The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Barbara

Quite the endearing film.

I cannot say I was wonderfully surprised by this film - wait. . . Because I already was by Cosmic's 40's nom The Murderers Are Among Us so it was no surprise, just simply anticipation as I watched a movie with a similar, subtle beauty and an ending that was quite beautiful for a story that held a sad demeanor.
Much like the first nom I was quite wrapped up in the more deaden emotions being portrayed. Except of course, Dr. Reiner, who's inner warmth refused to diminish and tried desperately not to extinguish.
This movie was a somber sojourn that made that closing scene and that smile on her face; all the more beautiful.

While Barbara can be seen as stand offish, I saw beneath the protective shield to, for the lack of a better word without getting poetic - a prisoner keeping their head down, the better to attempt an escape.
I found her captivating from the get go. The shield she kept up, the moments of caring that she did not hide, her worry of being found out and the frustrations that come from it all.

Movies like this are rather special simply because I am not puzzling over possible conclusions and simply ride it out much like a sailboat over slightly turbulent waters. Eyes closed, until that bump announces the meeting of land and sea.

And with this movie, that land; the ending, was quite welcomed.

Once again, BRAVO Cosmic.

Leaving me with one final movie: Hiroshima Mon Amour

Great write-up, particularly the sailboat analogy.

I'm glad you liked it, especially going in with slightly raised expectations. I guess I'm going to have to think carefully about what I nominate for the next General HoF to avoid disappointment haha.

Great write-up, particularly the sailboat analogy.

I'm glad you liked it, especially going in with slightly raised expectations. I guess I'm going to have to think carefully about what I nominate for the next General HoF to avoid disappointment haha.
I read that as German HOF . Well i guess that's pretty much what it is for you haha.

I don't think a German HoF would be too popular. It would probably just be me haha.

3 out of the 4 films I've nominated in these HoFs have been German. Maybe I should nominate something incredibly well known and American in the next HoF. No one would expect it!

I don't think a German HoF would be too popular. It would probably just be me haha.

3 out of the 4 films I've nominated in these HoFs have been German. Maybe I should nominate something incredibly well known and American in the next HoF. No one would expect it!
haha. Nah, i like that you nominate German films. I always end up watching French, Japanese, etc, films over that and i don't know it as well as those so it's interesting. I'd actually have a few i could nominate for a German one, i'd rather do an overall Foreign Language one though which i don't think has been done yet.

My pleasure, Cosmic, thanks for nominating it!

I do like the idea of a Foreign Film HoF, would be pretty cool. Like Camo I usually watch French, some Spanish, Asian with Korean being on top recently, and in the last year or two I've gotten into Norwegian films. So checking out Cosmic's German films has been pretty cool. So expanding that would be a lot of fun.

Thanks Cricket, for me, I'm good.

That's very sweet of you to say.

You wouldn't be saying it if you were in the Animation HoF though.
The only reason i didn't was because it made me depressed that i hadn't seen it as a kid. As i said The Black Cauldron is still a favourite of mine mostly due to nostalgia, it's a heavily flawed film to say the least and if i first watched it as an adult i think i would've felt the same as i did about The Last Unicorn.

The Animation HOF was fun, even though so many of you nominated the wrong movies.

We should do another one sometime.
that sounds great, Vicky can host it, THAT WAY, when we PM our noms to her, she can simply PM back with: Wrong. Try Again.

But, seriously, another one WOULD be pretty awesome

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I would join that! There are tons of great German films. I keep thinking about nominating Mephisto for something but it's quite long, I'm not sure how popular a choice it would be.

I watched Midnight Run yesterday and rewatched Y tu Mama Tambien this morning, expect a review either later today or tomorrow.

I have a 8 page paper due en wednesday that I haven't started yet so I have to get on with that to xD

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I will watch Joe tonight.

Then the last half of my reviews will be posted within the next few days, and then I will be officially done.

Let the night air cool you off
Joe

I don't have a whole lot to say about it. Most of it was alright, and not poorly made. A few things kind of hindered the experience for me though. The two lead performances were not on the same level, and it was distracting. Peter Boyle was great and believable, but Dennis Patrick wasn't very good. I never believed his character. I also wasn't fond of the way the daughter found out what happened. It just seemed kind of lazy for them to start blabbering about what happened as soon as they walk in the door. The movie was decently made, but those things were bothering me by the end. I'm sorry I don't have much more to say.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

I would definitely join that one!!!

And, please don't do that! if I join these is precisely to watch things I've never heard of!!!