Favorite Performances of 1930

Tools    

Hello everyone, I'm working on a little personal project of mine which involves examining great performances from throughout film history by year. I was wondering if any of you could help me a bit by telling me what some of your favorite performances from 1930 are. They can be lead or supporting performances, they just have to had stood out to you or impressed you. I've seen quite a few films from that year but not too many books or blogs really focus on performances so I'm curious to see what others think were some of the standout performances of that year.

Emil Jannings is superb in The Blue Angel imo and in a lesser known offering I liked Ruth Chatterton's performance in Anybody's Woman.

If it's a 'personal project' though surely the performances should be ones that impressed you , not I nor anyone else.

Hello everyone, I'm working on a little personal project of mine which involves examining great performances from throughout film history by year. I was wondering if any of you could help me a bit by telling me what some of your favorite performances from 1930 are. They can be lead or supporting performances, they just have to had stood out to you or impressed you. I've seen quite a few films from that year but not too many books or blogs really focus on performances so I'm curious to see what others think were some of the standout performances of that year.
First of all — love your avatar . I was admiring Cate last night in Notes on a Scandal. Secondly, I've checked and can't find any 1930 film that I've seen, which is a shame. I have The Blood of a Poet somewhere too.

I like the Marx Brothers in Animal Crackers released that year. I have not seen Queen Christiana with Greta Garbo but I think she is a wonderful performer, and I would bet that Queen Christiana would be worth checking out.

I've always found Lew Ayres very charismatic in All Quiet on the Western Front, as well as a great performance from Louis Wolheim who plays 'Kat'. Jean Harlow in Hell's Angels definitely a major standout. Two big American films of the year for sure.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Queen Christina is from 1933, but Anna Christie is from 1930. They're both worth checking out. I think I'd add Marie Dressler in Min and Bill, Norma Shearer in The Divorcee and Ronald Colman in Raffles.