Appreciate the Works of a MoFo!

Tools    

It's a fair point that reviews should get more love.
Then where is my love? lol ....In all seriousness though, whatever a person faithfully (and meaningfully) contributes to this site should get attention.

It's a fair point that reviews should get more love.
Then where is my love? lol ....In all seriousness though, whatever a person faithfully (and meaningfully) contributes to this site should get attention.
We'll show you love if you join.

I have to return some videotapes.
So in other words, this is the Let's All Aspire to Be Like Captain Spaulding Thread?
Couldn't have made a worse title tbh

Let's NOT Aspire to Be Like Captain Spaulding.

That sounds better.

Let's NOT Aspire to Be Like Captain Spaulding.

That sounds better.
I dunno, I think it would be a nice change for me.

Did you tick the box under your review when you'd wrote it ? The one that says 'suggest this post for inclusion in the reviews area'?
Yes, I can see the review on his profile. I agree that it's a design flaw that the actual front review page shows films from 2009 and earlier and the most recent month and nothing in between.

Well, flaw implies a superior alternative. We have conflicting, mutually exclusive problems:

1) We want a good mix of reviews easily visible (not just all the new releases)..
2) We want the list to turnover on a regular basis (we don't want the same reviews sitting there for weeks).

The very act of featuring something means excluding something else--if everything were featured, nothing would stand out. So something's going to get a bit more attention than other things.

The best balance we've found is to display all the most recent reviews, with a special section for slightly older films. I'm definitely open to alternatives, though I've become fairly convinced that anything that solves this problem (or at least comes closer to solving it) will probably involve a more thorough rebuild than just tweaking the settings here and there.

Well, flaw implies a superior alternative. We have conflicting, mutually exclusive problems:

1) We want a good mix of reviews easily visible (not just all the new releases)..
2) We want the list to turnover on a regular basis (we don't want the same reviews sitting there for weeks).

The very act of featuring something means excluding something else--if everything were featured, nothing would stand out. So something's going to get a bit more attention than other things.

The best balance we've found is to display all the most recent reviews, with a special section for slightly older films. I'm definitely open to alternatives, though I've become fairly convinced that anything that solves this problem (or at least comes closer to solving it) will probably involve a more thorough rebuild than just tweaking the settings here and there.
Do you think you could add a way to be able to rep reviews while looking at it through the review section?

Hmmm, that's interesting. I'll add that to the list. I need to finish up some (fairly significant) features first, but that's a decent idea.

Don't want this thread to get sidetracked, though. If we continue talking about it it should be in a new thread about tweaks to the reviews page, I think.

So basically posting in this thread and supposedly asking for appreciation for what I have to offer to this forum, which everyone should get in the first place, doesn't automatically add you to this 'group'?

So basically posting in this thread and supposedly asking for appreciation for what I have to offer to this forum, which everyone should get in the first place, doesn't automatically add you to this 'group'?
If you want to be added to the group just say so and I'll add your name.

Obviously everybody should be appreciated, but since I think it's an area that could be improved upon, and people sometimes forget to appreciate each other, I created this thread in the hope of you would be more committed if you signed up and agreed to support other mofo's hard work, while in return, you would get the same treatment. Hopefully it'll generate more replies and discussions... So yeah, wanna be a member?

What benefits do you get by having your name added? I could still post links to my posts here even if my name isn't added.

What benefits do you get by having your name added? I could still post links to my posts here even if my name isn't added.
The satisfaction of knowing you're benefiting to a good cause. The lack of reps is a true tragedy in this forum and I think we need to start a rep-fund to help everyone in need.

I'm starting to believe it's time to get rid of positive rep just like how we got rid of negative rep!

I'm not trying to criticize this thread or its purpose, but personally I don't get how "appreciation" can be satisfying if you have to ask for it to get it.

Listen, SC, just get out of the thread if you don't like what you see... I'm tired of you always complain and pointing out stuff you don't like... But here is the deal, written out for your simple mind:

The benefit is, that it is mutual understandings and mutual respect. If you become a member, and post something in here, the other members would love to read and comment on what you post, because that's the deal.

You become a member, agree to rep/comment a little here and there on the other member's stuff, and in return, they would gladly do the same to you.

So, if you are not a member, obviously the members in the group wouldn't be as much committed to rep/comment your stuff, when you aren't doing the same for them. That said though, I'd wish we could just do as you say and post something and suddenly BAM! a thousand comments, reps and a great discussion. But that rarely happens. So therefore = this thread.

So this thread is simply an attempt to try and create more discussion, or simply have more people appreciate what other mofos do; whether a review, write-up, essay, question they want to have answered... whatever it might be.

So when you post something, you are more guaranteed of having people read it, because you would do the same for them. It's not a "let's hope someone sees this and wants to look at it" scenario anymore. In here, people will (hopefully) be just a little more committed to comment a little more, read a little more, appreciate a little more. If you think that is stupid, fine, then leave...