Pink Floyd The Wall

→ in
Tools    

I just watched this movie and really don't know what to say. It was visually stunning, but I think I still need some time to digest it. I definately enjoyed it and am going to have nightmares about those kids, but I can't quite give you a review just yet.

I just thought I'd post this to see what everyone else thought.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Never seen it, but I want to.

Rock God
That movie kicks total ***. I am a huge floyd fan, and i can tell you right now that it is probably one of the most amazing movies visually and thematically i've ever seen. i mean, the wall is incredible. the concept of the album is amazing, the way it tells a story using lyrics, music patterns, soundbits, etc. and the movie stays true to all of that completely. plus gerald scarfe is incredible. the teaming of the creative minds of scarfe and roger waters is probably what makes that movie so inventive and still the best movie around as far as "rock" movies go. i'm not going to get into the symbolism and hidden meanings behind the lyrics and the visuals because i could be here all day, but let's just say that i honestly belive it rivals some of kubrick's films in terms of using symbolism to convey a specific story or idea. in fact, many have argued that it is one of the most deep, intellectual concept albums (not to mention the movie) ever created. i couldn't argue with that. of course, the story behind it is almost lost on those not familiar with the album. if you haven't heard the album, and do not quite understand what is going on, the movie will almost definitely confuse you. i think though, that if you're a floyd fan, or have an interest in human psychology and symbolism, you would have a hard time trying to find a better film. anyone who wishes to discuss this stuff, feel free to post. trust me, i could talk forever about floyd and this movie specifically.

YES!!! Floyd rules!! The way I see it the movie is about a man who has been pushed around his whole life and all the little things that have happened to him to build this so-called "wall" around his emotions. And then one day he just explodes and can't take it any more. The music just sets the perfect tone for the movie.

Rock God
what did you guys think of the deep symbolism in the movie? anything in particular you would like to discuss?

I'd just like to say that I liked the parts where Pink was beating on the wall and when it went crashing down. That showed his frustration of being so cut off by all of these horrible things that happened to him in life. Then he just went crazy and started his facist regime.

Rock God
yeah, the wall was symbolic of the emotional barriers people put around themselves to protect their weaknesses. pink has led a life filled with things that have hurt him emotionally (such as his mother's overprotectiveness, his father's death in the war, his horrible experiences with school, his wife cheating on him, drugs, etc.) so he builds this wall, and the song "is there anybody out there?" illustrates it. the wall is ONLY torn down after he has an imaginary confrontation with his psyche in the form of the trial. (the song "the trial") finally, the wall is torn down, but i find it interesting that no one offers any explanation as to what happens to pink after his bout with mental insanity. is he completely cured forever? does he never feel the need to protect himself again? is his addiction to heroin (that is implied throughout the movie and album) ever a major problem again? i would be interested in a sequel, but that's just impossible, since the entire thing sprung up out of roger waters' head, and he has had nothing to do with pink floyd since 1985. oh, well.

Rock God
ok, i'm bringing this up just in case anyone has anything else they want to post.

Perfectly said. For me it took about 3 viewings to get all of that, but yeah that is pretty much what I got out of it. How did you get the heroin thing? Is it from "Comfortably Numb" the line "my hands felt just like two balloons" or are there more?

That is THE most pretentious cd, and movie of all time. Oh my god, it's just a really long and really weird music video. The imagery sticks with you, and I got the basic idea of the thing, but I can't believe how self-important it is.

Rock God
yeah, one of the main plot points was pink's addiction to heroin. the lyrics to comfortably numb allude to it, and his behavior throughout most of his rock career shows his drug use, too. (one of the main contributors to his insanity). lyrics-

Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?
Come on, now.
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.
Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts,
Can you show me where it hurts?

here's some more. note the part about a "pinprick"

Ok.
Just a little pinprick.
There'll be no more ...Aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working. Good.
That'll keep you going for the show.
Come on it's time to go.

and of course, the chorus.....

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

definitely heroin. of course, there are a lot of interpretations out there, this is just the most common one. one of the things i always liked the most about the wall is the openness of the lyrics, so make what you will out of it.

by the way, steve - the wall is thought of by a lot of people to be pretentious. that's ok that you think that, but a lot of people appreciate story telling through rock music, and it's a pretty amazing thing. think of tommy or sgt. peppers. are they pretentious? personally, i think it's art, and if you think the movie is "a really long and weird music video" you just don't appreciate the artistic and symbolic aspects of it, and you're not really interested in a movie that makes you think a little. everything has a meaning, they're not just sticking stuff in there for the hell of it. as for it being "weird" i'd love to know what you think of Tool. um... or any rock group who dares to try new things artistically, really.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's just so funny because I know Steve, and... Those comments are just so darn funny.

Originally posted by BrodieMan
by the way, steve - the wall is thought of by a lot of people to be pretentious. that's ok that you think that, but a lot of people appreciate story telling through rock music, and it's a pretty amazing thing. think of tommy or sgt. peppers. are they pretentious? personally, i think it's art, and if you think the movie is "a really long and weird music video" you just don't appreciate the artistic and symbolic aspects of it, and you're not really interested in a movie that makes you think a little. everything has a meaning, they're not just sticking stuff in there for the hell of it. as for it being "weird" i'd love to know what you think of Tool. um... or any rock group who dares to try new things artistically, really.
I can appreciate the artistic aspects of the movie, as well as the symbolism, but I just don't see why it's so great. I enjoy the imagery very much, don't get me wrong about that, but I find it to be incredibly self indulgent. I don't see how it makes these incredibly deep, philosophical statements about the human psyche. Perhaps it's because I think Pink Floyd play silly, overrated rock. I'm not sure. What I do know is that any way you cut it, the movie is ambitious and visionary, two things that I will ALWAYS respect. Nevertheless, I think it's overrated swill. Everything may have a reason, and everything probably has all kinds of deep complexities. Unfortunately, I don't see them, and I highly doubt that anyone unfamiliar with the music does.

Oh, and I love Tool.

This is a movieforum not a musicforum so don't knock The Floyd. On a side note Dark Side of the Moon is the best record ever.

Rock God
if you love tool, you shouldn't deny that one of the most fascinating things about them is the way that they create stories, deeper meanings, etc. through music, videos, and other acts of artistry. floyd is doing the same thing, so it should be easy to appreciate it in either form, right?
just out of curiosity, do you think tool videos are "weird"?

Here is my two cents:
This is the best record that has ever been produced. It exceeds the boundaries of a record and pulls you into a story. Roger Waters is a genius unparalleled. The way he ties his own life into the story of pink is beyond words. Personally I can live with or without the video though. Bob Geldof thouroughly gets on my nerves and always has. I was listening to this last nite and discovered this thread this am. I love the trial:

Good morning Worm your honor
The crown will plainly show the prisoner
who now stands before you
was caught red handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature
This will not do...

Rock God
definitely roger waters is a creative genius. i would put him next to pete townshend as far as ability to create a story using music goes. i still say this movie is underrated. it's just so incredible. one of my favorite things is the bizarre style of animation that's used. they geniunely make the inside of pink's psyche a horrifying thing to behold. the effects of war are graphically portrayed in his imagination, and his sexual frustration (partly from feeling rejected by his wife) are shown in such a way that it makes you think, and grabs you without deliberately saying "here's how he feels". i just think that's very creative and admirable, if nothing else. a while ago i ran into one of the most interesting articles i've ever seen online. i just started reading it and couldn't take my eyes off it, i literally sat for a couple hours reading and rereading the entire thing. here's a link, i hope you like it. i didn't write it, but i wish i had. feel free to comment on anything you find at this website, i would love to start a really good floyd discussion on this thread.

http://members.surfsouth.com/~breezy/

I think I'm going to watch it again. Ive only watched it 2x and i feel a need to see it again, then I'll add some more stuff.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I liked Pink Floyd's brilliant album beforehand, and I liked this film as well. It's very weird, but an almost perfect use of music as telling a story, and I like how the lesser known songs from the album (The Trial, Empty Spaces especially) are used more intrirately used than the more popular songs (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2, Comfortably Numb). The weirdest thing about it, for me at least, was the casting of Bob Geldof, and that whole Nazi allusion near the end.

Is white trash beautiful
Ive never seen The Wall but Im a Huge Pink Floyd fan and Im gonna watch soon here but Im going to see Roger Waters live in May I am pretty excited.