The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

I have to disagree, I predict it will come in at the middle of the pack. I predict another film will win, but I will wait to say just before the results are announced.
Middle? I seriously doubt it! I think it will place 1st or 2nd!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'd heard so many times about how it was one of the greatest films ever made. So I expected to be blown away. But high expatiation are a sure way to be disappointed, because I was.
You have no idea how many times I have had this experience. Not just with films but with TV shows, the theater, music, food, et.c. I will hear all of this praise about something and I really think that whatever it is that I am supposed to experience is going to be one the greatest experiences ever. And then afterwards I have a tendency to think "That's it?!" Basically, what was the big deal that everyone else was making out of it?

And that is why I try to go into everything with low expectations and negative opinions. That way, if it ends up not being that great, well, I was expecting that. And if it is better than I expected, it will be a pleasant surprise.

I didn't like the flash back scene in Paris this time around either. It slowed the film down and took the momentum that the film had generated and stalled it. We could have gotten what we needed to know about Rick's and Ilsa's Paris relationship through dialogue.
Yeah, I don't know. In a way, it seemed so out of place. I know I've watched a lot of movies (although I can't think of any at the moment) with scenes that I think are completely unnecessary. If the studio needed the film to be a certain length, I wish they would've come up with a different way to fill up that time. The scene was, in its way, pointless.

I have to disagree, I predict it will come in at the middle of the pack. I predict another film will win, but I will wait to say just before the results are announced.
I don't know if it will win, but I still think it is going to do pretty well. Higher than the middle. But we will soon find out.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Hiroshima Mon Amour

Sometimes, a little research, a little preliminary information really does wonders for viewing appreciation.

This movie is definitely one of those times. I did have a little trouble getting through this one. The dialogue had this kind of Beatnik/Jazz Poetry Night feel to it and there seemed to be more attention to the static scene then to propelling the story forward.

Almost near the end, it came to me.
Back in the day there was a local movie house that exclusively showed "art house" and independent movies only. At least once a week I'd stop in, earlier before the showtime because there would be a table filled with a variety of write ups about the film, the director and their vision. Much like going to an art exhibit and learning about the work/artist/themes and so forth.
After reading these I had always had the, for the lack of a better term, right set of mind to experience/enjoy the movie.

I paused.
Went back through reviews, read Camo's and his link to write up by Mark F. Very informative.

Went back and found a better appreciation for the remaining 15 mins of the movie.

For some films, insight is truly a wondrous thing.

I have Romper Stomper and U Turn to watch as well as writing reviews for the last 7 films I have seen.

I might have to wait until saturday to finish it all, is that a problem?

I have Romper Stomper and U Turn to watch as well as writing reviews for the last 7 films I have seen.

It's up to Cricket, but I'm OK with that, you're a good Hof member

No problem; it wasn't a lot of time to get everything done anyway. You've always come through.

I might finish tonight, I watched Romper Stomper (which, spoiler alert, I really didn't enjoy) last night and City of Lost Children this morning (which I enjoyed a lot).

Camo sent me a link for U-Turn a couple weeks ago so I'll probably be able to watch that tonight and then send a list!

She never responded to the Facebook message I sent her (it's not marked as read either), but she was only on it to discuss the Mofies, so I wasn't really expecting her to see it. I just felt like I should try, just in case.

All the lists are in with 11 movies making the cut. U Turn, The Man from Nowhere, and Sanshiro Sugata were disqualified.

Get your predictions in and we'll see you tomorrow!