2016 MoFo TV Tournament

Tools    

How do you Blackadder fans feel about A Bit of Fry and Laurie? I never finished it, but I really enjoyed the first season or so.
It's been several years since I last watched any of it, but from what I remember some of their sketches were quite good, others are just kind of... meh. I wasn't crazy about Jeeves and Wooster either.

without having any charming
Fair enough nothing about the show is charming. Other than maybe a few Jerry scenes.

or redeeming qualities.
Well i think RIcks redeeming quality is how funny he is, obviously you don't feel the same way which is fine. I don't think you have watched the show enough to say the others don't have redeeming qualities though, you can say so far for me maybe but overall whether these redeeming qualities work for you or not you are wrong. I think despite how ridiculous it is Rick and Morty is one of the most barebone human shows i've seen in a long time, humans aren't always likeable and familes tend to have the same traits so there is nothing off about this family all being awful (i don't know why you think Morty is though?) in their own way. I know you aren't saying that, but in my experience this family is a lot more realistic than most i've encountered from tv shows because they are dealing with tough situations from episode 1, this isn't supposed to be The Simpsons. The human moments from each character become all the more powerful because they don't appear much, stuff as simple as Summer not being a bitch to Morty can have a lot of effect because it is the opposite of what you usually expact from the family.

Perhaps if he didn't occasionally foam at the mouth and belch I'd like him more,
That gets seriously toned down, i mean remember two of the three episodes you watched were the first two.

Morty didn't have much of an active role in any of the episodes I saw, he just seems to exist to counter Rick's personality and occasionally make unexpected observations.
Morty is the main reason the show works, the three episodes you watched don't deal with his character much.

The mom wasn't particularly awful in the episodes I saw, just negligent in the flashbacks, but I've only seen 5 so that's a small sample. The dad I never felt sympathy for, because he's just too stubborn. Well except when he had a bit of an existential crisis in the parasite episode and was sort of convinced that he was one of the fake family members and the fake husband/his secret lover died. I rather liked that (though it was probably the only part of the episode I did like other than the surprise ending). Summer just being a typical teenage tv character is why I don't like her all, because she hadn't shown any unique or at least interesting traits in the episodes I saw.
Not sure how to approach any of this because it just comes across so scatterbrained. The reason it does is because again Rick and Morty is not The Simpsons or South Park or whatever, the show has continuity, episode 2 takes place after episode 1, etc. You've kind of jumped in at the middle of certain character development arcs which wouldn't work for you well because you missed the rest, truthfully you should have watched the first five surprised your friends let you watch them out of order.

but it just did not connect with me at all.
I don't think it will at all so this post wasn't trying to convince you to watch more btw. Glad you gave it a chance anyway

What's going on here? I heard there was a fight between Camo and TONGO?

I wasn't crazy about Jeeves and Wooster either.
I did not particularly like Jeeves and Wooster, but I kept watching it out of obligation. Eventually I did give up haha.

humans aren't always likeable and familes tend to have the same traits so there is nothing off about this family all being awful (i don't know why you think Morty is though?) in their own way.
I didn't think Morty was an awful person, I just thought he was bland and uninteresting and thus not a character I could care for. I didn't mean likeable in a sense of being a good person, or always doing things I agree with. I like a lot of characters who are very despicable in that sense. I just didn't personally like any of the characters in this show or find them to be engaging.

Though if you ask my room mates, they'll say something about me just hating anything that's animated haha.

Not sure how to approach any of this because it just comes across so scatterbrained.
Yeah I wasn't happy with how I explained my thoughts on those characters but I couldn't think of a better way to describe it haha.

you should have watched the first five surprised your friends let you watch them out of order.
When they first wanted me to watch the 2 episodes I saw a few months ago, I told them I'd rather watch them in order. According to them the start of the series is not very good and they were convinced that I would hate it. The John Oliver episode was the second one (or maybe the third) and the Scary Terry was the next episode in sequence, so I agreed to watch those two since I'd really only be missing the pilot episode.

In case the show did just have a terrible start, I wanted to see some of the best that it had to offer before really judging it, but didn't want to suffer through the episodes in between. So I told them to pick 3 episodes they thought I would like the most but to try and be mindful of continuity issues and I don't think there was anything jarring or out of place about the episodes I saw today vs what I saw originally.

Glad you gave it a chance anyway
I really wanted to like it because of how much my room mates seem to love it, but I guess the show is just not for me. Or maybe they are right and I have some bias against cartoons haha.

Just watched the first episode of The Shield. I keep getting this show and The Wire mixed up for some reason. Surprisingly, I really liked Michael Chiklis. I think the only other thing I've seen him in is the Fantastic 4 movies, so I wasn't expecting him to be as charming as he was in this episode. I don't think I'm going to like this more than the other show Shawn Ryan created and ran, The Chicago Code, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this show goes in the next couple of episodes.

According to them the start of the series is not very good and they were convinced that I would hate it.
That's fine if it is something like The Simpsons, or Bob's Burgers because those have a revolving timeline i'm pretty sure Josh Weinstein called it (co showrunner duriing Seasons 7-8 with Bill Oakley), what that means is that an episode from season 20 can take place before an episode in Season 1.

Rick and Morty actually has a straightforward timeline so you watching episode 1 then 22 then 9, is a problem because you have missed so much of the characters development.

Glad you are liking The Shield if you are because you drifted off into something else haha.

I watched some of Narcos yesterday. May watch more tonight.
So far it's okay but not my cup of tea.
did you finish?
i can see not everybody liking it,also i know alot of english speakers have
trouble with foreign shows

i knew alot about Pablo before watching the show,also the mafia genre is one of my faves so i guess that plays into it aswell.

i know alot of english speakers have
trouble with foreign shows
Wait, did I watch the wrong show? I thought Narcos was an American production.

Or do you just mean the location/language?

Wait, did I watch the wrong show? I thought Narcos was an American production.

Or do you just mean the location/language?

sorry,i ment language. i know most dont like subtitles

I've been watching more of iZombie, and might continue to watch The Shield as well. It's very convenient for me, because I've been looking for new shows to watch for awhile now. There's still a lot of nominated shows that I haven't seen, so it's possible that I'll find some more. (:

One of my friends has said some really good things about The Inbetweeners, so I'm looking forward to watching that. I think I'll try The Walking Dead next though. When it was new, I tried to watch the first episode but hated it so much I turned it off 2/3 of the way through. I have friends (some who read the comics, some who did not) who liked the show for awhile, but said it got really bad. The only people I know who are still watching it are my parents haha.

Watched the third episode of IZombie, really good show that i'll continue watching glad you nominated it TN. I did vote for Fawlty Towers in that match because it is such a long established all time favourite of mine but i wouldn't be that disappointed if it lost.

Will watch three of Spartacus then that's me done voting this round.

might continue to watch The Shield as well.

One of my friends has said some really good things about The Inbetweeners
When i watched this first when it was just airing it was probably a top ten show for me, must admit it has fell considerably in re watches but it is still a lot of fun.

I think I'll try The Walking Dead next though
Hate The Walking Dead. I really forced myself to get through two seasons of that because all my friends loved it so much, they pretty much all said it got really bad as well. Hope you enjoy it more than i do anyway.

Well I couldn't even make it through the first episode when I tried to watch it before, so I doubt it'll become a show I continue to watch after the prerequisite 3 episodes. But at that time I was really tired of the whole zombie apocalypse thing, and since I've been mostly staying away from those types of movies and shows, maybe I'll be more forgiving this time around? I guess I'll see soon enough.

Gideon, tat and JJ earlier in the thread have messaged me asking if they could still nominate. I feel pretty bad that i closed this pretty quickly since we got 64 quickly. Would everyone be alright with them nominating two each? I'd do the same as Godoggo did in a former tournament and include a few three show matches. It is up to you guys it would mean there'd be another six shows that you would maybe need to watch more of to vote?