R.I.P. Ray Liotta

Tools    

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Wow did not expect that news. RIP.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Everyone will remember him from his iconic role in Goodfellas and rightfully so. I think he's the unsung hero in that movie when acting against heavyweights DeNiro and Pesci. The movie is in my top 5 of all-time.

I just want to point out his role in Narc was really underrated. The movie has its fans, but mostly went unseen I think. He usually pops up in supporting roles and does his thing, which is always look mean and have a temper but he did it so well.

I remember my uncle rented the 90's thriller Turbulence and I wanted to watch it but he wouldn't let me. Say whatever you want about the quality of that film (most movies set on a plane tend to be mediocre at best anyway) but he gives a delicious performance as an unhinged serial killer.

Smokin' Aces is a large cast of characters in an action film and Liotta has one of the most memorable scenes in an elevator.

Identity is another large cast flick with some twists and Liotta once again is one of the best performances within the film. If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favour and watch it. It's basically Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None set in a motel.

Want another flick with an insane cast? Cop Land. Everyone delivers in that one and Liotta once again, stands out among the cast. Stallone gives a really good performance that is outside his comfort zone while everyone else does their usual thing, but Liotta's usual thing is really good.

His voice is imprinted in my brain and that is thanks to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. My favourite of the GTA games due to the location, music, story and performances. He gives the best voice performances in that entire series.

Suspect's Reviews

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I know he was in his late 60's and all but it still seems way too young. Feels random somehow. I hope Copland gets mentioned when people talk about his best roles.

RIP Mr. Liotta.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
The first movie I remember seeing him in was Field of Dreams. Loved him in that.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Heartbreakers (2001)

After Goodfellas, this is the movie I remember. All TV channels here broadcasted it to death during the 2000's.

What in the actual? Arghhh!!!

I ain't ready for Ben Affleck to be the old guard.

Jesus did not see this coming...severely underrated actor who never got the recognition he deserved. Loved Henry Hill, but if the truth be told my favorite Liotta performance was as Johnny Depp's father in Blow...a perfect combination of strength and vulnerability. Loved that character. RIP

First Fred Ward, then Ray Liotta, and I put those 2 together because my vocal reaction was identical to seeing the news, "Oh no!".

Funny thing with Liotta, when first seeing Goodfellas he was the only thing in the film I didnt actually adore. In fact I didnt even start warming to him until the movie Narc, but then every appearance after that I was able to enjoy his work. Was it the weight gain, him losing his boyish looks? I dont know.

Aside from his craft I heard a moving story about something that happened in his life before becoming famous. He was engaged to a woman, and the 2 were very much in love. She suffered some accident which left her paralyzed, I believe from the neck down. He was unphased and still wanted to marry her, but she would have none of it as she loved him equally so and wanted him to live a full life unhindered by being burdened with her.

There are many great actors in Hollywood, and outside of Hollywood, but rarely can you find such a decent man in this business. R.I.P. Ray, I know where youre at right now.

Interesting that he was adopted.

Very shocked to hear---he was relatively young so I certainly wasn't expecting this. Liked Ray quite a bit. Besides the obvious "Goodfellas" and "Field of Dreams," I liked him in these movies:

"Corrina, Corrina" (1999) where he played opposite Whoopi Goldberg. Ray had top-billing and I remember it mostly for him.

"Hannibal" (2001) The inferior sequel to "Silence of the Lambs" (mostly because of no Jodie Foster) where Ray is still great as he plays a total turd of an FBI agent whom Hannibal makes sure pays for his rudeness. As grim as what was going with his character near the end of the film, I was laughing out loud in the theater because there was some very black humor going on, mostly coming out of Liotta's mouth.

"Wild Hogs" (2007) The one with Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, and William H. Macy as respectable businessmen and homebodies who take off on the road on motorcycles for a long road trip. They run afoul of a bad biker bunch with Ray Liotta as the leader. Ray was really funny in this, even playing his usual bad guy.

"Killing Them Softly" (2012) Liotta plays support in this thriller about a group of screwups who rob a mob poker game hosted by second-tier mobster (Liotta) who gets the blame but somehow keeps dodging the fatal bullets meant for him. I really liked this even though a lot of people didn't.

"Blackway" (2015) This seems to be really disliked but I loved it. A young woman hires a seemingly mild-mannered older man (Anthony Hopkins, reunited with Liotta) to protect her from a killer (Liotta, of course). Very involving flick.

Godspeed, Ray.