Bafta Nominations 2015

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The BAFTA Nominations 2015

Best Film
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything

Outstanding British Film
'71
The Imitation Game
Paddington
Pride
The Theory of Everything
Under the Skin

Outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer
Elaine Constantine (writer/director) Northern Soul
Gregory Burke (writer), Yann Demange (director) ’71
Hong Khaou (writer/director) Lilting
Paul Katis (director/producer), Andrew Lotbinière (producer) Kajaki: The True Story
Stephen Beresford (writer), David Livingstone (producer) Pride

Film not in the English language

Ida
Leviathan
The Lunchbox
Trash
Two Days One Night

Documentary
20 Feet From Stardom
20,000 Days on Earth
Citizen Four
Finding Vivian Maier
Verunga

Animated Film
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
The Lego Movie

Director
BIRDMAN Alejandro G. Iñárritu
BOYHOOD Richard Linklater
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL Wes Anderson
THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING James Marsh
WHIPLASH Damien Chazelle

Original screenplay
BIRDMAN Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris Jr, Armando Bo
BOYHOOD Richard Linklater
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL Wes Anderson
NIGHTCRAWLER Dan Gilroy
WHIPLASH Damien Chazelle

Adapted screenplay
AMERICAN SNIPER Jason Hall
GONE GIRL Gillian Flynn
THE IMITATION GAME Graham Moore
PADDINGTON Paul King
THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING Anthony McCarten

Leading actor
BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH The Imitation Game
EDDIE REDMAYNE The Theory of Everything
JAKE GYLLENHAAL Nightcrawler
MICHAEL KEATON Birdman
RALPH FIENNES The Grand Budapest Hotel

Leading actress
AMY ADAMS Big Eyes
FELICITY JONES The Theory of Everything
JULIANNE MOORE Still Alice
REESE WITHERSPOON Wild
ROSAMUND PIKE Gone Girl

Supporting actor
EDWARD NORTON Birdman
ETHAN HAWKE Boyhood
JK SIMMONS Whiplash
MARK RUFFALO Foxcatcher
STEVE CARELL Foxcatcher

Supporting actress
EMMA STONE Birdman
IMELDA STAUNTON Pride
KEIRA KNIGHTLEY The Imitation Game
PATRICIA ARQUETTE Boyhood
RENE RUSSO Nightcrawler

Original music
BIRDMAN Antonio Sanchez
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL Alexandre Desplat
INTERSTELLAR Hans Zimmer
THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING Jóhann Jóhannsson
UNDER THE SKIN Mica Levi

Cinematography
BIRDMAN Emmanuel Lubezki
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL Robert Yeoman
IDA Lukasz Zal, Ryzsard Lenczewski
INTERSTELLAR Hoyte van Hoytema
MR. TURNER Dick Pope

For the rest of the categories see this list

I'm pleased to see Hong Khaou get a nomination for Lilting. I think Birdman may have replaced Lilting as my favourite film of last year so far but it's very good and underseen.

Nice to see nominations for Paddington, too, although I think Paul King should have been nominated for best director rather than adapted screenplay.

Slightly weird to see two biopics of scientists in the running for everything. I don't think The Imitation Game is that good a film altogether, but Benedict Cumberbatch's performance is very good. I'm slightly surprised Gone Girl hasn't been nominated for best film.

I'm surprised there's not a couple more nominations for Mr. Turner considering these are British film awards, I would have thought Timothy Spall would have got an acting nomination. Surprised to see they consider Steve Carell a supporting actor for Foxcatcher, although it kinds of makes sense as Tatum is probably the lead.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I was expecting a bit more love for Interstellar but... oh well! But sure is a better film than The Theory of Everything!

I don't think The Imitation Game is that good a film altogether, but Benedict Cumberbatch's performance is very good.
^^This^^

For this Brits, I really think this is 'just' very good BBC drama. It's really not that cinematic at all and the performances, script, etc really don't warrent a Best Film nom, IMO. If they do, then I'm glad I only saw two films at the cinema last year and that this was one of them.

Although I've not seen it, I'm very surprised to see that Timothy Spall hasn't gotten an acting nom. Every review I saw, heard or read about it seemed to've assumed it was nailed on. At least Dick Pope's cinematography got a nom. Had neither shown up, many might've considered this years awards null and void.

^^This^^

For this Brits, I really think this is 'just' very good BBC drama. It's really not that cinematic at all and the performances, script, etc really don't warrent a Best Film nom, IMO. If they do, then I'm glad I only saw two films at the cinema last year and that this was one of them.
It's easily the least best film I saw last year. It wasn't bad exactly, just awkwardly mediocre, it just wasn't at all special in any way apart from a good lead performance. It was full of silly, trite, obvious Hollywood moments like the whole 'I'm Spartacus' bit in the shed. Wouldn't have been out of place on the telly, like you say, not cinematic at all.

Although I've not seen it, I'm very surprised to see that Timothy Spall hasn't gotten an acting nom. Every review I saw, heard or read about it seemed to've assumed it was nailed on. At least Dick Pope's cinematography got a nom. Had neither shown up, many might've considered this years awards null and void.
Yes, it is a bit surprising Spall wasn't nominated, although to be fair it does seem like there's some quite strong competition for the leading actor category. I haven't seen Turner so I can't judge for myself on this but all the reviews seemed to suggest it was a good performance.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
I agree. Not having Tim Spall nominated is very strange and not good
Happy to see the love for The Grand Budapest Hotel
Also happy with the love for The Grand Budapest Hotel! It deserves the shot at a win!

I'm slightly disappointed that there's no nomination for Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's music for Gone Girl, I really liked it.