The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
haha. Nah, i like that you nominate German films....
I agree, I like your German language noms. I always know if Cosmic is in an Hof, there will be at least one movie I love
It was like that with you and I too, CR, but then I nominated Amour... xD

It was like that with you and I too, CR, but then I nominated Amour... xD
I know...hopefully next time I will really like your nom

And thanks to some of your other noms, I found a new appreciation for Stanley Kubrick..and that's a very good thing.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The City of Lost Children

I know I have seen this before. I didn’t remember anything of the premise, but I remembered the visuals. There were scenes here and there that I vividly remembered.

Unfortunately, this was another one of the films that I watched when I was not feeling my best. Sci-fi and fantasy are not my absolute favorite genres (although my preference is by and large fantasy). I do really enjoy an awful lot from both, but I don’t eagerly begin watching either one. This film almost fits both categories for me. At first I didn’t know if it kind of wanted to be a steampunk sci-fi film or a children’s fantasy, but I think it is safe for me to say that it is a little bit of both.

Although I can’t say how much of a children’s film this was. There were parts of it that were too dark, or even too odd, that I don’t see this appealing to too many kids. Was it even meant for kids at all? Seriously. I don’t know. And I would be curious to hear the answer.

I can’t say that I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but I thought the acting was alright, and I really liked how the film looked. The sets, costumes and lighting were all pretty good. I suppose I just wasn’t in the right mood for this sort of film at that time. And I do apologize to Clazor for that.

It just feels like I should’ve been more of a fan, but not at this time. I think this is another one that will go on my list for a re-watch (again – that would then be the third time watching it, but I think I will remember it a lot better that time around).

Never Let Me Go

The only experiences that I have ever had with Kazuo Ishiguro was both the book and film versions of this story The Remains of the Day. And from what I read about this film, I could see it was going to be quite a bit different from that one.

I know I questioned early on that I didn’t understand the “creation” of these kids. And I guess it was OK that it wasn’t really explained in the film, but it just added to my questions while watching the movie. And I had a lot. I don’t know if I just missed bits and pieces of the story, or things just weren’t fully explained. Either way, it was OK. Those questions that I had weren’t that big of a deal that they gnawed at me. So I just accepted what I saw as it was.

I don’t mind Carey Mulligan. I am indifferent to Andrew Garfield. And I despise Keira Knightley (I just think she is so aggravating). But I thought all three of them were fine in this film. These are a group of people who know they are going to die. And while all death is inevitable, there is just something worse about the fact that the reason you know you are created to die in order to keep others alive just seems like such an unfair thing. And I think these actors each played their part well for how each one handled their fate.

This was a horribly depressing film (does Ishiguro only prefer to depress people with his stories?). It was good, but just a little too depressing for my taste at that particular time in life. I don’t know if I will ever watch this one again. I won’t say that I would never watch it again – it was good – I just have to be in a peppier mood to watch it so that I don’t feel as down as I did after watching it this time.

U Turn

I know I had to have seen this. Maybe I didn’t. But I thought I did. And I was not a fan of it.

There were parts of it that were OK. I liked the soundtrack. I liked Sean Penn and Joaquin Phoenix. To name those two as positive things about the film is kind of pointless because they are generally the highlight in any film that they are in for me. But that was about it.

I thought it was boring. I thought it really dragged on at times. It didn’t keep me into the story as it should have. I think it could’ve easily been at least 20 minutes shorter. And I couldn’t stomach Jennifer Lopez, and it is awfully hard for me to abide Claire Danes in anything.

I should’ve liked this movie. I should’ve. The idea of it all is my kind of movie, but this one really didn’t do it for me (with the exception of what I said above).

The vultures were pretty horrible. All I ever think about when I see them is the story of my great-grandmother swearing that the vultures used to circle the house for her when she was living in Arizona. She died not too terribly long after they started doing that above her house.

Anyway, this film was just a disappointment for me.

Casablanca

This was yet another one of my important watches when I was first getting into classic films because it was one that I had heard of. That was my first time watching it. I didn’t care for it. I then watched it a few years later just because I wanted to watch it again. I didn’t like it anymore that time either. The second viewing had to be about 20 years ago. And I decided I would probably never watch it again. And now I had to.

I respect films if they are considered “classics”. I do. But I just can’t make myself like them for that reason. I do question why some of the so-called classics are called classics, but they are and I never care to get into a debate over them because, truthfully, in the end, it isn’t that important to me to even care to get into it. If people want to praise something, go ahead. I just don’t care. My only questions always are how many people truly do like a film that is called a “classic”? And how many like these “classics” because they feel like they have to?

I am not a fan of this film. Just not. I love the look of the film (the cinematography is very good). I really enjoy Claude Rains. I think he is the best in it. And I have always liked the moment when he says that he is closing Rick’s place and he delivers the line “I'm shocked... shocked to find that gambling is going on in there”, followed by his perfect delivery of “Oh, thank you very much” when he is given his winnings. And I know there was talk about the moment when the Nazis stand up and sing and then the people stand up and sing to overpower them. Guess what? I think that is the absolute best moment in the film. Always did. I think it is a damn good moment in the movie. Speaking of songs, this films does have good songs in it.

But otherwise, I don’t care about the movie. I think it is kind of boring and it takes a little while for the story to pick up. I don’t care about Rick. I definitely don’t care about Ilsa. And I kind of don’t care for the two actors as a couple in the film. I remembered how I didn’t care for the flashback part of the film. I kind of find it to be just a waste of time. Everything that needed to be explained about the two of them gets explained. I didn’t care to see all of that. I think it would’ve been better just to have her go off with her husband, have Rick feel sorry for himself while drinking and then have her walk in again like she did. I really think I would’ve liked it better with that whole bit taken out of the film.

And then I do have an opinion on the “Here’s looking at you, kid” line. I think they could’ve only said it once in the film. I think the only time it does work for me is at the end, and I think it would’ve still worked as well at the end. I know it is a little something that is theirs and that is why it is said more than once, but I would’ve preferred it only at the end.

But you know what? Does it really matter how I feel? Does it matter if I nit-pick this thing? Not really. This film will do very well in this HoF. And it will always be considered a “classic”. People will always love it. So, in the end, I think it hardly matters what my opinion is.

I do think this is the last time that I ever watch it, though. Unless I get a gun held to my head (as the HoF’s can kind of feel like sometimes ), I don’t plan on it.

I don’t know if my opinion will satisfy @Swan, but at least I know there is someone else out there who feels somewhat like I do about the movie.

Midnight Run

Why did I choose this film?

Honestly, I had to come up with something because my time limit on the library computer was ending and it was the first film that came to my mind. I think it did so because I had been in the mood to re-watch it for some time now. I didn’t expect this to be a huge hit in this HoF, but I kind of knew who would/wouldn’t like it. And I have, for the most part, been right.

I don’t know who remembers this (and maybe it still happens – I have no idea), but in the late 80’s and 90’s, studios used to send out invitations to see previews of films. How both my mother and brother got onto the list, I have no idea, but they went to see a lot of films during that time. And Midnight Run was one of them. My mother came home with these tiny handcuffs with the name of the movie on them. She gave them to me, and I have no idea whatever happened to them. I had them for years. But so long ago they just seemed to disappear. I have no idea how that stuff happens.

Anyway, after hearing about it for so long, I probably finally saw it about 10 years after it was released. I thought it was one of the funniest movies I had seen in a long time. I loved it. And I still do. I think it is very entertaining. I love the pairing of Charles Grodin and Robert De Niro in this film. I think they are great together. I like the "buddy film" feeling that this one has. I like that this film never drags. It seems to go, go, go. It is also just a silly comedy for me. I have a tendency to really like those. And I think it all makes for a fun ride with this one.

Like I said, I didn’t expect this film to be one for everyone, because I already know it isn’t, but I still thought it would be something that made the HoF just a little lighter for something different in here.

And not that anyone cares, but I have to say it. I am so crazy about Robert De Niro in this movie that it shows I should probably be institutionalized. If there is any man that could top the list of favorites and knock the character of Han Solo, or the actor John Payne, down on the list, it is Robert De Niro in Midnight Run. That is what I am talking about right there! That is a man. He’s just delicious in there.

I didn't get a chance to watch Joe the other night, but it will definitely be done tonight. And I will post something on Tuesday (I have too much to do all day tomorrow that I may not even bother turning my computer on when I eventually get home), and I will send in my list then.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I really love these little snippets of yourself that are sprinkled amongst your reviews!

I agree "classics" should be, like any other movie, liked, loved, whatever, depending on the viewer's s level of involvement. There have been countless discussions about high expectations damaging the enjoyment of viewing something. So I do agree.
And Rains is my favorite and I mentioned that scene regarding his shock about gambling and collecting his winnings as well. It is THE scene for me.

Before reviewing them (probably after wednesday since I have an exam and a paper to give on that day) here's the note I'd give these films

Grand Budapest Hotel 8,8/10

Y tu Mama Tambien 8,3/10

Never let me Go 7,8/10

Midnight Run 7,8/10

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The City of Lost Children

I can’t say that I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but I thought the acting was alright, and I really liked how the film looked. The sets, costumes and lighting were all pretty good. I suppose I just wasn’t in the right mood for this sort of film at that time. And I do apologize to Clazor for that.

It just feels like I should’ve been more of a fan, but not at this time.
I think this is another one that will go on my list for a re-watch (again – that would then be the third time watching it, but I think I will remember it a lot better that time around).

Never apoligize for not being in the mood to watch a given movie. Neither should you feel forced to like or dislike something just because you usually like/dislike something similar. I'm just happy that you found something about it to your liking. If you at a later date realized that you liked it more, then that's just a bonus. Aside from Cricket, I didn't know how my pick would play among you, so to see that most of you liked something is a plus. There's nothing to apologize for.

Vamp knocks them out of the ball park! I always enjoy reading your reviews Vamp, and I agree with Ed too, I really like the personal antidotes that you include...I've said that before I believe.

Never Let Me Go

I don’t mind Carey Mulligan. I am indifferent to Andrew Garfield. And I despise Keira Knightley (I just think she is so aggravating). But I thought all three of them were fine in this film.
I can't stand Keira Knightely either, she has this really annoying personality. However in this movie her negative personality works. I just watched Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge, I didn't care for him in that I do like Carey Mulligan in this movie, and as far as I know I haven't seen her in anything else.

These are a group of people who know they are going to die. And while all death is inevitable, there is just something worse about the fact that the reason you know you are created to die in order to keep others alive...This was a horribly depressing film.

Hopefully it wasn't too depressing, but at least you got out of it, what I hoped people would...an emotionally somber experience, and perhaps a reflective one too.

To me the film is reflective on one's own life and how circumstances aren't fair and time is finite. I don't know why, but I found the feeling to be poignant.

Joe

Yes, thanks to cricket, I was able to watch this film and finish the HoF. I have never not finished one and I am not going to break my streak now.

I've heard of this movie, but I knew absolutely nothing about it.

My opinion about it when I first started to watch it was that it just seemed to be a typical low-budget late 60's/early 70's film. I didn't know how I was going to feel about it. Not saying films like that aren't good, but in order for them to be - for me - the actors have to sound like they aren't speaking in a monotone or like they are not reading from the script. And I kind of had an issue with some of the people in the beginning.

Then Peter Boyle came on and the film changed. I personally got a kick out of the stuff that he was spouting because he never shut up (and he certainly had an opinion about everything), and it instantly made his character become the most interesting one in the film. As it went on, I found his character to be more complex than I think some might find him to be. Sure he isn't a good person, but what made him like that? Was he brought up that way? Was it the war? If it was that, well, what happened during that time to make him this way? And what makes him so interesting to me is the contradiction that he is. While he seems to despise everything, he also wants to be a part of it.
WARNING: spoilers below
And while I understand that he went after the hippies because of what they did to them, but I almost feel as if he killed them because of what he, himself, did with them.

I know I am probably analyzing his character more than I should, but I can't seem to come up with another reason for why everything played out the way that it did.

By the way, I didn't even really realize what Compton did at the end.
I didn't think that looked like her. But I saw that it was her after I decided to go back and watch that part again.

I don't really know why Compton does what he does. I think it is because Joe has a little bit of a "hold" on him, but at the same time, I think it is because he, too, does feel the same as Joe does.
After all, if he really wanted to, he just could've killed Joe instead. The opportunity was there.

All-in-all, I thought it was a good movie, an interesting nomination and a decent way to end this HoF.

I can't stand Keira Knightely either, she has this really annoying personality. However in this movie her negative personality works.
Yeah, that is probably true. She probably wasn't having to try to hard with the acting job because she was just playing her negative, annoying self in it.

I am going to include The Man from Nowhere on my list when I send it in now, but I am not going to write anything about it unless I know for sure it is still going to be eligible. And I know it will be easy enough for cricket to just knock it off my list if that is what is going to have to be done.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
just the final one for me and then send in the list.
So, quick question, I kinda figured I shouldn't add Royale's Man From Nowhere to my voting, which would have been high, but should I or should I not place Topsy's U-Turn when I vote to keep things simpler for ya, cricket?

just the final one for me and then send in the list.
So, quick question, I kinda figured I shouldn't add Royale's Man From Nowhere to my voting, which would have been high, but should I or should I not place Topsy's U-Turn when I vote to keep things simpler for ya, cricket?
You can include whatever you like in your list. It won't be any problem to alter it.

@SilentVamp

Vamp, those are some interesting thoughts on Casablanca While I loved it, I actually agree with some of your points.

I do question why some of the so-called classics are called classics... My only questions always are how many people truly do like a film that is called a “classic”? And how many like these “classics” because they feel like they have to?
I think it works both ways. I think the more acclaim a film gets, the more it has to 'prove'. When I first watched Casablanca some 15 years ago I was just getting into classic movies. I'd heard so many times about how it was one of the greatest films ever made. So I expected to be blown away. But high expatiation are a sure way to be disappointed, because I was. My opinion was it was only OK.

However by the second time I watched it I was deeply into 30s-50s Hollywood films and had become a big fan of Bogart's. So on the second time around I was indeed blown away by it.

So flash forward to the 12th Hof, my third watch. I still really liked the film and thought it did a lot of things right, but I started to notice things that I wished had been done differently. As it would be, you mentioned the main one....

I remembered how I didn’t care for the flashback part of the film. I kind of find it to be just a waste of time. Everything that needed to be explained about the two of them gets explained. I didn’t care to see all of that. I think it would’ve been better just to have her go off with her husband, have Rick feel sorry for himself while drinking and then have her walk in again like she did. I really think I would’ve liked it better with that whole bit taken out of the film.
I didn't like the flash back scene in Paris this time around either. It slowed the film down and took the momentum that the film had generated and stalled it. We could have gotten what we needed to know about Rick's and Ilsa's Paris relationship through dialogue.

This film will do very well in this HoF. And it will always be considered a “classic”. People will always love it. So, in the end, I think it hardly matters what my opinion is.
I have to disagree, I predict it will come in at the middle of the pack. I predict another film will win, but I will wait to say just before the results are announced.