In the Heart of the Sea (2015)

Tools    

121 min | Action, Adventure, Drama, History

Release Date: 11 December 2015

Based on the 1820 event, a whaling ship is preyed upon by a sperm whale, stranding its crew at sea for 90 days, thousands of miles from home.

Director: Ron Howard
Writer: Charles Leavitt
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Tom Holland

Trailer #1:

Trailer #2:

It's "middle-whelming", not that good, but not worthless either. I think the real story of guys spending 3 months in rowboats eating each other would have been too much for the audience, so they had to dress it up with plot elements not in the book and make the starvation and cannibalism just a small part of the movie. The digital animation of the ocean and the big whale isn't that good and gets worse in 3D. The book was interesting, but the movie is disappointing.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It looked disappointing. I don't see how this movie got made, outside of Howard pushing it as a passion project.

I just never heard of anyone crying for a movie adaptation of Moby Dick (...or based on the events that inspired yadda-ya).

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Disappointing... Everything seemed "almost good", except the scrip,that was completely awful. There is a good movie somewhere inside this, but Ron Howard didn't find it.

+

excited to see this one

It looked disappointing. I don't see how this movie got made, outside of Howard pushing it as a passion project.

I just never heard of anyone crying for a movie adaptation of Moby Dick (...or based on the events that inspired yadda-ya).
I am surprised that Howard didn't make Moby-Dick, which is in need of a decent modern remake I think. I saw a bit of the William Hurt version and although I like him as an actor, I couldn't see how he matched Ahab in the novel; Gregory Peck was awesome.

Not only that, there was a TV film about the Essex made a few years ago.