Coronavirus

Tools    

Washington state is shutting down and the big goof is talking about firing up the economy next week. That's leadership. Prepare yourselves America, our numbers are about to go up probably quite significantly this week. Hopefully there will be enough data to determine if we've bent this curve or whatever...
I'm in Washington state and yes we're going to lockdown tomorrow. Which makes me feel like I'm trapped, but it's probably the safest avenue. Yes I heard of the tweets Trump made that seems to suggest he want's to ease quarantine restrictions and get things back to normal, which is great news (if you're a coronavirus looking to infect humanity). I'm not optimistic about the outcome, we have too many people, too closely grouped with lots of travel between places. If we let our guard down and go back to business as usual, the virus will come back in another wave.

A couple of days ago the advisor to the president of the World Health Organization warned that social isolating wasn't enough, and that once the curve is flattened and isolation is lifted the virus will come back in a second wave. He pointed to Korea as the way to handle the virus. In Korea they test everyone with symptoms and do immediate isolation of that person.

Just tried one McDonald's and only the drive-through can be used, which I can't use. Went across the street to Target to get my coffee shots, which they are out of, and their café is closed. It won't take much for me to resort to cannibalism.

Cannibalism is probably safer than eating Macca's tbh, Dude.

The tricky thing for leaders in this situation is that, by definition, they need to issue severe measures before there is an undeniable, manifest reason for them. It's not a great spot to be in. But right now it looks very much like we're simply delaying lock down orders without actually preventing them. I think we clearly need to take this more seriously, but can otherwise appreciate the balancing act people are concerned about. However, the most likely outcome seems to be that they delay the policy rather than avoid it, and it is much less effective as a result.

I worry we're getting the worst of both worlds, where we hold out until it's painfully obvious it needs to happen, and then do it, so we neither avoid that disruption OR get the full benefit of it.

It's feeling very much like it has to get worse for another week, this week, before pretty much every state is on the same page next week.

Next week, of course, being what would have been the end of a two week lock down if we'd started it last week.

Someone over here suggested that small children being responsibly taken out for a walk might enjoy a 'bear hunt' during these troubled times. I thought it was a lovely idea so here's our contribution - Fiona, 50 years old and showing her age, but still able to look out the front window and pretend wave....

The tricky thing for leaders in this situation is that, by definition, they need to issue severe measures before there is an undeniable, manifest reason for them. It's not a great spot to be in. But right now it looks very much like we're simply delaying lock down orders without actually preventing them. I think we clearly need to take this more seriously, but can otherwise appreciate the balancing act people are concerned about. However, the most likely outcome seems to be that they delay the policy rather than avoid it, and it is much less effective as a result.

I worry we're getting the worst of both worlds, where we hold out until it's painfully obvious it needs to happen, and then do it, so we neither avoid that disruption OR get the full benefit of it.

It's feeling very much like it has to get worse for another week, this week, before pretty much every state is on the same page next week.

Next week, of course, being what would have been the end of a two week lock down if we'd started it last week.
We're quite possibly going into lockdown later today (those of us that haven't already voluntarily done so) and I think it probably should have been done a week ago. The only effective way to curtail a virus such as this from becoming completely rampant is to quarantine it and tbh I don't really understand the so-called 'experts' saying that such a measure has to be timed right .... to my mind the longer you leave it the higher the number of people who are already infected becomes and therefore the more of a toll the virus exacts. But I'm just a simple person without letters after my name, so what do I know

Yeah, it's kinda predictable that "everybody please stay indoors" isn't voluntarily adopted enough to be effective, and has to graduate to "okay you have to stay inside now" a week later. I think a keen understanding of culture and human nature would probably just jump to the lock down and take the public opinion hit, but it's tough.

The Adventure Starts Here!
We are going to go under a nationwide lockdown till 14th April. Doctors, cops and authorities are really doing their best.

The only issues are idiots. And more often than not it's the rich, educated ones. They just do not understand the basics or simply do not care to follow a simple basic rule of staying inside their homes.
Oh, I dunno about that rich-people thing. Around here the idiots are all solidly middle class. I would guess that the rich people have more resources in terms of having things delivered. Plus, their houses are way nicer, so staying home isn't as nerve-racking.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Someone over here suggested that small children being responsibly taken out for a walk might enjoy a 'bear hunt' during these troubled times. I thought it was a lovely idea so here's our contribution - Fiona, 50 years old and showing her age, but still able to look out the front window and pretend wave....

Around here, folks in our church started a window-zoo for kids taking walks around the neighborhood. Their kids drew and colored zoo animals and taped them to their windows. It made the local papers. It's adorable!

https://www.timesonline.com/news/202...2J44oxMRtI9VP4

Around here, folks in our church started a window-zoo for kids taking walks around the neighborhood. Their kids drew and colored zoo animals and taped them to their windows. It made the local papers. It's adorable!

https://www.timesonline.com/news/202...2J44oxMRtI9VP4
Lovely

I had this thought in my brain is pollen gonna end the virus as in there air and things. I keep thinking what will end this is something that doesnt happen till spring in april or may and thats either its just how flus work or pollen is the key or end to all viral air sicknesses

I had this thought in my brain is pollen gonna end the virus as in there air and things. I keep thinking what will end this is something that doesnt happen till spring in april or may and thats either its just how flus work or pollen is the key or end to all viral air sicknesses

Immunity is the only thing that can halt something like this.

Problem is, is that we won't ever be immune to CoVid-19.

If you're talking flu and colds, they're a different thing to CoVid-19.
What will happen is everyone on the planet will get CoVid-19 at some point and many will die... then this time next year, is everyone will get CoVid-19 again, but it won't be as bad in terms of deaths.
It'll be a seasonal thing, like flu and cold.

I'm reckoning that when the common cold and flu were new, they killed loads, then after adjustment in the human immune system, they killed fewer... CoVid-19 will do the same.
Kills loads... then the following year, kill fewer.

One good thing coming from this is there are some great vids coming out. Just started checking out David Spade's channel yesterday and found this.

This is exactly the kind of speculation I have been politely asking you to stop. I'm going to remove this stuff going forward, please rein it in. Thank you.