Zotis' Favorite Actresses

Tools    

Oh thanks Citizen, I'm glad you like them and the thread. I think I go for the pretty without much make-up look, sorta tomboyish...
You know, I was going to say they were tomboyish looking, but I thought people would think I was criticizing (which I wouldn't be)...Oh, I like Michele Williams too! In fact I'm going to rewatch one of her movies for the countdown.

You know, I was going to say they were tomboyish looking, but I thought people would think I was criticizing (which I wouldn't be)...
Heh, well, I would have taken it as a compliment.

Oh, I like Michele Williams too! In fact I'm going to rewatch one of her movies for the countdown.
What countdown, the Western one? And, which movie?

The western countdown and I bet you can guess the movie I know you like it.
Oh well, in that case we need not mention it's name. One thing in particular about that movie... maybe I should mention two things...

When she fires the gun does she fire a real bullet? I think so...

That stood out to me from other Westerns, that it was set in an older time, and they actually fired an old musket off.

The other thing that stood out to me was the dialogue, the way the women kept quiet, but when she had something to say and was asked... She sure gave a mouthful of a very intelligent opinion.

Oh well, in that case we need not mention it's name. One thing in particular about that movie... maybe I should mention two things...

When she fires the gun does she fire a real bullet? I think so...

That stood out to me from other Westerns, that it was set in an older time, and they actually fired an old musket off.

The other thing that stood out to me was the dialogue, the way the women kept quiet, but when she had something to say and was asked... She sure gave a mouthful of a very intelligent opinion.
I don't mind mentioning it's name, it's not a secret that I really like Meek's Cutoff. I haven't seen it in awhile so can't answer you question about the bullet.

WIlliams generally does I think deserve a lot of credit for takin that direction in the late 00's with stuff like Wendy and Lucy or Blue Valentine rather than focusing on mainstream success that seemed there for the taking.

Why delay then...

Michelle Willaims
Meek's Cutoff

Blue Valentine

Manchester by the Sea

The United States of Leland

Wendy and Lucy

Mammoth

I still haven't seen Prozac Nation, I should get around to that... In fact there are a lot of her films I still haven't seen. She was asked in an interview if she would ever consider doing a big Hollywood movie, and she said something along the lines of, "Never say never, or you may end up eating your words, but I don't think so." That was before she did Oz and Venom...

There are a few movies she's in that I'm avoiding, but most of her filmography is pretty impressive. She was once asked in an interview if when nominated for an award there are any other actresses she feels she can act circles around. She said, "Meryl Streep."

Greta Gerwig
Francis Ha

Hannah Takes the Stairs

Greenberg

Mistress America

20th Century Women

I never had a crush on her, but I always liked her from the first movie of hers I saw, Francis Ha. There are a few movies of hers that look really solid, but for whatever reason I haven't gotten around to seeing, like Maggie's Plan and Lola Versus. Some of her work looks pretty mediocre though to be honest. I think in 20th Century Women there was something different about her. I've noticed the way that other actors and filmmakers are talking about her like she's a force to be reckoned with. I think a lot of talented young actors get overlooked and underappreciated for a long time before everyone starts to notice, and they accept roles far beneath their talent because they want or need the work. Hanna Takes the Stairs was a movie that I found really interesting, a movie that I think most people would not be able to watch because of the amateurish look to it, especially in the cinematography and plot structure. But I thought those elements gave it a very realistic feel, and in terms of the characters and the awkwardness of their lives I think it captured something very authentic.

Jenny Agutter
Logan's Run

I Start Counting

Walkabout

The Eagle Has Landed

This was my first vintage crush. I discovered her when I stumbled across Logan's Run on TV and was struck by how similar it was to Star Wars yet came out one year prior. I didn't really explore her filmography though, but when I got a little more interested in British Cinema and the 60's/70's she came up in some really interesting movies. My favorite of her films is I Start Counting, it's just such a charming little obscure gem with a dark undertone. I actually brought Walkabout to watch with my family a few years ago because it's such a great film. My Dad and Brother were both bored by it. I have to admit I took a little pride in my appreciation of art and understanding of cinema over them.

Brit Marling
Another Earth

The East

Sound of My Voice

Arbitrage

The OA

Brit Marling was never a crush, though she is beautiful, but just an admiration. She's a very talented actress who when she first started was getting offered roles like the cute blonde in horror flicks, so she said that if she wanted to play interesting characters she would have to write them herself. She then studied writing before entering film and co-writing her movies. I really admire her for that dedication, and the results speak volumes. My favorite of her films is Another Earth, a movie that really captivated me for a long time and had me re-watching it multiple times.

Kaya Scodelario
Tiger House

Wuthering Heights

Shank

The Maze Runner

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Maze Runner: The Death Cure

Another admiration, not a crush, Kaya is a very passionate actress who tends to give intense emotional performances. I really like her ability to cry and scream when fighting for her life or being profoundly wounded emotionally. The version of Wuthering Heights she did, a book adaptation that has been done many times, is my favorite rendition of the book, a classic which I have but haven't gotten around to reading yet.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Death Proof

Sky High

Final Destination 3

Black Christmas

Live Free or Die Hard

Make It Happen

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

The Thing

Smashed

10 Cloverfield Lane

Wolf Lake (TV)

True Calling (TV)

I think she's gorgeous and very talented. When she picks a good movie it's a real joy, and even when she doesn't she's still good in it. Sadly she chooses a lot of movies that I don't like, but she always stands out in them with her performance. My favorite work of hers is Smashed, a realistic drama about alcoholism.

Jenny Agutter
Logan's Run

I Start Counting

Walkabout

The Eagle Has Landed

I notice the lack of An American Werewolf In London. If that's not an oversight, then correct it asap both for the her appearance (stunning) and because it's a really good film.

Interview With The Vampire if also missing from Kirsten's list. OK, so you won't fancy her in it, but it's a fantastic performance. I'd also put forward Small Soldiers and Drop Dead Gorgeous as two more films I really like. The Cat's Meow is another I'd flag up.

If you've not seen Dick, then there's a twofer for you as it stars both Michelle and Kirsten Dunst. It's not a bad film either. Lastly, I think My Week With Marilyn is just about worth watching just to sit and look at Michelle as Marilyn. The fact she does so very well (IMO) is an added bonus.

I notice the lack of An American Werewolf In London. If that's not an oversight, then correct it asap both for the her appearance (stunning) and because it's a really good film.
I did try to watch it some years ago, but didn't enjoy it. I won't say it's a bad movie, but I found it a little cheesy and boring. I think the biggest issue for me was the dialogue, though I'm a bit hazy because it was years ago. But there is a lot of filler dialogue and the whole movie overall felt lacking in substance. I think it was pretty ground breaking at the time in terms of special effects and make-up.

Interview With The Vampire if also missing from Kirsten's list. OK, so you won't fancy her in it, but it's a fantastic performance. I'd also put forward Small Soldiers and Drop Dead Gorgeous as two more films I really like. The Cat's Meow is another I'd flag up.
Oh yeah, I've seen it. I'll add it, and I would rate it
. I need to watch it again to see how I feel about Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, but my impression from years ago was that I enjoyed it a lot. Normally I don't like Cruise or Pitt, but it was an exception. My brother read all of the Anne Rice books. I just didn't look at Dunst's child movies when I was doing the ratings and forgot about it.

If you've not seen Dick, then there's a twofer for you as it stars both Michelle and Kirsten Dunst. It's not a bad film either. Lastly, I think My Week With Marilyn is just about worth watching just to sit and look at Michelle as Marilyn. The fact she does so very well (IMO) is an added bonus.
Alright, I'll add Dick to my watchlist. I did think My Week With Marilyn looked like a stellar performance from Williams, but it still didn't really entice me all that much. I'm actually not a fan of Marilyn Monroe. She was beautiful, and probably very talented, but I'm not actually interested in women like her. I don't really care about how famous she was, but I am more attracted to modesty. I think she was a whore and her career was tacky. Like that whole, "Happy birthday Mr. President," thing, and standing on a vent blowing up her skirt... It actually makes me cringe. I don't find that hot at all. It's tempting, but in the way that makes you feel shame afterwards. I don't want that empty hollow feeling. I will consider it though for the sake of her performance and your recommendation, but I don't know when I'll get around to it with all the hundreds of movies on my towatch list.

Thanks for the comment though. I really do like having conversations about the stuff I post.

I don't mind mentioning it's name, it's not a secret that I really like Meek's Cutoff. I haven't seen it in awhile so can't answer you question about the bullet.
Do you remember the scene where she fires off two shots to alert her family? She fully loads the musket and it has quite a kick. They could fire real bullets because they're out in the middle of the desert. You don't normally see that kick when guns are fired in movies because they use blanks. Like for example in The Patriot when it's all muskets. There's the firey explosion of the shot, but no recoil because there's no force pushing back from the bullet being propelled since it's a blank.

Do you remember the scene where she fires off two shots to alert her family? She fully loads the musket and it has quite a kick. They could fire real bullets because they're out in the middle of the desert. You don't normally see that kick when guns are fired in movies because they use blanks. Like for example in The Patriot when it's all muskets. There's the firey explosion of the shot, but no recoil because there's no force pushing back from the bullet being propelled since it's a blank.
Sorry I don't remember the movie at all, except that I really liked it. A few days ago I requested it from the library and so will be watching it again in a few days...I'll make sure and pay attention to the musket shooting scene.

Yeah it has Zoe Kazan, and Will Patton and Bruce Greenwood. It has a great cast. Kelly Reichardt also directed Wendy and Lucy with Michelle Williams.

I still haven't seen Prozac Nation, I should get around to that... In fact there are a lot of her films I still haven't seen. She was asked in an interview if she would ever consider doing a big Hollywood movie, and she said something along the lines of, "Never say never, or you may end up eating your words, but I don't think so." That was before she did Oz and Venom...

There are a few movies she's in that I'm avoiding, but most of her filmography is pretty impressive. She was once asked in an interview if when nominated for an award there are any other actresses she feels she can act circles around. She said, "Meryl Streep."
Again to me it seemed like she could have shifted into blockbusters well before she actually did although personally I do think she's naturally better suited to more intimate drama. Not to be too harsh a criticism but I don't think she really has the charisma to her that someone like say Johansson or Portman do but she is just as good at selling subtle down to earth drama as they are, Wendy and Lucy especially is up there with the best examples of this I'v seen.

Not sure whether the Streep answer was serious but honestly I'd agree with it, she's basically gone the Pacino route of massively over acting, rather than "ho ha" though its "darrrrrrrling".