The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Ha, I thought that was a typo in his review Google here I come

Mise-en-scène (French pronunciation:[mizɑ̃sɛn] "placing on stage")...The way that Wes Anderson makes his movies.

Oh, now I get it!

It's basic film terminology 101. Get with it you guys.
JJ likes Wes Anderson so you know he is ahead of the curve with these knuckleheads.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great review, JJ!

For me, I am a detractor and Budapest is the grand exception. Always had trouble with previous Anderson films and some how, everything truly clicked for me with Budapest. The painting of the scenes, the comedic dialogue, everything.

Let the night air cool you off
great review, JJ!

For me, I am a detractor and Budapest is the grand exception. Always had trouble with previous Anderson films and some how, everything truly clicked for me with Budapest. The painting of the scenes, the comedic dialogue, everything.
That puts my write up on its ear.

Cosmic, are done watching the noms?
Yeah, a few days ago actually. I didn't rewatch Casablanca before I did my write-up on it, but that's a film I know really well anyway, and I had watched it again just a few months ago.

I actually meant to send my list the day after I finished watching the last film, but I couldn't make up my mind (particularly on the order for my #s 2-5). Then I forgot all about it.

Luckily the recent posts in the thread reminded me.

Damn that's pretty fast movie watching, there Cosmic I have 5 more to go including yours which I just picked up at the library. I need to post something about Grand Budapest Hotel....

Ed are you ready?

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

I think this movie is a very worthy HoF nomination. And while I don't love it, I do consider an artistic achievement.

Big kudos! to Ralph Fiennes portrayal of the well groomed, M.Gustave. A man with impeccable taste and civility who demands the best from those around him. This was a great character idea!

Likewise the new lobby boy, actor Tony Revolori had a quiet sincerity that worked well in this film. I read that this was his first movie. He was excellent.

The sets are beautiful! I wish I could visit The Grand Budapest Hotel. The rooms look so rich in their old world charm and class, elegantly decorated. And the colors of this film!...the pastel pinks, the lavenders, the powder blues, amazing feast for the eyes!

However for me, none of this was enough to hold my interest. After the first half hour, I became disinterested. I wasn't caught up in the story, nor did I care what happened to the characters. Perhaps it was the zaniest of both the story and the camera work that took me out of the movie. Ultimately I didn't care, and the film lost me.

What I really wanted from the movie was to be magically transported to the Grand Budapest hotel, and stay there for the length of the movie.

But as soon as they left the hotel, it just wasn't the same movie. And this is the complaint I had about Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson makes an amazing alternative world...but then in the latter parts of the film goes off on such wild tangents, that what I bought into the film is gone.

Wes...less is more.

This is a copy of my post from a couple months ago-

The City of Lost Children

In theory, the premise of this movie sounds really cool: a mad scientist type can't dream, so he abducts children and steals their dreams. The problem for me is simply that I don't like fantasy movies. I'll watch a trailer for a movie like this and want to give it a try, but when I watch one, it makes my insides groan. I used to love the Sinbad movies as a kid, but then I started hating movies I really wanted to see like Time Bandits and Brazil. In fact, City of Lost Children was very much like a foreign language Terry Gilliam film. I thought a lot of the visuals were really awesome, and I was surprised that my wife enjoyed it. She's a reader while I am not, and I guess she's more used to using her imagination. I thought this was a very good movie that I'd highly recommend for fans of fantasy. Sadly, that's not me.

This is sort of relevant to Wes Anderson but not really: I just got back from the theatre with my room mates, and in the washroom I stopped into on the way out, there was a young girl standing perfectly still in the middle of the bizarrely empty floor looking blank-eyed into one of the mirrors. The way she stood, and her clothes (and the pale colour of them) just screamed Wes Anderson to me for some reason. It was very surreal, and I honestly expected some quirky music to start playing over the speakers.