2016 Summer Olympics

Tools    

I loved the Chinese opening for their Olympics, I must be able to understand their culture because I buy all their cheap products at Wallmart
That's because the Chinese opening was devoid of almost any cultural background and cultural meaning.

It was a military parade with costumes designed to demonstrate power, it spoke the universal language of symmetry and lacked substantial artistic meaning.

Somethings are more accessible than others, the Brazilian opening was very Brazilian. I noticed that Brazilians like it way more than foreigners.

Here, there's a small part in this which explains its opening ceremony budget in comparison to London

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36993259
The budget of the London opening was 30 million pounds. The Brazilian opening was 100 million reais, that's about equivalent to 35-40 million pounds in purchasing power parity. Considering the lower cost of labor in Brazil the real cost was ca. 45-50 million pounds if it was made in London.

It's ignorant nonsense to claim it was a cheaper.

That's because the Chinese opening was devoid of almost any cultural background and cultural meaning.

It was a military parade with costumes designed to demonstrate power, it spoke the universal language of symmetry and lacked substantial artistic meaning.

Somethings are more accessible than others, the Brazilian opening was very Brazilian. I noticed that Brazilians like it way more than foreigners.
If it makes you feel better I didn't like the British opening, nor the American opening last time we hosted it. And no I didn't see tonight's opening ceremonies.

No, artistic appreciation is culturally constructed. An Ethiopian tribal will not understand why The Godfather is considered better than Adam Sandler's movies without experience with American culture.
How the hell would you know that? Can you link me to something that shows this is the case? If not this is just an assumption based on nothing, it is as good as me saying that Ethiopians absolutely will agree with westerners on everything.

It's was a very Brazilian ceremony. Since people outside Brazil don't know Brazilian culture they will not understand it.

Why they made it very Brazilian? Because it's in Brazil and Brazilian culture is reflected in things made by Brazilians.

The Chinese opening, for example, was a military parade with costumes, very much in line with the Chinese communist party.
Didn't ask why they made it Brazillian so i'm not sure why you are answering that, actually i do know but i can't be bothered going into it. You were the one that claimed the rest of the world just didn't understand its ceremony. You claimed it is more artistic specifically because it is Brazillian and that others don't understand it because of this, which is clearly anti-artistic since it is so Country specific.

Anyway i think your ceremony was fine and i think people have been way too hard and hypocritical with Brazil, i don't think half the people who post those "Brazil is starving while hosting the olympics" images will give a crap once Brazil isn't hosting anything, this has aready been proven pretty much with the interest and lack of "save Brazil" hashtags used between the World Cup and Olympics.

Same. Have you watched any more of the football? I haven't but there seems to have been an absurd amount of goals so far, two people went 4 goals in 1 game.

Too bad that very few of the players that do well here ever amount to anything.
I've only watched the two Brazil games, and man have they played awful.

Also, how are people feeling about Russia being allowed to participate? I've just heard they won't be appearing at all for the paralympics
Why shouldn't they be allowed? I know their treatment of gays and their neighbours is awful but there's like 40 more oppressive countries involved,

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Apparently the government have tampered with their doping tests for quite some time, or something along those lines. The IOC let individual sporting bodies decide on whether or not to let them participate, and a part from athletics, I think the majority of them got in. But they got a lot of boos at the opening ceremony.

But the head of the paralympics absolutely savaged Russia today and won't let any of their athletes compete.

And if they didn't get in because of homophobia, then how the likes of Saudi Arabia got by I don't know, Camo

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Happy to see del Potro pull off the upset against Djoković. It's great to see him back on the court.
Tennis has been unreal. Williams sisters lost, Murray brothers lost. Second seeds in women's double lost, and the tops seeds of the men's doubles have lost as well

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Bouchard vs Kerber tomorrow, I like them both but have to go for the Canadian.
I love, love, love Canada, but I cannot stand Bouchard. I wish Milos decided to play because he seems quite humble and down to earth unlike the majority of the ATP

I thought it was for doping allegations.
Russia, China and The US go through those every Olympics. It is a weird year if it isn't proven that someone from each country is doping, so i don't accept it being anything other than political personally.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
No Camo, as far as I'm aware, they have solid proof that Russia have interfered in doping tests to get their athletes to pass them. There was a time when people thought they were going to be outright banned from going at all, which was the case for the paralympics.

Here we go, this sums it up
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/18/sport/russia-doping-sochi-2014-olympic-games-rio-2016/