The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Indeed. I imagine the last thing anyone wants is for this comedy countdown to be rushed and turn into a farce

I played Cyberpunk 2077 day one on a last gen console, so something being clearly unfinished and buggy is not exactly a deterrent to me haha.
You may be unsurprised to hear that's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that.

There's always a tension there: people are mad a thing is delayed, but also mad if it's not as good as they hoped. Just how it goes, I get it. But in general, if it can be earlier and messy or a little later and good, I opt for the latter.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Take ya time, Yoda

I asked earlier for people to guess which director and which lead actor would appear on the list the most times. if you have not already guessed or if you want to change your guess this would be a good time to do so.

I asked earlier for people to guess which director and which lead actor would appear on the list the most times. if you have not already guessed or if you want to change your guess this would be a good time to do so.
I'm not good at guessing these things...

So, I'll say that I hope that:
the director that appears the most is Woody Allen
and the lead actor who appears the most is James Mason (implausible, I know!)

Director estimate?

Charlie Chaplin = 5
Buster Keaton = 4
John Landis = 4
Mel Brooks = 3
Harold Ramis = 3
Tom Shadyac = 3
Peter & Bobby Farrelly = 3
Edgar Wright = 2
Kevin Smith = 2
Ben Stiller = 2
Terry Gilliam = 2
Coen brothers = 2
Billy Wilder = 2
Amy Heckerling = 2
Jay Roach = 2

I think my prediction is Gilliam's going to get three. I suspect they're all going to a little low due to vote splitting (I think there'll be a number of ballots that have two of his movies, just a lot of variations on which two). I don't have a sense if that's going to be the most entries or not though.

I guess the best bet is pick someone who had their most famous and prolific era in the 70's and 80's based on those earlier tallies.

Or for most, I'll just say, "screw it, the Coens."

I don't have a sense on actor, and just want to say Bill Murray.

I think my prediction is Gilliam's going to get three. I suspect they're all going to a little low due to vote splitting (I think there'll be a number of ballots that have two of his movies, just a lot of variations on which two). I don't have a sense if that's going to be the most entries or not though.
I think he'll get officially two (Holy Grail and Brazil). What other do you see getting there?

I don't have a sense on actor, and just want to say Bill Murray.
Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, Chaplin, Keaton, Jack Lemmon? Ben Stiller? Will Ferrell?

I think he'll get officially two (Holy Grail and Brazil). What other do you see getting there?

It's always hard to guess how people go on the Holy Grail vs Life of Brian. And there might be people who go with both of those Pythons, but don't lost Brazil, which is tonally a very different movie.

I suspect Chaplin, Brooks and Allen will have the most entries director-wise.

I personally avoid voting for more than one film from a given director (unless it's a two part movie, which were on my lists the last two countdowns). Keeps the results more interesting.

Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, Chaplin, Keaton, Jack Lemmon? Ben Stiller? Will Ferrell?
I look at that list and just go, "yeah, I guess Bill Murray."

He's got longevity in the right decades, and he's in in tonally different types of comedies based on periods of his career, so he'll just randomly show up in ones people selected.

I suspect Chaplin, Brooks and Allen will have the most entries director-wise.

I personally avoid voting for more than one film from a given director (unless it's a two part movie, which were on my lists the last two countdowns). Keeps the results more interesting.

Ah, you'll be the sole vote for History of the World Part II.

Ah, you'll be the sole vote for History of the World Part II.
Alas, most of my list consists of pretty conventional picks, with a handful of exceptions further down the list, including a possible one-pointer (let's see if people can guess which one it is when they're posted).

It's always hard to guess how people go on the Holy Grail vs Life of Brian. And there might be people who go with both of those Pythons, but don't lost Brazil, which is tonally a very different movie.
Life of Brian will surely get in, but it was directed by Terry Jones, not Gilliam.

As for Brazil, I agree that the distinct one might be a factor in it not getting in, but I think it has a chance at the backend.