People Who Became Famous BECAUSE The Movie Was SO Bad

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Ed Wood for Plan Nine from Outer Space

This is a little OT but- Not for movies, but I couldn't help thinking of Ted McGinley - the television actor who became known as the 'jump the shark' actor. He was tv s equivalent of a thread killer- whatever show he was hired to be in started declining in quality, ratings , and was usually cancelled.. I think I first noticed him in the Practice. About shortly before the time I stopped watching.

Actually I've just been hearing Gina Gershon reading the quotes of Ava Gardner in a documentary about Frank Sinatra. Good documentary – I've seen bits of it before.

...I couldn't help thinking of Ted McGinley...He was tv s equivalent of a thread killer- whatever show he was hired to be in started declining in quality, ratings , and was usually cancelled.. I think I first noticed him in the Practice. About shortly before the time I stopped watching.
Oh he goes way back before The Practice. He was a late comer to Happy Days and was Fonzie's foil. I liked him on that show. But then he was a later comer to The Love Boat as a photographer, hated that character. But then again he was a cast regular on the hit show Married With Children. So kind of a mixed bag.

Oh he goes way back before The Practice. He was a late comer to Happy Days and was Fonzie's foil. I liked him on that show. But then he was a later comer to The Love Boat as a photographer, hated that character. But then again he was a cast regular on the hit show Married With Children. So kind of a mixed bag.
He was in one of my favorite movies - Revenge of the Nerds (1984)!

I think the last time I seen that was 1984 But he was a nerd, that seems a stretch for him.
Oh no, no!
Ted was the bad guy - the Adam's College quarterback and President of the Greek Council. He was the leader of the jocks & was pretty much the source of all the Nerd's problems (and he was perfect in that role!)

Oh no, no!
Ted was the bad guy - the Adam's College quarterback and President of the Greek Council. He was the leader of the jocks & was pretty much the source of all the Nerd's problems (and he was perfect in that role!)
Oh, OK...not that makes sense. I thought they nerded him up with a pair of thick glasses and pocket protector with slider ruler.....Like I said it's been a long time since I seen that one.

Oh, OK...not that makes sense. I thought they nerded him up with a pair of thick glasses and pocket protector with slider ruler.....Like I said it's been a long time since I seen that one.
No Ted played Stan Gabriel, the leader of the jock fraternity...Robert Carradine was the one who was nerded up with the glasses and pocket protector.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Neil Breen

A master.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Pia Zadora

Here it is the week leading up to The Golden Globe Awards in 2020. Back in 1982 their voting process and credibility came under scrutiny when an actress named Pia Zadora won the Globe as New Star of the Year for a dreadful little potboiler named Butterfly. Pia had appeared in the Z-grade "MST3K" fodder Santa Claus Conquers the Martians as a child but at eighteen made her starring debut in Butterfly, which was produced by Pia's very rich, much older husband. A handful of known names appeared in the flick for a paycheck including Orson Welles, Stacy Keach, James Franciscus, Stuart Whitman, and Ed McMhaon with a score by the legendary Ennio Morricone. The film was rightly savaged by critics and ignored by everyone else. Ignored except for a parody awards show only in its third year of existence, The Golden Raspberry Awards, where it was nominated for ten sarcastic swipes including wins for Ed McMahon as Worst Supporting actor and Pia "winning" both Worst Actress and Worst New Star.

Oh, yeah, and in addition to The Razzies Pia was also nominated and won that New Star of the Year at the Globes over Kathleen Turner (Body Heat), Elizabeth McGovern (Ragtime), Rachel Ward (Sharky's Machine), Howard Rollins (Ragtime), and Craig Wasson (Four Friends). After the shocking and embarrassing win it was revealed that Zadora's multi-millionare husband had flown most of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association out to Vegas where he extravagantly wined and dined them and likely even flat out bribed them with cash. Pia Zadora's win was a blemish on the Golden Globes and the New Star of the Year award was discontinued after the following year, never to return.

Pia Zadora became a punchline and had a brief and unremarkable career in the wake of her Golden Globe "victory". She remains a footnote, a horrible actress only known because of the minor awards scandal.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nicole Kidman in BMX Bandits.

I still cringe to this day thinking of it, and apparently so does Nicole Kidman, who (I distinctly remember reading this in the newspaper maybe 25 years ago, maybe more?) tried to buy the rights to prevent it being released on DVD. From memory some of the bike stuntwork was pretty good for the time and there are a few familiar faces that people may recognize as well (David Argue, Angelo D'Angelo etc), but that was what really launched Kidman as a star on the rise in Australia.