The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Sugata Sanshirô

I liked this one. It had a narrower focus than most Kurosawa movies, giving it a shorter runtime and a more simplistic story arc (which is postive in this case). Having our leading man running afoul on his search for a master is something I've never seen as far as I can remember. You'd think it'd be a common problem for a protagonist to have, but I can't say I've experienced that part of the story. We often see our hero search for a mentor, but we only ever see him set out, and then, after an undetermined amount of time, he's ready to give up and presto! The master he's ment to find appears beside him. To actually see him make a wrong choice tells us more about him and about his problem, which the new master deduces: He's unexperienced, reckless and unmature. He lacks wisdom and discepline, something made appearant when he starts a streetbrawl when someone delivers a slight. He's also stubborn, something that actually helps him as he gets booted out of his school, which he refuses to accept. From his stubborness comes a lesson in humility, something his master nurtures and builds on, creating a better man and a smarter, fiercer fighter.

Also, for some reason, he appears to have super-human strength, as he kills a man by throwing him into a wall that, at the very most, stands 2,5-3 meters away.

I was a bit confused as to the (some might say one-sided) emnity that arose between Sugata and Mr. Higaki. I never really quite understood where the rivalry stemed from, other than Higaki being denied access to Sugata for a fight. There might have been something about the ju-jitsu master's daughter, but if that was the case, I found it to be underdeveloped. In any case, their final showdown on the windy hillside was very nicely choregraphed and atmospheric. Kurosawa appearently was very lucky with the weather, as he was only allowed three additional days for on location shooting and the storm only arrived on the third day.

Finally, a word on the costuming. The influence western culture had on the japaneese seems to have taken hold during the time of the story, evident by the western style clothing worn by some of the cast. The mixing and matching of old and new was something I hadn't seen before though, and was skillfully done by, for example, Sugata's master. The combination of traditional japaneese attire with, as far as I'm able to destinguish, a Trilby/Fedora actually looks very good. I hereby dub him "best dressed" of the movie

A nice glimps into a prominent directors beginnings. Good nom, Nope!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Well this thread isn't really the place to answer that question, now is it?
now THAT is a perfect presidential response lol

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Joe

A dark, depressing story of how utterly screwed up a situation can become when it involves family and drugs.

A pleasant surprise seeing Susan Sarandon in an early role, but apart from reminding me of the young girl from Tokyo Godfathers the first time we see her during the opening credits, this is the only enjoyable part of the movie. Her interactions with Frank seem to hint at some happy moments (before he shoots up), but in the end she's been down this road too many times, pleading with him to lay off the heavier stuff as it apparently brings out the worst in him. After this it's only downhill.

Not to say that it's bad, far from it. I wouldn't know how to film a sunny version of this, but as it isn't ment to be, let's focus on what they actually did. Boyle delivers one of the best roles I've ever seen him do as the hateful, angry, guntoting loudmouth Joe. Quick to blame all that is wrong with his life and America in general on either the younger generation, the african-american population or the hippies. You feel like the only thing he craves is justification (even only to himself) to bring his fury to bare on someone. As a WWII soldier, he seems to have gotten a taste for killing and now simply seeks an outlet to do so again.

As for the only other major part in this movie, Patrick felt lifeless but for a few moments where he actually seemed to give enough of a **** to act the part of a distressed father and human being. Both in his encounter with Frank and in the final scene he acted and did it well, but in the rest of the film he seemed to run on only half-speed. Overall, it's Boyle's movie, and he's the only thing I think I'll remember from this.

Not my kind of movie, but for Boyle's role I'm glad to have seen it.

Good choice, Cricket

Counted everyone's reviews in Cricket's first post at least. This isn't counting your own nom (unless you've written it up then it is) or any you've decide not to rewach, also may have missed a few so correct me if i'm wrong:

Camo - Finished
Cosmic - Finished
JJ - 11/14
Ed - 11/14 (includes Sanshiro Sugata which he just posted)
Citizen - (has seen them all but hasn't sent his list yet unless Cricket hasn't updated it)
Miss Vicky - 13/14
Nope - 3/14
PussyGalore - 5/14 (Counted his response to me about his own nom which isn't in the review index)
Clazor - 9/14
SilentVamp - 6/14
Topsy - 9/14
Neiba - 6/14
RoyaleWitCheese - 7/14
Cricket - 12/14
I've said this before, but I like the movie count idea, hint-hint Raul...what I like is, it easily lets us know who's keeping up and who's falling behind. It also helps to encourage movie watching which can prevent dropouts.

The deadline is in 2 weeks on March 10th. Nope are you still in?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Counted everyone's reviews in Cricket's first post at least. This isn't counting your own nom (unless you've written it up then it is) or any you've decide not to rewach, also may have missed a few so correct me if i'm wrong:

Camo - Finished
Cosmic - Finished
JJ - 11/14
Ed - 11/14 (includes Sanshiro Sugata which he just posted)
Citizen - (has seen them all but hasn't sent his list yet unless Cricket hasn't updated it)
Miss Vicky - 13/14
Nope - 3/14
PussyGalore - 5/14 (Counted his response to me about his own nom which isn't in the review index)
Clazor - 9/14
SilentVamp - 6/14
Topsy - 9/14
Neiba - 6/14
RoyaleWitCheese - 7/14
Cricket - 12/14
I'm 11/14!

Soon, I'll post my thoughts on Joe that I watched yesterday and on the movies I've already seen and don't need rewatch!

Romper Stomper

I've seen this movie many times, including shortly after it first came out. It made my top 200 that I did a few years ago, but it had been about 10 years since my last watch and I wasn't sure if it was going to hold up. It was every bit as good as I remembered, and probably better.

I don't really have much to stay about the story. I've seen some folks compare this movie to American History X, but it actually made me think more of A Clockwork Orange for whatever reason. Crowe is obviously fantastic in the movie that launched him to stardom, and I was also impressed with the performance of the lead actress. Despite a fairly low budget, I think the movie is very well made, especially with how the action is filmed in being able to capture the brutality and excitement. With all the disturbing movies I watch, I thought this may feel a little more tame now. That wasn't the case at all and that suits my taste very well.

-

Just Withnail and I left for me.

I'm 11/14!

Soon, I'll post my thoughts on Joe that I watched yesterday and on the movies I've already seen and don't need rewatch!
Which ones are missing? These are the six in the first post; Y Tu Mama Tambien, Romper Stomper, Sanshiro Sugata, City of Lost Children, Never Let Me Go and U Turn.

Sanshiro Sugata (Akira Kurosawa, 1943)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/25/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 12th HOF, Nope1172's nomination
Rewatch: No

This is my fourth Kurosawa film. I generally find him to be a skilled director and quite enjoyed the other films I've seen - Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, and Rashomon - but I wasn't too enamored with this one. Some of the scenes were quite beautiful and I do have to wonder what was lost to the censors of the time, but other scenes bothered me - particularly some of the fight scenes were wrestlers are thrown. Don't get me wrong, I realize this was from the 40s and effects and stuntwork weren't what they are now, but some of these scenes felt jarringly unrealistic. I also wasn't really that invested in the story or in Sanshiro himself.

Still, the performances and cinematography were mostly strong and its brevity meant that I never really got bored.

-

For anyone who hasn't seen The Man From Nowhere or Sanshiro Sugata, hold off because they will most likely be ineligible.

If anyone could send a group pm to all the HoF members, it would be greatly appreciated!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
For anyone who hasn't seen The Man From Nowhere or Sanshiro Sugata, hold off because they will most likely be ineligible.
I was wondering if I should even bother with posting my thoughts about The Man From Nowhere. I guess I will hold off on that then.

What about Topsy's nomination? I know she's had problems with her computer and that could affect this HoF, too. Maybe I will hold off sending in my list until we are certain on everyone.

Why Sanshiro Sugata, is Nope too busy now with the Sci-Fi Countdown? Speaking of people being busy, has anyone seen Topsy around lately?

If no one else is doing it already, I can send a mass PM. What did you want it to say? Just a reminder about the deadline and that those films may be disqualified?

I was just assuming Topsy was still in because she watches them very quickly.

Yea Cosmic it would be great if you could do that to let people know to hold off on those two movies. I'd do it myself if I knew how.