Which was the best ever war movie?

Tools    

seems camo gettin drunk, again

hm... good question, War is such a massive concept and their have been so many War films. The best is likely Saving Private Ryan as it managed to capture the scope of the War with a sense of realism.

Funny how the lists are so WWII centric

1. Braveheart (1995)
2. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
3. Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)
4. Platoon (1986)
5. That Hamilton Woman (1941)
6. Letters from Iwo Jima (2002)
7. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
8. Starship Troopers (1997)
9. Kingdom of Heaven (2005) (Directors Cut)
10. The Human Condition (1959-1961)
11. Master and Commander: Far Side of the World (2002)
12. The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
13. Casablanca (1941)
14. Paisan (1946)
15. Downfall (2004)
16. Forbidden Games (1952)
17. Lone Survivor (2013)
18. The Story of GI Joe (1945)
19. Kanal (1956)
20. White Material (2009)

16. Forbidden Games (1952)
Was never sure what to do with Forbidden Games. Most of it is funny and slapstick but then you have that horrific beginning and heart wrenching ending. Its like someone book ended a Buster Keaton film between two short War tragedies.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
According to you which was the best movie?
  1. Schindlers List
  2. Saving Private Ryan
  3. The Thin Red Line
  4. The Pianist
  5. Dunkirk
  6. The Great Raid
  7. Das Boot
  8. Life is Beautiful
  9. The English Patient
  10. Defiance
  11. Hacksaw Ridge
  12. Allied
  13. Letters from Iwo Jima
  14. Inglorious Basterds
Personal favourite Das Boot, followed closely by Saving Private Ryan.

I don't actually wear pants.
My top three are the Human Condition from Kobayashi. I also love All Quiet on the Western Front, Saving Private Ryan, and My Way. According to IMDb, Kurosawa's Ran is also a war film, but I don't see it.

"War" is my second favourite genre, and I've voted for 143 on IMDb, if we include mini-series and TV shows, such as Our World War, and include those that are a little shaky, genre-wise.

I don't actually wear pants.
hm... good question, War is such a massive concept and their have been so many War films. The best is likely Saving Private Ryan as it managed to capture the scope of the War with a sense of realism.

Funny how the lists are so WWII centric
My theory as to why there are some many WWII films is that it's a clear depiction of "good vs evil", and so much happened, it's easy to find a part of the war to depict in film. And, as to why there are so many good ones, it's because there are so many, and the law of averages dictate that there has to be so many quality outputs with so many made in the first place.

There are so many... but only posting this because it's in my top ten list (which was only the top ten on my mind when I made the list - there's no way I can limit myself to "ten best" movies).

No Man's Land, or The Lives of Others really made me rethink the idea of what the greatest war movie could be. With those out of the question, I found Schindler's List to be hypnotic and bizarrely re-watchable.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Extremely tough question, although I will side with the perturbing, unnerving masterwork The Ascent, directed by Soviet female filmmaker Larisa Shepitko. It is a truly scarring and grim film, highlighting the dark realities of war in the most confrontational - yet seamlessly poetic - way. It makes Saving Private Ryan look like a Disney film, essentially. This film stayed with me for days, and it easily holds a position in my favourites.