The MoFo Top 100 Movies of the 1930s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Update: I spent ALL day yesterday working on doing the movie list data. I had no idea that it would be this time consuming! I thought I could do that step in an hour...but oh no...that took 8 hours to get the list added up and in an order. You guys sure chose a lot of movies Next I have to number the movies 1 to 100 and look for and break ties among other stuff. I plan on starting the actual Countdown by next weekend.

That's why when I did the animation countdown, I entered ballots into the spreadsheet as they came in, rather than waiting until the deadline, and refused to allow anybody to edit their ballots (unless they made a genuine mistake like listing a movie twice, skipping a number, or voting for something that wasn't eligible). It made things much easier.

I did go back and do a hand count to check for entry errors though and that took some time. But yeah, list hosting is not an easy task.

If I ever run something like this I'll definitely write a script to tally the points for me in advance
Daniel M created a very useful Excel Spreadsheet that does the math for you. It was a lifesaver for me. But I did catch a couple of entry errors when I went back and did my hand count. Still a really good tool though.

Update: I have the list of 100 movies done, yeah! and I have the 1 pointers ready too. I just need to work up the graphics for the first two movies on the countdown, then I'll be ready to go.

Update: I have the list of 100 movies done, yeah! and I have the 1 pointers ready too. I just need to work up the graphics for the first two movies on the countdown, then I'll be ready to go.
Well done!
Still planning on starting this coming weekend or are you gonna delight us all a little earlier?

Well done!
Still planning on starting this coming weekend or are you gonna delight us all a little earlier?
I have work during the week, actually I got to be getting to it fairly soon. So on the weekend is it.

I have work during the week, actually I got to be getting to it fairly soon. So on the weekend is it.
Tha's kewl!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
pretty excited to see the list of films.
Helluva job, CR getting it all together!!

A little preview of the list, I sent mine to late so it's not calculated in the overall list. Here it is:

1. Grand Illusion (1937)
2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
3. The Lady Vanishes (1938)
4. Dodsworth (1936)
5. Gone with the Wind (1939)
6. Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)
7. Modern Times (1936)
8. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)
9. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
10. Fury (1936)
11. The Roaring Twenties (1939)
12. You Can't Take It with You (1938)
13. Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
14. It Happened One Night (1934)
15. M (1931)
16. Goodbye Mr Chips
17. The Thin Man (1934)
18. City Lights (1931)
19. The 39 Steps (1935)
20. The Women (1939)
21. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
22. The Rules of the Game (1939)
23. Trouble in Paradise (1932)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That's a very wonderful list and VERY happy to see Grand Illusion in the #1 slot. VERY nice!
Great bit of diversity in film genres as well.
Would have been a great addition to the Countdown. Thanks for sharing, @Pussy Galore!!