LIMITED SERIES & MINI-SERIES

Tools    

im still waiting for love and death trailer that stars my 2 favourites elizabeth olsen and lily rabe . im excited for the essex seperant that stars my other 2 favourites tom hiddleston 😍😍 and claire danes

Very good limited series of 2 seasons. Rosamund Pike, Chris O’Dowd, Brendan Gleason, Patricia Clarkson play the 2 couples. In all, 20 episodes that are only 10 minutes each.

Any of my fellow Brits seen this on Apple/Sundance?

Borgen returns for a 4th season after 9 years away. Wasn’t sure about whether to watch this on Netflix as it’s been away so long, but it was well worth it. Really enjoyed it. Danes are terrific actors.

This is a terrific limited series. James Garfield is great in it, but, really, the entire cast is incredible.

I give it 10 out of 10.

This is a terrific limited series. James Garfield is great in it, but, really, the entire cast is incredible.
I didn't quite make it through the first episode, not because it was bad, but because it was stressing me out! I have it on my Hulu watchlist for a time when I can watch a few episodes in a row and get in a groove with it.

I think Andrew Garfield is doing some interesting stuff of late.

I didn't quite make it through the first episode, not because it was bad, but because it was stressing me out! I have it on my Hulu watchlist for a time when I can watch a few episodes in a row and get in a groove with it.

I think Andrew Garfield is doing some interesting stuff of late.
Garfield recently said he’s taking a break from acting.

I barely made it through the pilot & wanted to bail out at least 3 times from the entire show. It did bog down in the weeds a few times & it could be shorter. But, I persevered & I think it got better as it went along. Garfield definitely kept the whole thing going.

What impressed me so much is actors who had hardly a thing to do early on & who developed into a major role as the show progressed.

Almost bailed out of the pilot. Glad I didn’t. Enjoyed it very much & wish there were more since there’s loads of material here.

The fact it's by the same people as Normal People was enough to put me off.
I bailed out of Normal People.

I stayed the course and what a load of whiney, emotional masturbation it was. Very well made and acted, but not for me. I kept waiting the whatever it was to happen.

Loving this 10-parter. Gleason & Carell both excellent. One episode each week on Hulu.

@Stirchley - binged the three episodes that are on Hulu and can't wait for the next. Great rec

@Stirchley - binged the three episodes that are on Hulu and can't wait for the next. Great rec
Same.
WARNING: spoilers below
I want to know what happened to Sam’s wife. And how many people has he actually killed?

Finished this show. So very excellent. Spoilers abound so beware if you start this series. It would ruin it for you.

This limited series is good on AppleTV. IIRC, @xSookieStackhouse likes Tom Hiddleston very much.

Clare Danes made the series for me. Loved her wigs & costumes too.

8-part series. Loads of cliffhangers at the end, but I don’t think a second season is in the works.

Unusual storyline - quite original - & the two leads are excellent. The entire cast is very good too.

Excellent limited series on AppleTV. Based on the true story of the flooded Memorial Hospital in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

Excellent limited series on AppleTV. Based on the true story of the flooded Memorial Hospital in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.
I have read about some of the stories from this, so I need to find a way to watch this...(outside of Apple TV haha)

I have read about some of the stories from this, so I need to find a way to watch this...(outside of Apple TV haha)
Loads of good stuff on AppleTV.

The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco, 2018

Jean (Julie Graham) and Millie (Rachael Stirling) are a decade out of their work as code-breakers during WW2. When they realize that the murder of one of their colleagues during the war seems to be connected to a series of murders in America, they head to San Francisco. There they meet Iris (Crystal Balint) and Hailey (Chanelle Peloso), kindred spirits who help them to investigate the murders and other crimes.

I was a fan of the first season of The Bletchley Circle back when it came out in 2012. I really enjoy codebreaking, mystery-type stuff. Like, give me a scene of people poring over bus schedules to connect them to murder sites any day.

Unfortunately, the four mysteries (each taking part over two 45-minute episodes) here are really not very well written. One of them has a conclusion that is so far-fetched it made me feel a kind of contempt for the writing. The others aren't as bad, but they often depend on way too much coincidence.

The stories also don't do a great job of developing the characters themselves. The one that maybe comes closest is an episode involving gay men being attacked, which forces the character of Hailey to grapple with her own sexuality and the pressure---including from her friends---to keep it concealed. But even this storyline feels only partly developed. This episode does feature some of the more fun code stuff---involving different ciphers and newspaper ads--but it just doesn't click.

The acting is okay, but the writing is overly broad and it sometimes has that feeling of actors having to fight against their lines to make the dialogue feel at all natural. Some of the actors really grapple with doing American accents, and there are a few actors who end up doing that British thing where they somehow manage to have a Texas accent and a New York accent at the same time.

Okay, but not more than okay.