MovieMeditation presents... "His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films!"

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, and of course I wish I would be absolutely terrified by the film, but even though I only find certain parts scary or disturbing, the film is so extremely well made that it makes up for it all.

And who knows, maybe I'll appreciate it even more with time, but after all it did make my list and I do love the film, so it's all cool... And hey, everyone throws The Exorcist in their Top 10 or whatever. I am full of surprises here!

I can't imagine you'll be scared by it in the future, but at least you appreciate it's quality, like you said. I've never seen the recut with the spider walk, if that makes a difference. I don't want to, it's already perfect for me.

From Dusk Til Dawn was fun to watch at the theatre.... it was a snowy as hell night in the middle of winter... barely anyone in the theatre.. and we had fun with that film.. kind of like Mystery Science Theatre 3000. The Exorcist is an awesome horror... true to life ****.

@cricket Have you ever just seen the clip though? like on youtube or whatever?

Personally I love the spider-walk scene. And honestly I don't think it ruins the film even for those who love and appreciate the first cut. The spider-walk scene is so quick and comes out of nowhere, that you don't really realize whether it fits or not. I just think it looks cool, and in a way it almost feels totally out of place and abrupt, which only makes it a surprising and great scene in my opinion.

But yeah, though essential to me, it's such a small scene that the movie works the same with or without it...

But just to make it clear: I love The Exorcist, it's a great and well-made film, that, though occasionally funny to me, it is also very disturbing and ultimately it's such a great time that I don't mind how it makes me feel. It's a great film and that's the most important thing in the end - whether it's great for one thing or another.

Swan, isnt The Exorcist based on a half truth story? I mean some people believe in demon possession .. its a big thing in the Catholic Church... so yeah if that sh*t can really happen then you better be scared it doesn't happen to you!

The novel was inspired by "real events," only real in the sense of being an exorcism performed on a person. I don't personally believe they were truly possessed, though.

The novel was inspired by "real events," only real in the sense of being an exorcism performed on a person. I don't personally believe they were truly possessed, though.
Right I mean.. in the real story.. it was a boy not a girl.. and some of the aspects of the story was changed for the story to be made into a film.... .but still some scary a$$ ***** if you were put into that position...

I have not. Should I?
I liked it.. I have a few possession films... I think possession is possible... some claim its a form of mental illness but I really doubt that.

Of course being a parent while something like that was happening to your kid would absolutely be terrifying, I don't doubt it.

I saw the clip a couple times back when they were promoting the release. Idk, it just came off wrong for me.

Maybe everyone else heard these things-

Jack Nicholson turned down the role of the priest.
Kubrick was supposed to direct.

Of course, those two got together later.

Max Von Sydow was only around 40yo playing a guy in his 70's.

Of course being a parent while something like that was happening to your kid would absolutely be terrifying, I don't doubt it.
if it happened to anyone I know... I would be terrified!

I liked it.. I have a few possession films... I think possession is possible... some claim its a form of mental illness but I really doubt that.
So you are religious, at least in some way? Because either you believe in possession, which is done by some sort of evil forces. I don't believe in such things though, at least not in this particular way. Or else, you believe in the scientific way, which is some sort of mental illness.

I personally believe in the fact that there is something out there, which cannot be explained by science. Unexplained phenomenons. I also believe in "spirits", though I hate to use specific words, since I don't believe such things can be specific. I like to just say, I believe in something that cannot be explained, and therefore refuse to try and explain it.

So you are religious, at least in some way? Because either you believe in possession, which is done by some sort of evil forces. I don't believe in such things though, at least not in this particular way. Or else, you believe in the scientific way, which is some sort of mental illness.

I personally believe in the fact that there is something out there, which cannot be explained by science. Unexplained phenomenons. I also believe in "spirits", though I hate to use specific words, since I don't believe such things can be specific. I like to just say, I believe in something that cannot be explained, and therefore refuse to try and explain it.
I believe in good and evil.. I am not christian.. I believe things exist on each plateau of this world... There are things that are unseen to us and there are things that can happen to us.. either by environment, social, science and things that just cant be explained... I guess we could have a deeper conversation about this elsewhere and not invading your horror film thread.

As Swan said.. mental illness itself can be a scary thing.. I suffer from a few forms but thats no one's business but my own... and who I choose to share it with.

It all makes sense now! Perhaps you watch all those explicit gore flicks to cure your illness... Clockwork Orange style!

On a serious note though, I'm only kidding of course, after all I know nothing about those sides of you so anything I say and think is purely guesses! But yeah, such conversation would be interesting...

And really I don't mind a great discussion, I'm glad to see my picks spawned some kind of debate - though I agree it should be taken elsewhere if it goes on in every other direction several pages throughout!

It all makes sense now! Perhaps you watch all those explicit gore flicks to cure your illness... Clockwork Orange style!

On a serious note though, I'm only kidding of course, after all I know nothing about those sides of you so anything I say and think is purely guesses! But yeah, such conversation would be interesting...

And really I don't mind a great discussion, I'm glad to see my picks spawned some kind of debate - though I agree it should be taken elsewhere if it goes on in every other direction several pages throughout!
You love teasing me dont you.................................. You dont realize that there are some good films out there under horror.. they just arent so well known.. One would be "Borderland" from 2007... now that ***** can really happen!!