Saint Patrick's Day

Tools    

So Ireland's national holiday is upon us. Just wondering how many of ye (those of Irish decent, and those who wish they were) are planning to spend this day celebrating this ill-informed and somewhat ignorantly stereotypical depiction of a holiday?

I myself will probably go into the city to see the local parade. Doubt i will go drinking because financially i am a bit screwed.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'm going fishing tommorow, does that count?

If I can get off from work, I normally celebrate St. Paddy's... N'awlins started celebrating St. Paddy's last week... or maybe they never stopped from last year... who knows with this place...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

You ready? You look ready.
Yes, I will be drinking...if that's what you're asking, of course.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

When I was growing up, my mom used to make corned beef, cabbage and boiled potatoes.
It was pretty good.
I don't do anything special for St. Patrick's Day anymore.
I do have a shamrock tattoo though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
St Patrick's Day (along with New Year's Eve) has long been a day for people who never usually go to bars over here to get full. Consequentially it's generally Hell on earth by about 9pm, but what can ye do, eh?

One of the best St P's nights I've spent, funnily enough, was in a Loyalist bar over here, the sort of place where wearing a Celtic shirt would usually get you a kicking. St Patrick used to be about more than that (Ian Paisley is a big fan!) but this place is still so riven with division that there's always some bird-brain trying to make a political point, and always another bird-brain rising to the bait.

I'm just cynical because I live in the North.

Edit - Argh. This probably isn't the place to post this but it just came on the radio when I was typing. Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, has suffered serious head injuries in a skiing accident.

Edit - Argh. This probably isn't the place to post this but it just came on the radio when I was typing. Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, has suffered serious head injuries in a skiing accident.
That's awful. Mariska Hargitay recently suffered serious injuries doing the same thing. She punctured her lung, and then she left the hospital too soon, and is now back in again.

So many good movies, so little time.
I'll watch The Quiet Man, like I always do.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll watch The Quiet Man, like I always do.
I see that the bar from the film (which was actually a general store, there was a real bar across the street and the owners were pretty irked that they weren't chosen to be in the film) has recently been converted into a real one.

I'm not wearing green because I wanna be pinched, but I did wear my green jacket that makes me look like a turtle.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I've been celebrating since Sunday, in between going to work, a concert and Sarah's softball games. I think I need to catch up some tonight. Have fun everybody but keep safe.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Have you tried one of those "Kiss Me I'm Irish" shirts instead...
Kisses are nice, but I'm in a more sadomasochistic mood today and want to feel pinch pain. Besides, I'm not certain if there's any Irish in me... hopefully, that'll change later.