Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Coco (probably won't make my ballot either, but it's a good animated film)
Phantom Thread (this one might make my ballot; it's very good)
You Were Never Really Here (this will probably make my ballot; it's a truly powerful thriller)
A Ghost Story (this made my ballot last time and will surely do so this time as well; here's hoping it makes the countdown)
I've seen these. One will definitely make my ballot, one I like but am not likely to vote for, and the other two have absolutely no chance of making my ballot.

I've seen 7 of these. One of them is guaranteed to make my ballot. I hope at least 3 or 4 of them make the countdown.
I've seen these. One will definitely make my ballot, one I like but am not likely to vote for, and the other two have absolutely no chance of making my ballot.
I'm guessing the film which will make both of your ballots is Get Out and You Were Never Really Here, respectively.

Ok, so here are my "left field" recommendations for 2018...

Aniara - Everybody that has read me here has probably read me mention this film, so there it is. An interesting scifi drama with a unique atmosphere and a very bleak story.

Thunder Road - Takoma will probably mention this, if she hasn't already, but I thought this was really good. Well acted and written with a unique tone.

Sorry to Bother You - Perhaps not as "left field" as the rest, but still one I want to mention. It is a bizarre and unique story that teeters between drama, comedy, scifi, fantasy, and absurdism. Lakeith Stanfield, as usual, is great as the lead.

Rafiki - Kenyan film about a young woman struggling with the conservatives view of the country, as she starts a relationship with the daughter of a political rival of her father. It's not perfect, but it has a lot of heart and the relationship feels real.

The Perfection - One of those that it's best seen without knowing too much. Anyway, it follows a young music prodigy that is forced to leave music school to care for her ill mother. After her mother's death, she tries to return to school, but faces some weird occurrences as she befriends the student that replaced her. Walk in blind, if possible.

Summer of 84 - A film that is dipped in 80s nostalgia, from it being set in 1984, to how the plot unfolds. It follows a group of four friends that suspect one of their neighbors is a serial killer. Far from perfect, but I thought it was a nice homage to similar films of the 80s. I also appreciated how it went from being something light and "fun" to something a bit darker.

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - Not as good as I expected, based on stuff I read, but still a somewhat decent found footage film. It follows the young crew of a YouTube horror channel that decides to explore the titular building, only to find themselves subject to all kinds of visions and appearances.

Thunder Road - Takoma will probably mention this, if she hasn't already, but I thought this was really good. Well acted and written with a unique tone.

Sorry to Bother You - Perhaps not as "left field" as the rest, but still one I want to mention. It is a bizarre and unique story that teeters between drama, comedy, scifi, fantasy, and absurdism. Lakeith Stanfield, as usual, is great as the lead.
I will second those recommendations. Both are fantastic and would be worthy additions to the countdown.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I want to recommend What Maisie Knew (2012). I watched it today and thought it was wonderful. The film is beautiful, well written and has good performances from the cast. The adorable Onata Aprile is fantastic and carries the film on her cute little shoulders.

Aniara - Everybody that has read me here has probably read me mention this film, so there it is. An interesting scifi drama with a unique atmosphere and a very bleak story.

I've seen these three. Might have room for Sorry to Bother You on my ballot.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I want to recommend What Maisie Knew (2012). I watched it today and thought it was wonderful. The film is beautiful, well written and has good performances from the cast. The adorable Onata Aprile is fantastic and carries the film on her cute little shoulders.
Yep!

More of my "left field" recommendations, now for 2012...

What Maisie Knew - A touching drama about a young child being pushed and pulled between her quarreling parents. I liked how the film tried to put the audience in the perspective of the child, instead of trying to explain the parents' sides.

I'm guessing the film which will make both of your ballots is Get Out and You Were Never Really Here, respectively.
Of course.

On that note, Joaquin Phoenix was pretty busy in the 2010s:

I'm Still Here
The Master
The Immigrant
Her
Inherent Vice
Irrational Man
You Were Never Really Here
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot
Mary Magdalene
The Sisters Brothers
Lou
Joker

I'm not personally a fan of The Master, but I know it's pretty popular around here. I didn't care for Lou and I hated Mary Magdalene. I go back on forth on how I feel about I'm Still Here.

The rest are good to great.

The Master
Her
You Were Never Really Here
Joker
I've seen those. You Were Never Really Here will likely make my ballot as well, but I'm not sure about the other three.

I've seen those. You Were Never Really Here will likely make my ballot as well, but I'm not sure about the other three.
Her and Joker are both locks for me. The Master is a no, but the other PTA movie on that list is a maybe.

My final "left field" recommendations for 2019...

Luce - A white family that adopted a child from a war-torn African country has to deal with allegations that their now teenage son might not be who they think he is. Not sure why this film isn't mentioned more often. I thought it was superbly acted, well written, and thought-provoking.

Crawl - Simple, but effective. Nothing groundbreaking here, but it does what it does well enough.

I Lost My Body - French animated film about a severed hand trying to make its way back to its young "owner". Neatly animated with a unique premise.

The Wolf's Call - French submarine thriller about a group of sailors in two separate submarines in the middle of an alleged conflict. It handles a trope that we've seen before where one of the nuclear submarines receive an instruction to launch an attack while the other wants to challenge it. Been done before, but this one handles it fairly well with solid tension. Unfortunately, the lead character is bland and a bit annoying.

Mine 9 - Follows a group of miners stuck underground after a methane explosion and their struggle to survive. Good tension, solid performances, even if it doesn't bring a lot of innovation to the table.

Maria - Action thriller from the Philippines about a former cartel assassin that is forced to get back to her former ways when her former bosses find her. Some shaky performances here and there and a bit amateurish direction, but the action scenes are overall well shot and it's mostly fun.

Dark Waters - Stars Mark Ruffalo as an attorney that starts to uncover a large corporation conspiracy to hide the way they've polluted the waters in a small US town. Another one that's not entirely groundbreaking, but Ruffalo does a nice job.

Here are some 2018 films I've seen which may make my ballot:

Hereditary (this made my list last time, so it'll likely make this list as well)
Avengers: Infinity War (likely won't make my ballot, but I remember thinking it was one of the better Marvel films)
Black Panther (same as above, though I'd give the edge to Endgame)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (damn, these are a lot of superhero films; regardless, this is probably the best of the three I mentioned, though it likely won't make my ballot)
Annihilation (probably won't make my ballot, but still very good)
The Favourite (a different Lanthimos film will make my ballot instead, but this one is very good as well)
BlackkKlansman (this made my last list, so it may or may not make this one as well)
Sorry to Bother You (probably won't make my ballot, but it's very good and I'll still consider it)
The Nightingale (looking back, I think I rated this one too highly, but I do remember enjoying it)
Roma (this one will be considered for my ballot)
Isle of Dogs (same as above; I really enjoyed this as well)

Here are some 2018 films I've seen which may make my ballot:

Hereditary (this made my list last time, so it'll likely make this list as well)
Avengers: Infinity War (likely won't make my ballot, but I remember thinking it was one of the better Marvel films)
Black Panther (same as above, though I'd give the edge to Endgame)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (damn, these are a lot of superhero films; regardless, this is probably the best of the three I mentioned, though it likely won't make my ballot)
Annihilation (probably won't make my ballot, but still very good)
The Favourite (a different Lanthimos film will make my ballot instead, but this one is very good as well)
BlackkKlansman (this made my last list, so it may or may not make this one as well)
Sorry to Bother You (probably won't make my ballot, but it's very good and I'll still consider it)
The Nightingale (looking back, I think I rated this one too highly, but I do remember enjoying it)
Roma (this one will be considered for my ballot)
Isle of Dogs (same as above; I really enjoyed this as well)
I've seen all of these, except for The Nightingale, which I have been meaning to see. Two of these I rate a 10/10 and will almost certainly make my ballot. Another four or five of them would be worthy additions to the countdown, but probably won't make my ballot. Only one of those I didn't like, but the one I didn't care for will probably still make the ballot.

My final "left field" recommendations for 2019...

Luce - A white family that adopted a child from a war-torn African country has to deal with allegations that their now teenage son might not be who they think he is. Not sure why this film isn't mentioned more often. I thought it was superbly acted, well written, and thought-provoking.

Crawl - Simple, but effective. Nothing groundbreaking here, but it does what it does well enough.

I Lost My Body - French animated film about a severed hand trying to make its way back to its young "owner". Neatly animated with a unique premise.

The Wolf's Call - French submarine thriller about a group of sailors in two separate submarines in the middle of an alleged conflict. It handles a trope that we've seen before where one of the nuclear submarines receive an instruction to launch an attack while the other wants to challenge it. Been done before, but this one handles it fairly well with solid tension. Unfortunately, the lead character is bland and a bit annoying.

Mine 9 - Follows a group of miners stuck underground after a methane explosion and their struggle to survive. Good tension, solid performances, even if it doesn't bring a lot of innovation to the table.

Maria - Action thriller from the Philippines about a former cartel assassin that is forced to get back to her former ways when her former bosses find her. Some shaky performances here and there and a bit amateurish direction, but the action scenes are overall well shot and it's mostly fun.

Dark Waters - Stars Mark Ruffalo as an attorney that starts to uncover a large corporation conspiracy to hide the way they've polluted the waters in a small US town. Another one that's not entirely groundbreaking, but Ruffalo does a nice job.

Crawl was indeed a good surprise. I would also recommend The Shallows to anyone who likes Crawl, and vice versa.
Though The Shallows was visually more beautiful.

And it absolutely boggles my mind how Dark Waters never received a lot attention. On personal front I replaced my nonstick pan with iron, after watching that movie.

Crawl was indeed a good surprise. I would also recommend The Shallows to anyone who likes Crawl, and vice versa.

And it absolutely boggles my mind how Dark Waters never received a lot attention. On personal front I replaced my nonstick pan with iron, after watching that movie.
Heard good things about The Shallows, but haven't gotten around to it.

I second "The Shallows"^^

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Here are some movies from 2010 I really like which might make my ballot:

Certified Copy
Here are some 2011 films which may or may not make my ballot:
-
Here are some 2012 films I like which may make my ballot:

Django Unchained
Moonrise Kingdom
Frances Ha
Here are some 2013 films I've seen which might make my ballot:

All is Lost
Here are some films from 2014 I've seen which might make my ballot:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Nightcrawler
Here are some films from 2015 I've seen which may make my ballot:

The Revenant
Here are some films I've seen from 2016 which might make my ballot:

Hell or High Water
Paterson
Here are some 2017 films I've seen which may make my ballot:

Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
These are possible overlap with my ballot.
Bold titles are highly assured for me.

Here are some family movies that I would recommend to everyone:

Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019)
Ferdinand (2017)
Grace Stirs Up Success (2015)
Hugo (2011)
Jessica Darling's It List (2016)
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
Miracles from Heaven (2016)
The Peanuts Movie (2015)
A Second Chance (2011)
Summer Eleven (2010)
Wonder (2017)
Zootopia (2016)

Now, to close this off, here are some 2019 films I've seen which may make my ballot:

Knives Out (doesn't break any new ground, but is a very, very well-made mystery film)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (this might make my ballot; definitely Tarantino's best film of the 21st century)
Little Women (probably won't make my ballot, but it's a very moving and well-done film)
Joker (probably won't make my ballot either, but I also really enjoyed it)
1917 (has a decent chance of making my ballot, but I might go with some other films instead)
The Lighthouse (this might make my ballot as well; not sure if I enjoy this one more than The Witch though)
Uncut Gems (if this one doesn't make my ballot, Good Time will likely make it instead)
The Irishman (not sure if this will make my ballot, but it's Scorsese's best film of the 2010s)
Marriage Story (this made my prior list, but it might get booted off this time)
Toy Story 4 (probably won't make my ballot, but I think it's really good)
Sound of Metal (this has a good chance at making my ballot)
Color Out of Space (I might've rated this one a bit too high, but I remember thoroughly enjoying it)
First Cow (has a decent chance at making my ballot)