The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

https://1drv.ms/x/s!As-9IsHrS2xGqzaG...t1upK?e=e3tWFJ

My prediction sheet on what movies will or might make it, if I'm missing some movies feel free to share them, sorry for the lack of 60's - 30's and pre movies not familiar with those decades. I got 70 movies on there so far and did some research around the mofo site for the movies that I have not seen so I got you all covered mofo-nites lol.

If the link don't work or having a hard time getting in it, let me know.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Of the 42 one-pointers I've only seen:

What even is American Babylon - a documentary that literally nobody has rated on IMDb or a documentary that's apparently not even been made yet? Or am I missing something obvious?

Night of Something Strange looks like it may well be my kind of jam though.

Googles IMDb American Babylon.
Note, didn't say, "went to IMDb and searched American Babylon."

"American Babylon (video 1985)"...
Godimmit, @rock, that was you, wasn't it.
Well, unlike Seven Samurai, the first plot keyword was at least "satire."

Googles IMDb American Babylon.
Note, didn't say, "went to IMDb and searched American Babylon."

"American Babylon (video 1985)"...
Godimmit, @rock, that was you wasn't it.
Well, unlike Seven Samurai, the first plot keyword was at least "satire."
Ah thanks, mystery solved

I've seen the following of the 1 pointers.

The Phantom of Liberty
The Toy
Mother, Jugs and Speed
A Day at the Races
Short Cuts
Ruthless People
Living in Oblivion
Overboard 1987
Weekend at Bernie's
Seven Samurai
Dolemite

There's a couple more I might've seen but it would've been when I was very young and honestly don't know if I have or not. I'm pretty sure I have I love You Phillip Morris, but haven't watched it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

My prediction sheet on what movies will or might make it, if I'm missing some movies feel free to share them, sorry for the lack of 60's - 30's and pre movies not familiar with those decades. I got 70 movies on there so far and did some research around the mofo site for the movies that I have not seen so I got you all covered mofo-nites lol.

Decent list. A couple on there I know won't show, but it's definitely getting into a similar direction I would assume.

That's a decent prediction, given that many ballots were light on older comedies.

Well, my one pointer somehow got love from another person (people?). Don't know whether to be disappointed or excited that someone else shared my joy of this one.

Anyway, thoughts on the one-pointers:
The Toy---Really disliked this one.
Ruthless People---It was my first R-rated movie. Didn't know what the fuss about the tape at the time, but I dug the storyline involving ransom, revenge and 80s fashion.
Overboard---I liked this one well enough...good showcase for the chemistry between Hawn and Russell.
Weekend at Bernie's---Storyline wasn't much, but there were some funny moments involving the two leads and the dead exec they desperately tried to prove was alive.
The Whole Nine Yards---OK comedy proving Bruce Willis could do more than action. Amanda Peet made the most of her character.
Scary Movie 4---Considering this franchise was based off a parody of Scream, it felt like they were running out of jokes/stories to tell at this point.
Seven Samurai---Huh? This was a comedy, how?
Goldmember---Speaking of franchises that should have quit while they were ahead...this one had a slam bang opening and never came close to catching up by the end...although I'd be down for a Foxxy Cleopatra spin-off.

The Whole Nine Yards---OK comedy proving Bruce Willis could do more than action. Amanda Peet made the most of her character.
Until I read this, my brain was just assuming the movie listed was actually The Longest Yard (1974). So I guess that's one less movie of the one-pointers I've seen.

What an interesting list of one-pointers. For me a combination of movies I don’t find funny, a bunch of stuff I never heard of, and Seven Samurai?!

Except maybe The Imposters I might check that one out.

Not gonna mention my one-pointer because it has a good chance of making the countdown.

My one pointer:

One pointers seen: 16

Ones I'm shocked are only one pointers:

Club Dread
The Toy
A Day at the Races
Pink Flamingos
Ruthless People
Weekend at Bernie's
The Whole Nine Yards
Brewster McCloud

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

High five to whoever had I Love You Phillip Morris.
High five!

I Love You Philip Morris was my #25

Jim Carrey is good in this as a persistent con man who pulls off a series of cons and prison escapes. This mostly made my list for one particular moment, which is kind of a spoiler, where the film goes completely undercuts something really quite serious with an unexpected change of direction which I found very funny. That feeling of laughter being shocked out of you is pretty memorable and, I thought, deserving of an honourable mention here on the one-pointers list.

High five!

I Love You Philip Morris was my #25

Jim Carrey is good in this as a persistent con man who pulls off a series of cons and prison escapes. This mostly made my list for one particular moment, which is kind of a spoiler, where the film goes completely undercuts something really quite serious with an unexpected change of direction which I found very funny. That feeling of laughter being shocked out of you is pretty memorable and, I thought, deserving of an honourable mention here on the one-pointers list.
For me, I always remember the moment that he
WARNING: spoilers below
jumps off of the roof in an escape attempt(?) and misses the dumpster and hits the ground

My one pointer, Ruthless People, is easily one of the best comedies of the '80s (or ever, for that matter). Dale Launer's script is brilliant, and ZAZ directs with much more flair and dexterity than they exhibited in Airplane!. What pushes the film over the top are the great performances from Danny DeVito, Bette Midler, Judge Reinhold, Helen Slater, Bill Pullman, Anita Morris, William G. Schilling, Art Evans and Clarence Felder. Even though the film is consistently funny, the scene where the final ransom dropoff occurs may rank as the funniest scene in screen history. If you don't start to choke from laughter during that scene, then get a new sense of humor. (I hope it's not necessary.)

For me, the highlight was the scene where

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
she pretends like she's being grilled by her captors when they're cooking a hamburger...and she starts revealing things that her husband didn't want to be known.

I think I could have done without the serial killer subplot.

Heavy Trip is mine. It's about an up-and-coming heavy metal band and it's probably my favorite movie of 2018. My favorite character is Pasi, who is always spouting metal trivia and quoting songs like Joe Friday on Dragnet. Metal fans and/or Spinal Tap fans would enjoy it.

You may enjoy this. Watched it on Netflix recently:

For me, the highlight was the scene where

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below

I think I could have done without the serial killer subplot.

Thought that tied it all together. Great comedy, one of my final cuts.

That's a solid list of predictions. There are a couple I don't think will show up, like some Adam Sandler films or The Cable Guy, but still some good predictions.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I'm curious whos one-pointer was Something's Gotta Give?
It is good that someone brought it here.

Happy to see we started! I'm surprised my #25 didn't make the one-pointer list lthough maybe I'm not. It's cool anyway. Also since sending in my list not a day has gone by where I remember or come across some comedy that I forgot to add or consider. That's a bit exaggerated but this morning going through this thread it was the comedies of Pietro Germi especially Divorce, Italian Style. Maybe one of his films will make the list. There's also Toto although those comedies wouldn't have made my list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Seen 16 of the one pointers with Ruthless People being my favorite comedy of the bunch. A week or two ago I posted the pickup scene with Bozo in the Post a Random Movie Scene thread hoping a few MoFo's may find that scene funny and want to check out the movie. Of the one pointers Short Cuts is by far my favorite movie but a comedy?

My one pointer, as one reviewer recalled, "Hell, the first ten minutes has necrophilia, rape and castration all played for laughs!" but wait... it gets worse. The entire premise is that the Zombie disease is spread like an STD, so the zombies are trying to bang everybody but they are meeting up with some resistance. When Jason, Carrie, Freddy and Christine end up at a motel near the outskirts of Racoon City (not really Racoon City) they grab the attention of the Head Zombie, Cornelius, and well, this isn't the Moonlite Bunny Ranch. There are other things going on with the "plot" revolving around the Motel's owner however, as I'm sure I mentioned elsewhere, plot schmot when it comes to comedies.

I get that that probably doesn't sound too good (yet) but as Ray Schillaci of The Movie Guys puts it "Night of Something Strange is like the child that acts bad just for any kind of attention. With its stock characters, including a pair of backwoods hillbillies, a slutty cheerleader, a sexually suppressed jock and an overweight sad sack teen, (Director) Jonathan Straiton has either delivered high camp in the first order or the decline of western civilization with a head-banging score." Ah, never mind. That's not helping either.

Okay, okay, okay so the movie is terrible but no chickens were harmed in the filming of it, so it has that going for it. It's a marriage of John Waters (Female Trouble) and George Romero (Dawn of the Dead) with a little Takashi Miike (Visitor Q), Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator) and Ted V. Mikels (Blood Orgy of the She Devils) thrown in for good measure. It's not a good movie, neither are the Jackass movies, but they all make me laugh and if I took my #25 movie seriously for these countdowns Ruthless People would have received 2 points, throwing the entire countdown into chaos.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

Just for the info, 3 out of these 70 are on my list.
I see there couple more of my most loved films but I just don't consider them comedy so that I didn't vote for them.