R.I.P. Peter Falk

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just saw this myself like two minutes ago. Very sad to hear.

He was an absolute legend as Columbo. One of the most, if not the most, iconic screen detectives of all time.

While I've not seen a vast amount of his movie roles, those I have seen (The Great Race, Brink's Job, Princess Bride etc) I've found him to be very entertaining in those as well.

R.I.P. Peter Falk.

Very, very sad. I saw him in Next, of all things, just a couple of days ago. I'll have to make sure he goes out in style by watching The Princess Bride again.

Oh, if only he could give us "one more thing."

RIP.

You ready? You look ready.

I'm going to miss this guy because he helped me understand Derrida. Be sure and watch Columbo episode 1 of season 4, entitled "An Exercise in Fatality," if you ever read Derrida's essay called "Différance." It's really helpful.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Semper Fooey
I loved Columbo but he was the most unrealistic detective of all time. He didn't carry a gun, all his suspects were either rich or killed someone rich, and none of the suspects (rich people) had a lawyer!

They will never remake Columbo with another actor (unless Hollywood is insane ).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I loved to watch "Columbo" back when it was part of NBC's "Sunday Mystery Movie" with "McCloud" and "McMillan and Wife". The In-Laws (Serpentine!) is a hoot, most everybody loves him in The Princess Bride and his most serious, out-there work was with his friend John Cassavetes. Then again, he basically played himself in Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire and he was just about as insane in the little-seen Tune in Tomorrow... as he was in The In-Laws. He received an Oscar nom for Best Supporting Actor for Murder, Inc. (1960). Add to that the fact that he had such a unique look and it's understandable why he's so lovable. He will be missed, but luckily we have the movies and TV shows.

&feature=related
(Try not to laugh too hard at the reflections in the TV)

R.I.P.

I loved Columbo but he was the most unrealistic detective of all time. He didn't carry a gun, all his suspects were either rich or killed someone rich, and none of the suspects (rich people) had a lawyer!

They will never remake Columbo with another actor (unless Hollywood is insane ).
You're right! All of those rich perps would have had their attorneys on speed dial right with their accountants!

I first saw and was impressed by Peter Falk when he played Abe Reles in Murder Inc. The real "Kid Twist" who he portrayed couldn't have been any meaner or scarier than Falk did him. The scene where he stabs Morey Amsterdam was one of the most realistic movie killings I've ever seen. Amsterdam must have taken a pretty good punch to the gut in that scene or else he was a better actor than he ever got credit for being. Thought at the time Falk would have a career of playing heavies like Lee Marvin did in his early films. Who knew Falk was a comedian at heart? He shows up in Pocketful of Miracles playing what first looks like the same Reles character (although not dressed as nicely) and he's the funniest thing in the film!!! I'm surprised he and Alan Akin were never teamed again because they were probably the funniest comedy team of their time in The In-Laws. He was a little man with a huge talent, even though it was hard to see where he was really looking with that fake eye. Sadly, there's no one now who could begin to fill his shoes.

Besides of course being absolutely indelible as Lt. Columbo, he was amazing in more arthouse fare like the Cassavetes movies and Wings of Desire, was a terrific character actor early in his career playing heavys and comic relief, was a comedy icon in the likes of The In-Laws and Murder by Death, could absolutely hit it out of the park in supporting roles in the latter years whether he had two minutes or forty minutes of screentime, and just plain seemed like the coolest, hippest guy in the room most anywhere he went.

R.I.P., Peter

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Falk In-Laws.jpg
Views:	1495
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	7376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Falk Cheap Detective.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	7377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Falk Made (2001).jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	7378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Falk Princess Bride.gif
Views:	1345
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	7379  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Columbo, The In-Laws, Murder by Death, The Princess Bride... I grew up on, and will continue to enjoy Peter Falk's work for the rest of my life.

R.I.P. Peter, and thanks for always putting a smile on my face.