Your Favorite / Most Clever Movie Titles

Tools    

From now on I shall warn everyone when trying to make pathetic attempts at humor. Anyway, you might be right, Palahniuk probably wasn't thinking about it when he was writing the book, but still, Fincher could have changed it. The title itself is misleading, and sounds pretty cheesy. I know this by myself, whenever I mention the movie to someone who's never heard of it, the answer is always the same: "Oh, another brainless muscle movie".

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
hello there...
so, a few of my favorite flicks would include:
legends of the fall
interview with a vampire
catch me if you can
the italian job
national treasure
50 first dates
my sassy girl (korean movie with english subtitles)
face off
the big hit
gladiator
and a whole lot more...

A Beautiful Mind
Stranger than Fiction
Catch Me If You Can

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
The Devil Wears Prada
Gone with the Wind

ooo, i like these.

yeah fbi, I was saying generally one word titles don't do it because they're too easy/obvious, and don't convey much meaning. like, they convey the meaning of the word but not necessarily the movie.

like "rush hour." we know it's got cops from two different countries and a lot of martial arts, running, chasing, shooting, and fighting. but "rush hour" brings to mind everyone rushing to work or being stuck in traffic. they chose it because it sounds fast paced and "action" oriented, but it really doesn't match and it really doesn't "mean anything."

but, braveheart, wasn't that a real name applied to a real man in history? wasn't that name applied in that storylike way older cultures gave names, very very heavy with meaning? Like Dances With Wolves says SO many things about the movie and the man you're about to see - a man who dances with wolves. What kind of man would "dance" with wolves? What does it mean to dance with wolves? The title alone makes you think about it.

The title "The postman always rings twice" makes you think - why's the postman ringing twice? Why's he ALWAYS ringing twice? Why's he ringing at all, and for whom is he ringing?

"the butterfly effect" has a whole world of meaning - literally. what's the effect a butterfly going to cause, there's a whole connotation there of a scientific theory, and in the movie it's applied to a story, how one tiny thing affects everything else until at the end of the thread of circumstance it's a huge major impact you never conceived of.

sometimes movie titles perfectly capture the nuance and core complication in the movie, or the key character, itself.

example - i totally avoided "little children" regardless of reviews, nominations, kate winslet, or reading the synopsis. I knew it was something i should watch and wanted to but that name was driving me crazy. i was like, i dont' want to watch a movie about grown people behaving like little children.

then i watched it. and it was good ... and it was exactly about grown people acting like little children. it drove me mad. but that was me. in the end, that movie title perfectly captures the very raw essence of that movie.

i'm an etymology and linguistic freak. the meaning of words and why people choose them and the meaning of labels and why people chose them ...

the beauty of a phrase and how it fits something, what it carries with it, what it represents.

some of these titles you guys bring up, it's like, they're so evocative. you may or may not have ever seen teh movie but the title alone is intriguing.

i knew because of the title "the three burials ..." that I wanted to see that movie, even though it's a "modern western" (my term) and i'm not really into those. the title alone was mysterious. who gets buried. why? why is a mexican man getting buried 3 times, and by who, for what?

and even for "non serious" fare ... "The Devil Wears Prada" ... that is SO evocative. yeah it's fluff, yeah the book reads in a couple hours, yeah it was a quick sell for mainstream markets. but the title alone is oozing razors, wit, arrogance, style, excess, class differences, ego and seduction. who's the devil? why do they wear prada? why do we care that the devil wears prada, why are we learning/observing the devil in the first place ...

so much meaning behind such brief clever little strings of words.

someone says "Silence of the Lambs" and there's just so much intense history there. that movie rocked the movie watcher world. it turned horror/suspense on its head. took it to a whole new level.

can anyone hear or look at that title and not think all kinds of creepy, uncertain, slinky, cold, foreboding, and dangerous things?
Interesting observations, Thmilin. Sometimes timing is everything, such as when US troops invaded North Africa during World War II and suddenly US newspapers were filled with reports with deadlines like Casablanca just before the release of a film in 1943 on which they tacked the same last-minute title. Otherwise, would crowds have flocked to see Everyone Comes to Rick's?

On the other hand, The Santa Fe Trail had Errol Flynn as JEB Stuart and Ronald Regan as George Custer in a pre-Civil War struggle with Raymond Massey as John Brown in Kansas, which was no where near Santa Fe.

As for The Postman Always Rings Twice, however, you have to question the book publishing industry about the selection of that title since the film was from a book of the same name, as were films from other works by author James M. Cain, such as Double Indemnity and Mildred Pierce. Dances With Wolves also was a book title before it was transferred to the big screen with some strange changes.

One of my favorite movie titles of all time is Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad. I think it was from an off-Broadway play by the same name. Mo' Better Blues is also a great title.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
memento
gone with the wind (because my grandmother saw it in the theater and the roof came off during a storm)
what lies beneath
matchstick men
dangerous beauty

The Seven Sins, 10 thing I hate about you, 300, and,Bruce almighty

DISTURBIA

this sounds great..mysterious title at the same time very clever...

DISTURBIA

this sounds great..mysterious title at the same time very clever...
It would be nice If I could read it

I find a movie title good if it expands on the themes explored in the movie. I know what I just said may have come out pretentious or meaningless, but some movies actually succeed at doing that.

For example, Unforgiven makes you wonder about the movie a bit more. What's not forgiven? By whom? Maybe it’s about destiny, and how it didn’t forgive or allow Eastwood character to become good. Or, it couldn’t forget about his bad deeds, and wanted to punish him? Or was it his conscience? An excellent title. Made me think.
Unforgiven made me wonder if Eastwood had forgotten there was another very popular Western starring Burt Lancaster a couple of decades earlier that was entitled The Unforgiven. Two very different storylines, but I found The Unforgiven to have been more realistic, more interesting, and with a better cast

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Apocalypse Now

Before Sunrise / Before Sunset
Bringing Out the Dead
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
California Split
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Cutting Class
Days of Heaven
Dog Soldiers
Eraserhead
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jaws
Love and Death
Pulp Fiction
Sex, Lies, and Videotape

So many great and clever titles...

How to Murder Your Wife
Death Becomes Her
Brokeback Mountain
Flirting With Disaster
The Opposite of Sex

Kingdom of Heaven

meet the fockers

Walking in the Clouds I just find it very interesting.. at first I was thinking why the title was just like that, but after I saw the movie I told to myself "now I know"

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Evan Almighty