American Sniper

→ in
Tools    

American Sniper

It’s only since October that we saw our last war movie, “Fury”, which was set in WW II, in one of those small moments of the war that might not have been literally true, but certainly seemed as though it could be true. Today’s war movie was American Sniper, set during the bloody period of the war in Iraq, during house-to-house, deadly fighting. The movie was directed by Clint Eastwood who makes full use of his unblinking, steel-eyed gaze on intense lives. I’ve seen a few commenters that labelled this as an exercise on flag-waving jingoism, but I thought it was anything BUT that. History tells us that wars are created by despots, kings and politicians, but soldiers do the fighting and civilians suffer most of the death and destruction. In this war, American soldiers are assigned to clean out opposition in a deadly part of Iraq. Snipers are part of the team, as they are also part of the enemy.

Into this shooting gallery comes Chris Kyle, a Texan, a rodeo cowboy and late-comer to the Navy Seals, who enlists after 9-11 with the impulse to protect his homeland. Kyle becomes a sniper, assigned to take up a rooftop post and protect the advance of his unit in unfriendly turf. Whether the was is justified and just why Kyle did what he did really is not part of the movie. Snipers have been used by every army in every war since the invention of fire arms. Even my local history recounts the two, obscure snipers, Wells and McComas who helped turn the tide of battle. One of them fired the shot that killed British General Ross, slowed the advance of the Brits during the battle of North Point and protecting Fort McHenry. The Star Spangled Banner celebrates those events and both of them have streets in Baltimore named after them. Another icon of his time was Sergeant York, a WW I soldier who rescued his unit from German machine-gunners with his marksmanship. He was an icon of WW I.

As with Fury, Sniper doesn’t waste much time explaining what Americans are doing in Iraq. Its focus is on the unit of soldiers and the fact that, like it or not, they have been deployed to Iraq and they have to kill or be killed. In the case of Kyle, the death that he brings isn’t about dropping a bomb from an airplane, operating a drone from a warehouse in Nevada or even about firing automatic weapons in the general direction of a hidden enemy. It’s about looking someone in the eye through a telescopic sight, deciding who is a threat and who will be killed and then watching them bleed out on the pavement….it’s a personal decision. In real life, Kyle was ruthlessly efficient at his job, having killed at least 170 people. What toll does this take on a person? Prior to his assignment, Kyle was in love, left a pregnant wife behind and promised to come back to a fairly normal American life in our relatively peaceful corner of the world. Can he come back? Can he ever lead a normal life after being the Angel of Death? Soldiers have wrestled with this for all of human history, some are OK, and some are physically and emotionally wrecked, even when they do survive. In the case of Kyle, he returns from the service to his waiting family, physically intact, but he has a hard time adjusting to civilian life, and is still on guard for something awful. He finds some peace helping veterans with worse problems, but the boredom of normality isn’t easy for him.

Was this a good movie? I’m giving it a 4 star rating. Bradley Cooper is nearly unrecognizable, having put on at least 40 pounds of muscle, fully inhabiting his role as a Texan, patriot and officially sanctioned assassin. The rest of the cast is serviceable, none are well known actors, but their roles are mainly confined to giving or following orders and engaging in action. Aside from Cooper, it’s not an actor’s movie or a movie where dialog counts for much. What it does have, however, is Eastwood’s patented direct, uncluttered, minimalist style that just won’t give you a break until it’s over. At every moment, even when Kyle is home on leave or out of the service, it always seems like something is about to happen. Eastwood won’t let us off the hook about the horror of the war, doesn’t resort to flag-waving, sloganeering patriotism and doesn’t really even address the politics or history of the war at all. This movie is about what happens when you DO decide to have a war. Summed up with perfect simplicity by General Sherman, war is hell. Whether its an old war or a new war, it’s hell, and when weapons and locations change, it’s still hell.

Same rating as you are !! I love this film and very nice review

American sniper

American sniper is a real life action movie dealing with the life of Chris Kyle ( played by Bradley Cooper ) , a soldier of America . He was a remarkable sniper , using long range telescopic rifles to shoot enemy soldiers at extreme range using the telescopic sight of the rifle . He was able to pile up a deadly body count , killing upto 170 people in action in Iraq .

Of course , he was only doing his job . Looking at things from his point of view , he was able to save countless American soldiers who would have been targets of those they were fighting in Iraq . And that is the point of view of the movie too , for it practically paints him as a heroic figure who was fighting for his country .

To be honest , there is the viewpoint as to what was America doing in Iraq in the first place . It should not be forgotten that Americans invaded Iraq with false claims of weapons of mass destruction that they knew Saddam didn't possess . They invaded Iraq against the wishes of the majority of the world , without caring for world opinion .

But the movie has no scope for this discussion . It neatly and clinically shows the fighting that Chris was involved in , and intersperses it with considerable glimpses of his family life . In particular , his relationship with his wife ( played by Sienna Miller ) is built up well .

Of course , the contrast in life of the people who have sent their armies ( Americans ) and the people in the war zone ( American soldiers and Iraqis ) is unbelievable . In Iraq , Chris is dealing with a situation where Iraqis are up in arms against what they perceive as an unprovoked aggression of the country---leading to fighting in which people are dying dog's deaths....while when he comes back home , his wife is more bothered about his increasing blood pressure !!

There is no doubt that Chris is a person with a special aptitude for his job . He is no liberal with the weak heart of a sissy . When he was growing up back in Texas , his father taught him not to back down from a fight if he or his younger brother was threatened---on pain of being whipped by his drawn belt . He was a cowboy before he joined up to the armed forces in response to seeing terror attacks against his country on television , and his childhood memories consisted of hunting animals along with his father using accurate marksmanship of his hunting rifle .

He is shown to be the quintessential family man . After some relationships with women , he settles down to holy matrimony with his wife . He is not shown to stray with other women after marriage even though he is away for long periods from his wife due to his duty in Iraq . And he also cares for his younger brother .

And of course , he is a patriot . His job is to save American soldiers from being shot dead by insurgents in Iraq using his skills with the long range rifles and he does that . The politics of whether Americans are right or wrong in Iraq---leave it to the politicians....or maybe to the armchair critics....

Technology has brought the war far too close to home for comfort ; he actually talks to his wife on mobile phone ( or is it satellite phone ) from the war zone of Iraq while he is searching for enemies with one eye on the telescopic sight of his rifle , and one finger on it's trigger.....and then all hell breaks loose and his wife can hear it all---as if she is seeing a running commentary of the actual fighting live on radio....

War has given him the status of a legend due to his marksmanship , but he is ever ready to leave his position on top of a building searching for attackers to help in house to house search of Iraqi insurgents with raw recruits of the marines....and he forces his comrades to do so too , even though house to house search is a job carrying deadly risk to life and limb....

It is during such a house to house search that Chris stumbles upon a man who could lead him to the 'butcher' , the second in command of the Iraqi insurgents....
And he is hell bent on revenge when the top Iraqi sniper ( called Mustafa ) kills his team mate....

So what happens of the task of capturing the butcher ?? And can Chris kill the Iraqi sniper Mustafa ??
Watch the movie for the answers....

It is the war in Iraq that dominates the movie , or at least Chris' part in it....and the director does excel in showing all the action at both close quarters and long range . The feel of the action is real , and no cinematic hyperdrama is created . To Chris and his men , the Iraqis are 'savages' as they openly call them---and I guess it is that mentality of contempt for the opposition that wins wars....political correctness may lead to becoming losers....

The end however was a shock , and left the audience stunned.....no one got up as the closing music was played....
It seemed that the movie along with Bradley Cooper's acting had really sunk into the hearts and minds of the audience....proof that it was a good movie....

Verdict---Good .

There was actualy no music or sound over the closing credits.
Don't remember properly . Was too stunned .

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
American Sniper? More like American Snoozer. Some good battle scenes but very thin on substance and character development.

This movie made me want to play Battlefield or something, and Eastwood has said that this was an "anti-war film". No anti-war film should make me want to play Battlefield. An anti-war film should make me want to break my Battlefield disc in half and make me sick of war, not want more of it. That said, Bradley Cooper was great, there's no denying that. I just felt that the movie's message was very muddled and didn't know what it was trying to say.
Fire walk with me.

This movie made me want to play Battlefield or something, and Eastwood has said that this was an "anti-war film". No anti-war film should make me want to play Battlefield. An anti-war film should make me want to break my Battlefield disc in half and make me sick of war, not want more of it. That said, Bradley Cooper was great, there's no denying that. I just felt that the movie's message was very muddled and didn't know what it was trying to say.
It had the opposite effect for me. After seeing how the character struggled when he was back on home soil was tough to watch. It in no way made me feel like shooting people on a video game. But hey, everyone is different.

It had the opposite effect for me. After seeing how the character struggled when he was back on home soil was tough to watch. It in no way made me feel like shooting people on a video game. But hey, everyone is different.
The last 25 minutes or so when Kyle was back home was the best part of the movie, in my opinion, but the war scenes seemed so inconsequential and one sided to me (except for a certain few scenes). It seemed like the war scenes were trying to be more thrilling than horrifying imo.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I haven't seen it yet, but a buddy said afterwards, the entire audience walked away in silence, no one said a word. He said he's never seen anything like it. Can't wait to see this one

I somehow struggle to take Cooper seriously, I guess its just because I've seen him in so many comedy roles. After reading this thread I think I'll give him a second chance.

I somehow struggle to take Cooper seriously, I guess its just because I've seen him in so many comedy roles. After reading this thread I think I'll give him a second chance.
Yeah I was in the same boat as you going into it, but I have to say I came away pleasantly surprised with Cooper. It was a really solid performance.

I saw this movie some days ago. For me it was very good movie (8/10). I recommend it for everyone who is a lover of action with guns but not only. This movie made an impression on me.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Havent seen it so trying to avoid comments/spoilers but this film seems to be very divisive, some hate it and plenty love it too.