The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Hopefully i don't get a power outage but yeah i really don't like Amelie either. There's plenty of films i don't like that i still understand why they are acclaimed and popular; really don't get it with Amelie though

I've never seen Amelie, but I would guess that some of it's appeal comes from the cover art. Even without Googling it, I remembered the cover and that it looks interesting to me.

But I wonder if I would like it?

I've never seen Amelie, but I would guess that some of it's appeal comes from the cover art. Even without Googling it, I remembered the cover and that it looks interesting to me.

But I wonder if I would like it?

I think you would like it, could be wrong though. I wasn't really talking about why any individual likes it; i mean it's not a bad film. I'm more confused at how it's so acclaimed and seems to be broadly popular. Alot of critics have it as one of the best of the 2000's and i don't know if it's just my experience but along with Oldboy, City of God and Pan's Labyrinth it seems to be one of a few foreign language 2000's films that a large amount of people have seen and liked. Would have thought it would be more obscure than it is basically, and don't really understand why it's not.

hahahaha. This Hall of Fame is the one place on the internet that doesn't like Amelie.
Daniel M hated it, too. I haven't seen it since I was 16 but I loved it at the time, it's the only movie to give me genuine shivers of happiness. So my first inclination is to deem you all soulless bastards.

Daniel M hated it, too.
There's a reason he keeps getting nominated as Smartest MoFo.

I loved it at the time... So my first inclination is to deem you all soulless bastards.
Fool.

Sean, Usual Suspect, Holden Pike and Sedai gave high ratings to Amelie in the Reviews...Like 5/5 to 4/5

Sedai liked it so much he reviewed it twice....ahh the perks of being a mod

Sean, Usual Suspect, Holden Pike and Sedai gave high ratings to Amelie in the Reviews...Like 5/5 to 4/5

Sedai liked it so much he reviewed it twice....ahh the perks of being a mod
Holden had it in his top ten of the 2000's list. I remember because i've read that list alot for recs. Those fools aren't in this cool Anti-Amelie HOF tho

Ya never know I do like the cover art.

I picked up Swiss Army Man yesterday at the library. I've heard that one is pretty far out there too. I'll review it when I watch it, maybe I'll like it.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Must have been close to 15 years since I saw Amelié, but I remember being somewhere between indifferent and somewhat amused. I was 10 at the time, so I might not have picked up everything. Might actually be time for a rewatch...but after the sci-fi 100, this hof and the uni/hammer hof.

Also, Miss Vicky, fun that you found something you liked with City of lost children. Too bad you don't think it worth a rewatch . Might not be neccesary for you, but for the rest of you, have it in mind for the Sci-fi top 100 (if you haven't sent in a list allready).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
haven't seen Amelia and continually remain on the fence about seeing it and after reading how everyone felt. . . here I sit, still. . . lol

and with City of Lost Children, it would have been a serious contender for my list for Sci-Fi, but, sadly, I was disgustingly early with submitting my list.

and with City of Lost Children, it would have been a serious contender for my list for Sci-Fi, but, sadly, I was disgustingly early with submitting my list.
You should've waited until the last minute, like some of us.

Well, I'm only close to the deadline because I've been rewatching a lot of old favourites to determine an order I know I'll be happy with. A couple of rewatches even knocked films off my list altogether, and I've watched a couple of films for the first time for it as well...though none of them ultimately ended up making the cut.

[center]Withnail & I (Robinson, 1987)

This was a rewatch, I first watched this film 2,3 years ago, it was a suggestion from a friend. I remember hating this film, not finding it funny nor meaningful. After the rewatch I'd say that my appreciation of the film didn't change, but I can see its merits, only, it's probably the movie that is the most opposite from my taste, I don't care for the characters, they actually annoy a lot, I still didn't laugh once, it was actually quite painful to watch. I rarely like movies about drug or alcool addiction simply because it's a subject that doesn't interest me, maybe because I just always disliked them, the effect they have on people and that I find that philosophy, introspection, meditation are better ways to cope with life's problem then to drink it up or to use any sort of drugs, this might affect the empathy I felt for the characters.

However, I can separate my personal appreciation of a film and it's general quality, I know that my personal vision of drugs or alcool is not pertinent to judge a films quality. I think it's a very good film, meaningful for a lot of people probably. I liked some of the editing, I liked the narration, it's a quality film. However, one I just can't enjoy because I hate the characters, the universe, the subject matter.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You should've waited until the last minute, like some of us.
Normally, that's EXACTLY what I do, I think this is the first time I sent one in within the first week or two lol

I was going to wait for the last minute to send in my Sci Fi list, then I chickened out! I thought for sure I could forget. I had to cut a lot of good films from my list, hopefully other people have them on theirs.