Like you said that's a lot of movies for a short period of time, and I don't think it was possible to distribute my attention span evenly amongst them. Have you seen the BM Complex? I haven't seen anything about it written here. It was actually recommended by a good friend about a year ago.

The Muppet Movie deserves a longer write-up.

Godforsaken (Van God Los), 2003, Kuijpers

Stylish lifestyle sketch with strong performances. The characters are treated in depth, which really makes you get a good sense of the person behind the criminal. Godforsaken is a realistic, gripping underworld portrayal.

Grbavica, 2006, Zbanic

Moving debut of the Bosnian Jamila Zbanic set in a post-Balkan war setting about a woman who has trouble to make ends meet and her daughter who wants to find out more about her father. It takes some time to draw you in, but near the end I really cared for the characters. This one won the Golden Bear in Berlin btw.

Sabrina, 1954, Wilder

The story is like a confusing fairy tale, but the humor is the best thing about this shrewd Wilder film.

+

Transamerica, 2005, Tucker

Moments of drama are interchanged with doses of humor in this road movie about a transsexual woman and a runaway teenager with a very convincing Felicty Huffman.

For Roseanna, 1997, Weiland

The enthusiasm of the internationally tinted cast gushes off the screen in this charming, but naive film about life and love when confronted with death. Jean Reno is very solid.

Dark Blue, 2002, Shelton

Gutsy Ellroy adaptation that isn't anywhere close to L.A. Confidential due to the forced dialogue and an ironic but nagging speech at the end.

La Solitudine Dei Numeri Primi, 2010, Costanzo

Well, I don't know if the book is any better, but after going through this 2 hour long adaptation I don't feel like finding out. After 5 minutes in I lost the wire that runs through the story and never really found it back again. The problem is that Costanzo is switching the various timelines without the least bit of sense for rhythm or logic. As a result, it takes you about half an hour to find out who is who which makes you care little to nothing about the characters.