Oscar's Best Supporting Actor 2020

Tools    

Your vote for Best Supporting Actor goes to...?
13.64%
3 votes
Tom Hanks, A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
4.55%
1 votes
Anthony Hopkins, THE TWO POPES
4.55%
1 votes
Al Pacino, THE IRISHMAN
22.73%
5 votes
Joe Pesci, THE IRISHMAN
54.55%
12 votes
Brad Pitt, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
22 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five Best Supporting Actor nominees are...

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
Al Pacino, The Irishman
Joe Pesci, The Irishman
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's a lock
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Only seen & hated The Irishman so cannot poll.

⬆️ Could if one had time. Trying to post as much as I can today in the time I have.

No one was better than Anthony Hopkins. But The Two Popes was not a popular movie.
I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

The trick is not minding
I probably won't see the Mr. Rogers movie, but I assumed that Hanks was the lead actor?
He was actually the supporting actor, from what I have read. So the nomination is correct in this regard

I loved Hollywood and didn't think much of the Irishman, but I really think Pacino was the best here

Got one to go(common in most of these threads)

1. Brad Pitt
2. Joe Pesci
3. Tom Hanks
4. Al Pacino

Pitt's performance was in my eyes a throwback to Cary Grant, a performance of charm and wit and really carried the film.

2nd pick would be Pesci who gave a nuanced and different style of Scorsese gangster, he's sort of what Tony Soprano was supposed to be as a boss in Sopranos.

3rd pick would be Tom Hanks, I'm loving his late career turns as Walt Disney, Sully and now Mr Rodgers. I would have liked it more if he would have captured Fred's faults but still if he wins great.

4th would Al Pacino, I actually perfer Ray Ramono's quieter performance in Irishman to Pacino's showy one.

Ugh! Its a toss up between the two Italians for me! I voted Pesci. but Pitt is also very close.

Yet to see Hopkins performance. Really love Pitt, and he had a fantastic year. Disappointed in no Oscar love for Astra. I vote for Pesci because it has been way too long since he graced us and this was such a different Scorsese character for him. Definitely the highlight of a very good movie for me.

Yet to see Hopkins performance. Really love Pitt, and he had a fantastic year. Disappointed in no Oscar love for Astra. I vote for Pesci because it has been way too long since he graced us and this was such a different Scorsese character for him. Definitely the highlight of a very good movie for me.
I love Joe. And I loved him in Irishman. Unlike his previous Scorsese mob film characters that were rambunctious and hysterical (that part went more to the equally brilliant Al Pacino this time around as Jimmy Hoffa), his part in Irishman was quiet and subtle but had a commanding presence. The part where his character is confronted and embarrassed by Joe Gallo (played by Sebastian Maniscalco) in the club and then he gives Frank Sheeran (played by Deniro) the look, you knew exactly how he felt and what he wanted without a single word being spoken. His nomination was definitely worthy. I would have said the Oscar is his had it not been for Brad Pitt's turn in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as the laid back badass stunt double Cliff Booth.

I love Joe. And I loved him in Irishman. Unlike his previous Scorsese mob film characters that were rambunctious and hysterical (that part went more to the equally brilliant Al Pacino this time around as Jimmy Hoffa), his part in Irishman was quiet and subtle but had a commanding presence. The part where his character is confronted and embarrassed by Joe Gallo (played by Sebastian Maniscalco) in the club and then he gives Frank Sheeran (played by Deniro) the look, you knew exactly how he felt and what he wanted without a single word being spoken. His nomination was definitely worthy. I would have said the Oscar is his had it not been for Brad Pitt's turn in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as the laid back badass stunt double Cliff Booth.

I agree with everything you've said here...Pesci was so beautifully understated in this movie, unlike any performance he has ever given. I was shocked when Pitt won the Golden Globe, I really thought Pesci had it in the bag and despite Pitt winning the Globe, Pesci is still my choice for the Oscar. i have to wonder though if the fact that Pesci already has an Oscar and Pitt has never woh will factor into it.