The Imitation Game

→ in
Tools    

The Imitation Game

In this this excellent historical drama, Benedict Cumberbatch plays the part of Alan Turing, the British mathematical genius who was instrumental the breaking of the code behind the Enigma Machine, used by the Nazis in World War II to encrypt their military communication. Turring also was instrumental in the invention of the first digital computers, the theory behind artificial intelligence and the idea of a machine that can be programmed for all quantifiable tasks (like a computer) rather than just a single purpose (like a lawn mower). It was the code breakers of Bletchley Park that informed the allied high command that German commanders did not know about the coming D-Day invasion, intelligence that gave them the confidence to launch the invasion, probably shortening the war by two years. Sadly, a few years after the war, Turing found himself being prosecuted for “Gross Perversion” (being gay), was subjected to chemical castration and subsequently probably committed suicide (his cyanide poisoning could have been an accident). The movie portrays a condensed version of this story.

Cumberbatch is truly excellent in his role as as Turing, portraying the genuinely eccentric Turing, a man full of strange gestures and awkwardness, and finding himself responsible for one of the most important projects of the war, dealing with military commanders and the cold-hearted British intelligence officer Stewart Menzies (well played by Mark Strong). Keira Knightly is also excellent as Joan Clarke, another equally awkward mathematician who is recruited by Turing to join the project as its only woman. As the story develops, she also provides some cover for Turing’s gayness by being his knowing fiancee.

The usual question for movies about recent history…how much history, how much fiction… falls on the side of a well crafted fiction about historical events. Characters and events are condensed, technical details are kept shallow in order to not overwhelm the audience. The real story of the Enigma Machine and its code-breakers is far more complex, with a larger cast of characters, way beyond what can be told in a two hour movie. The movie keeps the story compact and intense, following the activities of the small group of “Hut 8” code breakers as they try to turn their basic geek qualities into an essential part of the war effort. It’s near zero on special effects, relying instead on the drama of the events themselves, the urgency of stopping the Third Reich and the groundbreaking innovations that changed the world…plenty of drama. I would give this movie a high rating, an excellent example of historical fiction, well worth a view for fans of technology, WW II as well as fans of fine British acting. Don’t miss it.

Better than I expected

I wasn't all that excited to see The Imitation Game. I wasn't that interested in the story of the movie before I went to see it, because usually World War II biographical dramas don't usually interest me. But it was getting good reviews, and I like Benedict Cumberbatch, so I went to see it. Needless to say, I was genuinely surprised at how entertaining the film was. If you told me we were going to see a movie about cracking codes in World War II I would think that the movie was very boring, but in fact the opposite is true for The Imitation Game. They do a great job of keeping the audience entertained throughout the film, and in the end I was very glad that I went to see this movie.

The Imitation Game is about Alan Turing, the man who invented a machine to crack the Enigma codes sent out by the Germans in World War II. It is, of course, now very well known that Turing was a homosexual and this is a big theme in the movie, but if that kind of thing makes you uncomfortable you shouldn't have to worry with this film because there are no scenes of men kissing or physical homosexuality. Instead you see what may have caused Turing's homosexuality, and it's effect on his life and work. So, if the only reason you aren't seeing this film is because you don't want to see 2 men kiss than you don't have to worry because none of that happens in the film. The Germans would send out information, but when it was received in Britain it was encoded in 159 million million million possible answers. It was the job of Alan Turing and some colleagues to try and crack the codes every day before midnight, by which time they would become useless. At first everyone worked together and tried to figure out the codes by hand. Everyone except for Alan. While everyone was working hard to try and crack the daily codes by hand, Turing was inventing a machine to try and crack the codes for them. This, of course, angers many people in the film who think that this machine is a waste of time. Many people don't believe that the machine will work, and the threat of being fired is constantly over Turing's head. This is just the basic plot of the film, there is much more in the film, but I don't wish to go into that much detail or flesh out the story too much. Let's talk about acting.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing, the famous mathematician who worked on cracking the Enigma codes. Cumberbatch is absolutely amazing in this film. He plays a very complex character with so much going on in his head that at times he struggles to properly translate into words. He shows this by stuttering and mixing his words up and so forth and it's really amazing. He seems like he really is Alan Turing in this film, like he really knows how to crack the Enigma codes and knows exactly what kind of machine he's building. There are even some funny scenes in the beginning of the film where Cumberbatch shows off his "know-it-all" charm that we all see in Sherlock. But I think that the best scenes of Cumberbatch are in the ending scenes. You can see a sadness and longing in his eyes by the end of the film and it's truly heartbreaking. If you're looking for a reason to go see this film, at least go see it for Cumberbatch's performance. It's fantastic.

Keira Knightley plays Joan Clarke, a woman who worked with Turing on the Enigma machine. I don't want to give away too much about her character so I'll just move on to the performance. Keira Knightley is good in this movie, but I don't think I'd call it one of the stand out performances of the year. She's still very good in the film, but I wouldn't call it a consistently fantastic performance. There are some scenes where she really shines though, especially towards the end of the film, when she gives an beautiful and poignant speech. Keira Knightley was good, but probably not as great as I had hoped.

The cinematography in this was surprisingly good. The scenes in the 50's are cold and gray. The scenes in the 40's are more colorful and green. But the scenes of Turing as a child at school are the most colorful and bright of all. These color tones really help to separate the feelings of the protagonist. They help to divide the film and create an even tone for every portion of Turing's life. The lighting and framing are very good in this film, and now that I think about it, I'm rather surprised that it wasn't nominated for a cinematography Oscar.

The music in The Imitation Game is especially compelling. I was very pleasantly surprised at how memorable the score was, and seeing it on the list of Oscar nominees for score makes me very happy. I think that this is my favorite score out of the nominees at The Oscars. The music really fits the film and during the sad scenes can be very heartbreaking and beautiful, and during the more upbeat and lighthearted scenes can really help keep the pace up. I've even been listening to the soundtrack while writing this review. Good job Alexander Desplat, I hope you win.

There are a couple of problems I had with The Imitation Game. For one thing, there are a few cliche scenes here and there. Like the scene where everyone says "if you fire him, you have to fire me too." Or the rather cartoony boss who seems like he wants to shake his fist at the sky and yell "TURIIIINNGGG!!!!" There are also some plot twists in the film that are done in a kind of "typical hollywood movie" way and come off as cheesy and unrealistic. These things take the score of the movie down a bit, but in light of all the great things in this film, these minor things are very few.

The Imitation Game is a great and poignant film. Benedict Cumberbatch gives a fantastic performance, and the music, cinematography, and screenplay all work together to create a emotional and compelling experience. The film has a few problems, but these can be pretty easily overlooked. I really enjoyed The Imitation Game, and don't regret seeing it for one second.

Fire walk with me.

For those interested in Bletchley and the codebreakers, there was an excellent documentary some years ago called Station X. The first one can be found here. It's amazing stuff.

If you're not aware of the history of Bletchley and are thinking of going to see The Immitation Game, it's probably best not to watch this first unless you want to sit through the film going "that didn't happen" "He wasn't even there then!" "What?" etc and then you can just enjoy the film, which is quite good, though if Knightley got a nom for that, then I pity actresses in Hollywood because they must have almost nothing to do.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
though if Knightley got a nom for that, then I pity actresses in Hollywood because they must have almost nothing to do.
Yes, she was fine but it was hardly a great performance.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Despite it being historically inaccurate, the film is extremely well done with riveting performances.

Suspect's Reviews

It is well done, but I really don't see it as better than a good BBC drama production. Even though I'm of the opinion that TV is better, I guess I still expect something a little more from seeing a film at the cinema. It might be unfair (and one of the reasons Hollywood goes for big money spectacle) but that's how it is for me. As I said to my friend after seeing it and in my first post about the film (in another thread), maybe we're just spoilt over here?