Up or Where the Wild Things Are?

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ok, I know this isn't a 'help me find this movie' type question but I wasn't sure where to put it.

I want to take my 3 year old to the cinema on Saturday morning when they have cheap kids screenings. The two films this week are Up and Where the Wild Things Are. Could anyone who has seen these tell me which they think more likely to be suitable? WTWTA is PG rated - is it a bit scary or grown up for a 3 year old?

He has been to the cinema and knows how to sit still and watch a film. He's quite fond of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service (but was a bit bored by WALL-E).

I know he probably won't completely understand either of them, but I want to choose the one he'd enjoy most.

I actually thought WTWTA was a little too rough (=scary) to be suitable for very young kids but a colleague of mine just saw it with her 10 year old and he loved it. Maybe 3 is a bit too young. I'd go for Up.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think he would get more into Up at age three. "Wild Things" is geared more for sensitive 10-year-olds.

I wouldn't really recommend either for a three-year-old, but if you're dead-set on one or the other, definitely Up. Not a lot of "action", but plenty of pretty colors, and once the funny dog and bird show up (assuming they last that long), it'll be fine and dandy.

The Princess and the Frog may be even better for a kid that young, with a more typical Disney feature plot with musical numbers and such.

So those or Inglourious Basterds.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks for the tips. I think we'll give Up a try. If it's all a bit over his head we can always leave early.

Funnily enough Inglourious Basterds isn't showing at the Saturday morning movies for juniors. But I'm pretty sure Friday Next thinks Tarantino's form has dropped since Pulp Fiction anyway.

If you get the chance to take them to see The Princess And The Frog, I'd take Holden's suggestion and go for that. My 3 year old niece saw it on Sunday. It was her first time in a cinema and she sat through all of it and thoroughly enjoyed herself.

But of the two you mentioned, yes, I'd go for Up, again, for all the reasons that Holden gave and more. You'll almost certainly enjoy it more than you would WTWTA too.

Well it was all sold out that week but we went today, they were still showing Up so we saw that. I think these screenings are a good way of introducing kids to the cinema, it's not completely dark and it's full of kids so you don't get shushed if yours is noisy. Not that Friday was, he was very good and sat still eating raisins and smarties (unlike the girl next to us who kept crying whenever any of the characters got hurt or went away.) Fortunately the really sad bits at the beginning were a bit over their heads. I asked him afterwards which of the characters he liked best and he said 'the house with the balloons'. Fair enough. I quite enjoyed it anyway