Crying in movies

Tools    

MovieForums Extra

Ok ok, I know guys aren't supposed to cry at movies, and you'd probably be hard-pressed to find one to admit to this *impossibility* (at least from our point of view ), but honestly, which movies made you wanna just burst out and cry (or if you want to be a bit more corageous, which movies DID make you cry )??
I personally don't find myself getting too emotionally attached to movies unless it's something really deep, but I remember one of the rare times that I DID cry as a child...when I was watching a King Kong movie, I don't remember what it was called, but in the end when the Gorilla gets all shot up and he's dying, and the big female gorilla shows him his son...At the end of the movie I ran out of the living room, bumped into (or rather threw myself into my cousin who was staying over), accused her of hurting me and started crying Of course she saw right through me, which was adding insult to injury!!

By the way, for some reason, I didn't cry when I saw the end of ET, it was kinda sad but nothing too drastical

The ending of Field of Dreams where Costner has the catch with his Dad always chokes me up.

I know there are others that I get choked up watching, but I can't think of them right now. I'm a pretty emotional guy, though.

Forrest Gump, when his girlfriend dies.

Superman, when Lois dies, and Superman II, when he has given up his powers and then has to go back to his base in the North Pole (sort of cry - part nostalgia, part real-life, as Christopher Reeve / Superman was my hero when I was growing up and it's so sad to think of Superman in a wheelchair).

Originally posted by Zephyrus

Ok ok, I know guys aren't supposed to cry at movies
Are there ANY other females around here? I think I'm a rare species.

I almost never cry at movies either, tearing up at every romantic comedy is silly to me. But I can remember three times pretty clearly:

Apollo 13 -- They didn't get to go to the moon. Sure, they were safe but the moon!

Immortal Beloved -- When we finally figure out who Ludvig's Immortal Beloved is. It's such a bittersweet moment.

Seven -- I know, that one's kind of weird, but the part where the man is being questioned after the "lust sin." I think that scene would be harder for a woman to watch for a man anyway but it was a pretty intense movie.

MovieForums Extra
I just remembered some other instances:

Titanic, I got choked up watching the end, though not because Leonardo DiCaprio died, but because of the way the actual human tragedy of the sinking was portrayed.

The Green Mile, I think the ending was a bit too much for me, I probably would have started to cry if I wasn't with a friend!

Some movie with Kevin Costner, I'm not sure what it's called, when he kidnaps some little kid...the ending was pretty sad

By the way crash, I gotta admit I didn't know that you were female Nothing personal, it's just that crash sounds like the kind of name a guy would choose!

Alright, here's my list. Listen up, because I won't be spreading this around a whole lot.

- Titanic, when the ship is going down and the band starts to play. I didn't like the movie, but that part gets me.

- The Patriot, in various scenes, for obvious reasons. I have an amazing amount of respect for those people.

- Braveheart - I consider William Wallace one of the bravest men who ever lived. When he screams "Freedom" at the end, I totally lose it.

- Saving Private Ryan, at the end, when the old man says "Tell me I've lived a good life..."

That's all that comes to mind.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Titanic may have squeezed a tear out of me. I do remember getting chocked up towards the end. Must of been dusty in that theater.
[Edited by OG- on 01-04-2001]

This insight into the male mind is fascinating. More, more.

E.T. when he was grey and dead looking I laughed but then I cried when I thought he was dying and again at the flower part.

Central Station, this little boy's mom gets hit by a bus and he goes on a journey to find his father. The story's better than that but I don't want to spoil it.

Ponette? It's a French film about a little girl whose mom dies. I cried 3 times during that movie. :bawl:

The thing with Kevin Costner playing catch made me teary too. I think the kidnap one was called Perfect World or something like that. Perfect something. I din't cry.

The big female gorilla? What the??

Didn't see it.
I don't usually start bawling at movies, but I'll tear up at bunches of them. I think a really great movie will evoke really strong emotions.

I cry when I'm unable to lift. I'm an over-emotional MuscleHead.

I've been semi-close to crying in The Green Mile.

MovieForums Extra

I don't know, I can't really remember the details of the movie, but I'm sure there was a BIG female gorilla, and that she shows King Kong (or if you like the BIG male gorilla ) his son just as he is dying...and he holds his son's hand and looks at him...aawww you guys wanna make me cry again

Hey PooPoo - what style do you lift? Dinosaur, HIT, Garage, Bulk and power, powerlift, bodybuilding, Olympic? I hang out at the Garage Gym a little and lurk at Bulk and Power. Regularly check out http://www.cyberpump.com too.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
lol crash, yes, this is good insight. i'm a female, too. i've been around here a while though, there've been lots of posts where the guys have admited their uh ... sentimental sides.

i agree with the immortal beloved one ... i never cried on any of the others though i may have teared up SLIGHTLY at the end of titanic, at the injustice of kate winslet being without her man and taking his last name ...

i tend to cry more (though, ahem, i don't cry a LOT) at the haunting/bittersweet movies that have really incredible, passionate stories with a lot of pain, angst, and suffering. which are usually not American ... usually foreign films.

Ollie...
I'm a little bit of a "bulk and power guy" and a "bodybuilder guy." Well I want to compete in bodybuilding eventually...I'm just not ready for it yet.
I'm checking out that site right now too! Looks interesting....thanks bro.

I cried while watching The Green Mile. Magnolia while Tom's character father died. Jerry Maguire too.

Never seek the wind in the field - it is useless to try and find what is gone - "Kane & Abel by Jeffery Archer"

Ok...let's see hehe

-E.T. when he's sick.
-The Big Blue when Enzo dies (slightly).
-Any Star Wars...those movies are darn too good!
-Top Gun when Goose died and Maverick is grieving.

There are other "slight" moments but I usually have goosebumps or joy/sadness in the movies that I feel are great.

Cheers!

MovieForums Extra

Yeah, goosebumps is another factor by which I tend to judge movies...like for example, watching Saving Private Ryan I should have gotten all teary-eyed and sad and everything, but that just didn't happen for me, I just found myself remotely distanced from the characters...great special effects, nothing much else going for it though.

Another one recently...

[red]SPOILERS BELOW...[/red]

I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon recently - on the 13th. I enjoyed it, no problem there. Just saw it again yesterday (the 20th)...and for some reason, Li dying at the end got to me a bit. I didn't cry or anything, just bugged me more than before.

Great movie, though.