How is The English Patient?

→ in
Tools    

"Nothing is written."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Guy
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
"He likes your lemonade."

We could go on forever!
"My mother mated with a scorpion"

"Yours?"
"His. I gave it to him."
"His?"
"Mine."
"Then I will drink from it."

I think that's pretty close.

"It was my privelege to know him, and to make him known to the world. He was a poet, a scholar and a mighty warrior....He was also the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum & Bailey."

"I carry twenty-three great wounds, all got in battle. Seventy-five men have I killed with my own hands in battle. I scatter, I burn my enemies' tents. I take away their flocks and herds. The Turks pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor. Because I am a river to my people!"

Guy
"My mother mated with a scorpion."

If I've read the book before watching the film, will I like it more or less?

I ain't read the book before but i've watched the film, and it's ridiculously overrated. It's probably the best definition of an overrated film. I couldn't stand it. I can't even say it's worth watching. It's just...empty. Avoid it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well, this thread is old. But true. Couldn't agree more with Holden's comments on this joke of an Oscar winning film. Shallow, empty and unpleasant. But you should see it, just to be ble to say it didn't deserve it. Secrets and Lies was robbed.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well maybe it's empty because you...you have an empty space where your heart should be....yeah, how 'bout that...?
Or maybe it's because there are no sympathetic characters in the film. Or because (spoilers) it's so obvious that they are all going to die that it doesn't allow you to form any sympathy for them (this is a similar problem to the one I have with horror movies). This film did not touch my heart at all, I have to say. As love stories go, it's no Brokeback Mountain, for example. You want Ralph Fiennes having an afair with a married woman which all ends tragically? Watch The End of the Affair instead. :\

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of course it has Ralph Fiennes.

I realize this is an old thread, and I haven't watched the film in years, but I like The English Patient. It's exotic and different enough to hold one's attention. It's got flying scenes, and my wife and I are suckers for airplanes. It's also ultimately very romantic. Plus, Kristin Scott Thomas gets naked. There's enough mystery and intrigue going on in the film to make it worth watching. I realize that it's fallen out of favor along with several other Oscar winners, and I also think it didn't deserve nine Oscars, but outside of Fargo, I don't think it had much competition for Best Picture.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Well maybe it's empty because you...you have an empty space where your heart should be....yeah, how 'bout that...?
this coming from someone who doesn't like My Neighbor Totoro!!!!