The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

The characters in this were more believable and life-like to me than the ones in Moonrise Kingdom, but the film still never managed to make me care about any of them.
My thoughts exactly.

The only one I actually liked was Willem Dafoe, partly because of his naturally menacing looking face and how perfect it was for this role, but also because I was secretly hoping he'd systematically and unsympathetically murder everyone else.

It won't happen because he's smart and cool just like his writing

Going to have to make a We Wes Club with Sean and you and MV won't be allowed actually you will but we'll be mean to you.

That's funny, I had the same reaction to Moonrise Kingdom

Moonrise Kingdom(Wes Anderson, 2012)
...Visually Wes Anderson is a genius. And the man has amazing ideas for stories his very creative and unique. But IMO he needs to stop writing his own films....

This thread has gone to hell. Camo is the only one allowed to vote. As punishment Wes Anderson will be writing ALL the movies.

I've seen them all. Him ranked IMO:

01.Fantastic Mr.Fox
02.Rushmore
03.Moonrise Kingdom
04.Bottle Rocket
05.The Royal Tenenbaums
06.The Grand Budapest Hotel
07.The Darjeeling Limited
08.The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

This thread has gone to hell. Camo is the only one allowed to vote. As punishment Wes Anderson will be writing ALL the movies.
Joe written by Wes Anderson Man, i'd love to see that.

Barbara (Christian Petzold, 2012)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/15/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 12th HOF, cosmicrunaway's nomination
Rewatch: No

I had some really mixed feelings on this one. It's beautifully shot, the acting was solid, and the basic story was interesting, but I struggled to get through it. Barbara's coldness - while understandable given the circumstances - was really off-putting to me and it took me a good long while to get to like her. And, while I also understand the quietness of the film, the pacing had me squirming and struggling to concentrate.

That said, I really liked Dr. Reiner. Even when he wasn't speaking, there was a definite warmth to him that I found very appealing and really liked the way he contrasted Barbara's manner. I also really liked the scenes between Barbara and Stella and loved the way the film ended, but it was a bit of a battle for me to get to that point.

+

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Y tu mamá también (Alfonso Cuarón, 2001)

This was on my watchlist for a long time and I knew pretty much what was it about but I wasn't expecting thiskind of depth!
I love the narrator parts, and how much sentiment brings to the movie, particularly with its future predictions. The perfomances were good, and the writing incredibly realistic, aswell as the style of shooting, deivering the whole message in a real powerful way!
I liked the movie but the last 5 minutes are simply stunning! We learn about Luisa's motivations just in the last few lines of the film and the fact that the two guys never saw each other again created a bigger impact in me than I would ever thought!
Something I'll rewatch someday!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Does every character in a movie need to serve a specific "utility"?

Besides adding some humor to the film and making Bobby's situation more stressful, Toby did serve the purpose of preventing Bobby from escaping to Mexico on the bus by eating his ticket (which Bobby had paid for using literally his last cent).
No, if they are interesting enough and TNT wasn't in my opinion. I loved the blind guy and he didn't have any praticall utility!
Bobby's situation was stressful enough and it wouldn't be less if TNT wasn't in the movie, that's what I said about Oliver Stone going too far.